What Kind of Fiber Cabling

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

khogan1784

What Kind of Fiber Cabling

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 2:38 am

Hey, Im trying to find out what is the cheapest but best fiber cable. I need to run at least 750 to 1000 ft of fiber for cameras, So if someone can give me some brand names, that would be great.

Richard Courtney

Re: What Kind of Fiber Cabling

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 2:51 am

Neil Richards

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 8:12 am

Many of the links in the original thread seem to be dead, although it's still useful.

Neil

Richard Courtney

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Neil,

http://www.industrialnetworking.com/Category/Harsh-Environment-Fiber-Optic-Connectors/Siemon-LC-Fiber-Plug-XPLC2-SM
Might the cheapest route if you are comfortable making the ends.
The original post is over a year old.

Most here, have gone with Neutrik connectors as they are more durable.
These Siemon are plastic but will get the job done!

Brian Hancock

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 6:12 pm

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Tactica ... bles.xhtml

http://whirlwindusa.com/new-products/battle-flex/

http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/Cab ... iber-Snake

http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/Cab ... ber-Snakes

here are a number of options ... as far as brand names ... corning, belden, occ, afl, there are lots ... its about comparing apples to apples for the most part each has some benefits but at the end of the day its probably what you prefer most just get tactical cable and you won't go wrong ... note the camera converters from bmd as well as their other boxes have lc connectors ... the link given before taticalfiber.com has come up with a opticon adapter for the boxes which is great and a must for any roaming camera, or anyone who isn't used to working with fiber ... personally i hate lc connectors for broadcast they are flimsy ... st is the default standard for broadcast is like a mini bnc ...

Neil Richards

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks guys. $60 for one plastic connector - I find the prices eye-watering ;)

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 9:17 pm

one of the cheapest places to buy fiber is fiber.com. 1000 ft of 4 strand indoor/outdoor with LC connectors can be had for less than $700. and yes, if you need two strands you should really be buying 4 or 6 strand cable. nothing sucks more than stringing fiber and finding out one of the strand doesn't work, or got broken during the deployment (or previous de-rig). and you never know when that extra strand or two might come in handy!

In our case we have standardized all of our cabling on the ST connector and singlemode glass. Gear with differing connectors are then rack cased by job needs, and short jumpers installed to a connector panel on the box, at which point everything becomes ST. So now we only have one type of cable to worry about, and most of the people we interact with have ST as well so everything becomes plug and play. repatching due to changing needs or failures becomes very easy as well.

The big thing with fiber is to just realize that its a bit delicate and needs extra care. protect the ends and don't kink the middle.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

szentgaltv

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 10:45 am

I'm looking for hybrid cables that works with ATEM Studio Converter. I would like to use this to send power to the cameras near the optical cables. So the cable need to contains two optical and two copper wires. Is there anybody who use this kind of cable?

Richard Courtney

Neutrik OpticalCon Duo with copper wires for power

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 1:49 pm

We looked into this and determined the additional cost was more than an extra battery.

You need to have a DC to DC power supply at the camera end. With the cable length and amount
of current needed to power the camera, fiber converter, and an optional display for prompter
you need a higher voltage than you operate from. 48 Volt to 12 is pretty common. You can find
V-mount (or whatever your camera uses) cases to mount the converters in.

Scott B

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 10:14 am

szentgaltv wrote:I'm looking for hybrid cables that works with ATEM Studio Converter. I would like to use this to send power to the cameras near the optical cables. So the cable need to contains two optical and two copper wires. Is there anybody who use this kind of cable?

i dont think you can use hybrid cables with the ATEM camera converters. i haven't seen anything that will separate the power from the fiber connections. However, i use telecast coppehead systems with SMPTE fiber to supply all my camera connection needs.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 1:44 pm

@Scott,

What you would need then is a chassis fiber connector to connect you cable at. (like a fibrecon / opticon) And from there a conversion fiber lead to LC*? for the converter (*not sure atm if it was LC)
From that same chassis connector there will be electrical leads which can be feed into your power converter electronica.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Brian Hancock

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 11:27 pm

unless you already own the bmd products there are other options out there i know this is a bmd forum but their camera products just have serious deficiencies for serious productions they are great for what they are and nifty boxes for the money but when you compare them to something like telemetrics camera control systems that can use either dual coax or hybrid cables or some combination of all that and you get ccu, intercom, genlock, tally and can work with various camera models ccu controllers standard intercoms etc.

Rich Rubin

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi -- Rich Rubin here from Tactical Fiber Systems. We just released our New "BullsEye™ " tactical fiber cables priced much lower than tactical fiber cables with Neutrik opticalCON connectors...offering excellent protection against contamination and damage. TFS BullsEye™ cables connect to ATEM Camera and Studio Converters via our NEW BullsEye™ cable adapters and patch panels. For info - see http://tacticalfiber.com/tacticalfiberreel.php

Here's some important points about the various Tactical Fiber cables we manufacture for ATEM camera and studio converters:

TFS Tactical Fiber Cables terminated with Duplex LC Connectors - Most economical but provide poor protection against contamination unless small plastic dust caps are in place during deployment. Duplex LC connectors are plastic and prone to damage without extra care during deployment. TFS tactical fiber cables with LC connectors must be terminated with relatively smaller 3.0 mm break-out cables that fit within the 3.0mm boots of the LC connectors. As such, they are less durable than the main tactical fiber cable and should be handled carefully.

TFS Tactical Fiber Cables terminated with TFS BullEye™ Connectors - Offer best value while providing excellent protection against contamination and damage. Cables include heavy-duty waterproof dust covers attached to cable ends. TFS BullsEye™ cables and accessories are highly recommended for use with ATEM Camera Converters equipped with TFS BullsEye Cable adapters and competitive systems connected via BullsEye coupler/patch cables. Lightweight, strong and made to withstand heavy foot traffic. See http://tacticalfiber.com/bullseye_connector_reel.php

TFS Tactical Fiber Cables terminated with Neutrik opticalCON® Connectors[/color] - Most expensive while providing excellent protection against contamination via a "shutter system" built into opticalCON connectors. Dust covers are heavy-duty but not water-proof. Use them with ATEM Camera Converters equipped with TFS opticalCON Cable Adapters or legacy fiber camera systems with opticalCON sockets. opticalCON Connectors are relatively heavy and add considerable weight to belt-worn ATEM camera converter/TFS opticalCON cable adapter systems.

For more info: Visit http://www.tacticalfiber.com or give me a call at 877-777-7147.

Cheers!

Rich Rubin
Tactical Fiber Systems, Inc.
877-777-7147
http://www.TacticalFiber.com

Return to Live Production