ATEM Mini Pro - Basic Set-up

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MisterBobTheTomato

ATEM Mini Pro - Basic Set-up

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 4:14 pm

Good morning folks.

We will be purchasing an ATEM Mini Pro shortly. I am uncertain on one aspect, however. I believe that this unit can function as a standalone (for streaming to FB Live, etc.). Does this mean that I'll just connect a monitor to it so I can see what's happening OR do I need to connect a computer to run its programming?

Thanks so much.

Bob

tpchmara

Re: ATEM Mini Pro - Basic Set-up

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 1:15 am

Hi, Bob!
The unit can do many things without a computer connected. You *do* need a computer connected to
  • Set up the initial configuration (using the ATEM Setup software);
  • Using the ATEM Software Control to make any adjustments you need (e.g. setting "mic" inputs to "mic" or "line";
  • Copying the "streaming key" and the server info for your chosen service to be loaded into the ATEM (also using Software Control)
At this point, the ATEM can be used without a computer - a monitor attached to the HDMI output and the output set to "multiview" will let you monitor the HDMI inputs and choose the one to switch (you can also use ATEM Setup if you want to configure the switching modes (it defaults to "cut" mode; we got tired of that pretty quick).
You *also* need to be running your computer if you want to update the "still" image (we use this for the intro and ending slides) - the ATEM will *store* up to 20 of these in persistent memory - but you can't select anything except what's in "slot 1" through the console buttons. So we fire up a laptop halfway through - and switch the still image to the closing image :-)

Tom

MisterBobTheTomato

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Thank you so much, Tom. Great explanation!

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 pm

One caveat from experience.

Even if you don't need the Laptop for a particular job, always have a Laptop available.

Needs sometimes change unexpectedly. ;)

Return to Live Production