ISO Recordings

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mykdw1

ISO Recordings

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 11:12 pm

Ok I have the Atem TVS HD and I love it but I feel like maybe I should have either gone up some levels or even went down to the Atem mini ISO.

Am I right that if I want to record all the inputs separately, like the Atem Mini Pro ISO does, I would have to have a hyperdeck on each camera then go into the switcher? Or is there a different way?

Plus if I want to do animated Lower 3rds I would need to use a. third party or b. have another hypedeck?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: ISO Recordings

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 6:51 am

Correct, there is no built-in ISO recording on any ATEM model other than the ATEM Mini ISO, so you would need to use some kind of separate video recorder if you want to record these individual feeds. Note that for camera input sources, it may be possible to do ISO recordings in-camera (although this would not work for video inputs from other sources).

In terms of animated lower thirds, this is not a built-in feature of any of the ATEM models, so the way to accomplish this is by sending the overlays into the ATEM through the hardware video inputs. For the cleanest overlays, this typically requires two video inputs to the ATEM: one for the fill content and one for the key or alpha.

They HyperDeck Studio Mini has the two video outputs needed for playing out such video overlays, but it is also possible to generate overlays via a graphics system running on a computer with DeckLink or UltraStudio device (that supports fill/key output). Computer operated graphics systems (often called character generators) tend to be much more flexible, although they may be a bit more involved to get started with than a HyperDeck.

Rather than using two video inputs to the ATEM for proper key and fill signals, some people just send a single (fill) video signal into the ATEM for overlays and then use luma or chroma keying to cut-out some portion of the frame (similar to what might be done for green screen video). Depending on the content, it can often be harder to get clean edges or partial transparency with just a single input overlay, but the advantage is that you only take up one of your ATEM video inputs and don't need special video output hardware (like a DeckLink/UltraStudio device). Instead you can just use a computer's HDMI output for example.

jallen0

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 1:53 pm

After reading this I had a quick question. If I had the ISO, a BMPCC 6K, and another brand of camera, what would the resolve file look like? I am guessing it would only have the BMPCC 6K file in there.

If I timecode synced both cameras however could I then use the generated Resolve file and replace all of the HD footage with 4K footage?
2019 MacPro, 160GB Memory, 4TB Drive, 4TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG Ultrafine 5k, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 55" LG C8 OLED
Resolve Editor Keyboard, Mini Panel, Ultrastudio 4K Mini
Current Resolve Ver. 16.2.7.008

Steve Kanefsky

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 2:22 am

The Resolve file references the ISO recordings that the ATEM makes itself. It doesn't include any in-camera recordings whether you're using BMPCC cameras or not. However the ISO can optionally trigger the BMPCC cameras to record, and it will pass the appropriate filename and timecode to the BMPCC cameras so that you can more easily add those recordings into the Davinci project and select the option of editing with "camera originals" (as Davinci refers to them) instead of the ISO recordings.

From my experimentation the ability to recognize the camera originals is based primarily on the file naming. The camera original filenames are identical to the ISO filenames except for the ".braw" extension. So it's possible you could fool it into using recordings from a 3rd-party cameras but there's also really nothing too difficult about just adding recordings from 3rd-party cameras to your project in the normal way and synchronizing based on sound or by timecode (if you happened to have a way to keep that in sync with the ATEM).

I guess if you really wanted to preserve all the live camera switches that the ATEM had recorded into the Davinci project you might need to either do the file renaming trick or see if you could relink the media from the ISO recording and have it point to the in-camera recording or something.

jallen0

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks Steve. I have a BMPCC6K and getting the 12K as well as a Sony A7sIII camera. I am looking to do some multi-camera live shoots that will need some editing afterwards and I don't have the ATEM Mini Pro ISO in-house yet so I couldn't test it myself.

Sounds like I can shoot using two or three cameras and then easily drop-in the uncompressed footage easily. And yes, they should all be timecode synced as well.

My only concern will be matching all of the colors together. I am honestly just thinking about picking up another 6K just for this project and maybe not worrying about it at all.
2019 MacPro, 160GB Memory, 4TB Drive, 4TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB

mykdw1

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Well that is what I thought. So it is probably just better to record the program out and if I want to record individual cameras do that on the device itself.

I have a UltraStudio HD, which I use to connect to my computer so ZOOM can see my switcher. Sounds like I could get a UltraStudio recorder and use that for the connection and the Key/Fill from the UltraStudio HD for graphics.

Mow probably dumb question, but what would be the smarter choice. Record with the hyperdeck or use Key and Fill from the hyperdeck and the UltraStudio for the other?

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 5:02 pm

mykdw1 wrote:if I want to record all the inputs separately I would have to have a hyperdeck on each camera

I would just record in-camera. That's how it was done for decades.

Steve Kanefsky

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I would just record in-camera. That's how it was done for decades.

Not all cameras have recording capability (Blackmagic Studio cameras for example). The cameras might also be mounted in locations where it's inconvenient to access the media and in most cases the recordings have to be started and stopped directly on the camera. It may be difficult to verify from the working position whether the camera is recording or not. Some cameras also have limits on recording time or can overheat after recording continuously for too long. Cameras may also record using undesirable codecs or compression ratios.

External recorders can be rack mounted in a convenient location and often can be controlled remotely or even transfer the recordings over a network without having to juggle physical media at all. External recorders also can support higher capacity media or have the ability to hot swap media and record indefinitely. They can also record in codecs or compression ratios that are higher quality and/or more suitable for editing.

jallen0

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
mykdw1 wrote:if I want to record all the inputs separately I would have to have a hyperdeck on each camera

I would just record in-camera. That's how it was done for decades.

Yes, except the IOS allows multiple images to come together that are not cameras. For instance, iPad and video drops. Being able to switch everything live and then go back and just drop in 4K footage from the cameras brings it up a step I think. Without keeping everything at 4K, which would then require another type of M/E mixer.

Return to Live Production