Newbie advice please

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

PianoPete

Newbie advice please

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 4:48 am

I am a piano instructor and am setting up online lessons. I am considering purchasing the ATEM mini as I need 3+ video inputs & 2 audio inputs is useful.

Current equipment:
2014 MacBook Pro
Canon Vixia HF R600
Tascam DR-44WL (for piano mic)
2 x 12.9 IPad pros (2nd gen)
Sure SM 58 stage mic (for vocal mic)

1- What is the best way to send video feeds from the iPads to the ATEM mini? Is it possible to simultaneously charge the iPads?
2-I’d rather a lav mic than the Sure 58 but I’m on a tight budget..I am guessing the ATEM mini audio inputs are TRS. The lav mics I’ve looked at are TRRS. I know there are adapters available but it seems there’s a lot of confusion out there and I’d like to know how to best navigate.
3-Can I monitor video on the MacBook or do I need a separate monitor?

Thanks!

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Newbie advice please

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 7:08 pm

1. You should be able use the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter which has an HDMI output with the iPads. Also, see this thread about iPhone video output which discusses apps for outputting a clean video feed: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102983

2. Yes, the 3.5mm audio inputs on the ATEM Mini are TRS unbalanced stereo inputs. If you have a free XLR input on the Tascam DR-44L, you could probably run all of the microphones through that, and then take the 3.5mm output from the Tascam into the ATEM Mini (set to line input).

3. The multiview output on the ATEM Mini Pro and ATEM Mini Pro ISO is only available on the HDMI output which requires a dedicated monitor. The program output can be monitored through the USB-C webcam output connected to a computer (assuming that the USB-C port is not needed for local USB recording).

jduvick

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 3:42 am

Further to question 1: the Apple HDMI adapter includes a Lightning port for power to your 2nd gen iPads.
And Airmix:solo is the best way I’ve found to get a clean camera output with 16:9 and no bars. Free app. Hint: swipe left and right simultaneously to get rid of the control interface. Long press to switch cameras. Another hint: under some connection conditions— such as disconnect/ reconnect HDMI while app is open— you may get other than 16:9 output. If so, quit and relaunch the app. Good luck with the lessons.

PianoPete

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Thank you!
1- As they are 2nd gen iPads they have lightning not USB-C. I assume that’s not an issue as I just need the lighting adapters instead.

1A- I’ve seen instructional videos of people using the iPads directly into the system. They never mentioned anything about problems with the video or using a 3rd party app. I need to use one as a live camera feed and the other as a screen share for written music. I guess I’ll have to figure that out.

2- Yes I’m planning on running the vocal mic through the Tascam and mix there. Seems easier to have one audio into the ATEM mini in case I have to deal with delay, plus the Tascam has meters. Do you think I should purchase an XLR lav mic or would something else work better? The Tascam has phantom power for one.

3- How important is it to use the ATEM mini software? It needs a later OS than I’m running and I’d rather not upgrade due to incompatibility with other apps I use.

Thanks again!

jduvick

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 2:11 am

HI Piano Pete,

1. Yes lightning not an issue. I'd get an Apple-certified adapter for best results.

1A. 3rd party app is necessary to get a clean feed in full 16:9 format. Otherwise you have stuff on the screen and black bars at each end. But it's not a big deal, just download Airmix Solo for iPad, it's a free app. See my advice above about its quirky controls. FilmicPro can also do this according to a recent update, but it's $14.99.

2. Dave had good advice on bringing the audio in. You will need to add some delay on the audio channel due to HDMI lag. Click below the Input 'knob' for the audio channel to bring up a delay interface and dial in 2 to 6 frames, see what works best.
There could be ways to bring the audio in to the iPad over USB so it's automatically synced with video, but that would maybe get a bit fiddley.

Lav would be nice if you are moving around a bit, there are also some dynamic (non-phantom) models like the SM-11.

3. You'll need to use the ATEM software to configure the live stream, audio, etc. so unfortunately upgrading & installing it is the only path.

-Jon

PianoPete

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 9:15 pm

I’ve gotten the clean full screen HDMI out using Arimix thanks! I plan on using my 2nd iPad for sharing written music using Forscore or Newzic on channel three of the ATEM mini, no camera needed on that one. How can I screen share that in full screen?

Also I think I’m going to need to get Filmic pro as the selfie camera is reversed in Airmix, and from what I’ve been told Airmix can’t horizontally reverse the image, unless the ATEM mini can handle that...

You guys are great thanks so much for the help!

Return to Live Production