Possible to pause recording on ATEM Mini Pro ISO

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

cayblood

Possible to pause recording on ATEM Mini Pro ISO

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 1:47 am

I'm trying to replace my Ecamm Live setup on my Mac with an ATEM Mini Pro ISO. The one thing I'm still trying to find is the ability to pause a live recording. This is really handy for computer tutorials where I have to spend a long time waiting for a task to finish. It saves me a lot of time to be able to pause my recording rather than trim out these parts in post-production. Does anyone know if this is possible? If not, Blackmagic folks, can you please consider adding a command for this? I would like to build a macro for it.

fk_urban

Re: Possible to pause recording on ATEM Mini Pro ISO

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:54 pm

Has this question been answered? I too would like to be able to pause recording.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 2:54 am

No, there is no pause option unfortunately, you can only stop the recording and start a new one.

The closest you can get to this is on the ATEM Mini ISO models, is if you keep the name of the recorded project file the same, then when you stop the recording and start a new one, all of the video clips will be appended to the same DaVinci Resolve project file. But you'd still need to open the project in Resolve and do an export of the footage if you wanted to create a single clip of the entire session. Of course using Resolve would give you an opportunity to add transitions or other effects to bridge the time gaps between the different clips, which could be useful in some cases.

The only Blackmagic recorder I am aware of that lets you append multiple recording sequences into a single clip is the Duplicator 4K which has a dedicated append button for this purpose.

Darryl

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 3:43 am

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:...The closest you can get to this is on the ATEM Mini ISO models, is if you keep the name of the recorded project file the same, then when you stop the recording and start a new one, all of the video clips will be appended to the same DaVinci Resolve project file. ...

Note that if you do this, there will be a gap in the Resolve timeline while the recording is "paused".
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Howard Roll

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 9:47 am

On the Edit page all gaps in a timeline can be deleted with 2 clicks, edit>delete gaps.

Good Luck

Darryl

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 2:40 am

Howard Roll wrote:On the Edit page all gaps in a timeline can be deleted with 2 clicks, edit>delete gaps.

Good Luck

True, but he will only have gaps if he starts and stops the recording. Another thing to consider is that eliminating the gaps changes the time code of the clips in the timeline which can make life interesting if you want to edit using sync’s clips.

Darryl
Darryl Severn

Kit:

Howard Roll

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 2:21 pm

Deleting gaps will change the clips position on the timeline, the timecode of the clips doesn’t change.

Good Luck

Darryl

PostWed Oct 26, 2022 9:30 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Deleting gaps will change the clips position on the timeline, the timecode of the clips doesn’t change.

Good Luck

To clarify, if you have sync'd clips on a timeline and you delete gaps, the the clips on the timeline change their timecode but not the source clips. This will cause problems adding new clips to the timeline after removing the gaps if you want them also sync'd as it will sync the new clips to where they were in the timeline, not their current position. The lesson is to wait until all sync'd clips are on the timeline before closing up the gaps.
Darryl Severn

Kit:

Return to Live Production