Usage of a Streaming Bridge

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BennoZ

Usage of a Streaming Bridge

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 8:00 am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the benefit is of a Streaming Bridge? You will get the same results by connecting a PC/Mac to see the stream, set it full screen and get the HMI out. Or am I missing something? I know the delay will be much lesser with the Streaming Bridge but if you don't mind the result is the same right?
Last edited by BennoZ on Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManchesterV

Re: Usage of a Streaming Bridge

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 1:31 pm

As a PGM out it will have some latency if used for local monitoring. Probably not a great deal more than over USB.

You can see the latency in the video BMD showed when they demonstrated it.

You would of course loose the live streaming feature if you used the RTMP for local monitoring. But you could hook up a separate encoder (HDMI or SDI).

For remote feed usage it's more useful in a broadcast workflow.

I'm sure it will sell okay but SRT and WebRTC are here and there's the other (more expensive) established solutions from Teradek etc.

We can see uses for it with some of our international clients - it's likely that the Mini series won't be the only compatible ATEMs as new products arrive. It will also be good if it's not strictly limited to ATEM devices.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 2:53 pm

SB must have bigger delay then USB on Computer
http://www.media-planet.sk
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://tally.pytkin.sk

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSun Oct 25, 2020 10:25 am

The purpose of the ATEM Streaming Bridge is to allow for streaming over a network without having to use an online streaming platform. There are various reasons you might want to do this:

1. The stream is on a local network (within a company, organization, venue, etc.) which is not intended for public broadcast over the public internet.
  2. You want to view the stream on a TV or monitor without needing to setup a computer with software to view the stream.
  3. To be able to use a program video output from the ATEM if using HDMI output for multiview.

If you were to stream from the ATEM Mini Pro through an online streaming platform like YouTube, Facebook, etc. and then watch the public stream on a computer (or another device), you will find the stream is several seconds behind live time (maybe as much as 30 seconds depending on the platform). This is far too much latency for a lot of monitoring needs. In contrast, the Streaming Bridge seems to have a latency of 1 second or less (on a local network).

BennoZ

PostSun Oct 25, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks a lot Dave! Very clear to me now.

CY4PGH

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 2:12 am

Dave Del Vecchio thank you for that. I originally assumed before I got the streaming bridge that I could stream in house and online at the same time with the ATEM Mini Pro but I think I've learned that you can only choose one or the other? Or, if it is possible to stream to both at the same time, can you explain how to do that?

Thank you!

samhoro

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Our church has set our ATEM Mini Pro and Streaming Bridge this way:
- HDMI output is Multiview for live video mixing
- USB-C output into Windows PC running OBS, streaming to Vimeo
- Built-in encoder streaming to Streaming Bridge for overflow seating room(s)

Still experimenting. May use one of those outputs to fold the broadcast program back into in-house projection for special events like baptisms.

Joechap

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 7:23 pm

samhoro wrote:Our church has set our ATEM Mini Pro and Streaming Bridge this way:
- HDMI output is Multiview for live video mixing
- USB-C output into Windows PC running OBS, streaming to Vimeo
- Built-in encoder streaming to Streaming Bridge for overflow seating room(s)

Still experimenting. May use one of those outputs to fold the broadcast program back into in-house projection for special events like baptisms.

Is thi working for you? We have the same issue 1) want to send the feed to our cafe down stairs and 2) want to live stream to Vimeo. I want to be sure this works before shelling out the money for the bridge.

Thanks

daniel.ross622

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 6:54 pm

Please, how do you use the ATEM Mini Pro for both streaming and also sending video to TV's "in house" with a streaming bridge? We are trying to figure this out at my church so we can have video in the nursery and overflow areas.

Return to Live Production