New micro converters? Game changer?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

David Hutchinson

New micro converters? Game changer?

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 am

Looks like BMD just quietly announced new micro converter 3g models.

These will interface control data between Pocket 4k and ATEMS
or
Interface control data between ATEM mini and BMD SDI cameras.

Wow

Just "wow"

Al Slamecka

Re: New micro converters? Game changer?

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm

The question I have is whether you can use two of these converters to extend the range of a P4K camera connected to an ATEM Mini Pro and still have camera control. So basically HDMI-to-SDI on the camera end and SDI-to-HDMI on the switcher end.

I'd really like BMD to develop devices that would preserve camera control and allow transmission over an IP network but if the scenario above works that's a pretty cost effective way to extend how far a camera can be located from the ATEM Mini switcher.

I'm a bit skeptical this would work as it appears you need to set a camera number in the converter utility software that identifies the camera to the switcher. That would need to propagate thru the second converter to the P4k so it seems unlikely unless they designed for this scenario.

Howard Roll

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Game changer? For these guys maybe https://www.middlethings.co

What would be game changing is for BM to abandon all this backdoor, CEC, SDI, HDMI, Sbus, PWM, BT, BS and use ethernet for camera control.

Al Slamecka wrote:The question I have is whether you can use two of these converters to extend the range of a P4K camera connected to an ATEM Mini Pro and still have camera control. So basically HDMI-to-SDI on the camera end and SDI-to-HDMI on the switcher end.

If the camera ID is being injected by the TX everything should work. The RX must pass the Cam ID from the studio cams, there's no logical reason the data would be stripped from the TX.

Good Luck

David Hutchinson

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Al Slamecka wrote:The question I have is whether you can use two of these converters to extend the range of a P4K camera connected to an ATEM Mini Pro and still have camera control. So basically HDMI-to-SDI on the camera end and SDI-to-HDMI on the switcher end.

I have a couple of 100m HDMI fibre cables which work perfectly. Makes more sense than 2x converters. Cheaper too. I bought mine from Amazon for about £80 (US$100).

jallen0

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 10:39 pm

David Hutchinson wrote:

I have a couple of 100m HDMI fibre cables which work perfectly. Makes more sense than 2x converters. Cheaper too. I bought mine from Amazon for about £80 (US$100).

I just purchased 4 50' HDMI cables that work. I would have liked to use the SDI option had I known about it. I feel that this was something that BMD could have said to their customers that they were working on this when we had that long discussion about which HDMI cables to use. No one would have been able to put something out ahead of time and the users that were interested in it would have held off buying fiber optic HDMI cables that do not have the durability. It's a small complaint but one that differentiates a good company from a great company.

If I have a longer run than 50' will I buy this product. Yes, without a doubt. But I would have liked to buy it today instead of some other time in the future.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Michael_Andreas

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 4:56 am

The description of the Bi-directional version suggests that this might be the case. Emphasis on "might".

Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G

Get the world’s smallest bidirectional broadcast quality converter! Convert SDI to HDMI and at the same time HDMI to SDI, even in different formats! Plus it supports camera control protocol conversion, so you can use Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras with professional SDI live production switchers!

Daniel Tufvesson

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 11:51 am

Michael_Andreas wrote:

The description of the Bi-directional version suggests that this might be the case. Emphasis on "might".
Sure looks like it from reading the manual. This is great!
bidi3gextend.png
bidi3gextend.png (65.66 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

This makes me wonder if it's possible to use the "spare" HDMI in/out for sending program feed back to the camera operator on a separate HDMI monitor.
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

Michael_Andreas

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 1:36 pm

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:This makes me wonder if it's possible to use the "spare" HDMI in/out for sending program feed back to the camera operator on a separate HDMI monitor.

The note in the manual right below the schematic you clipped suggests that to be the case:
NOTE The micro converter’s HDMI output will automatically detect if video is present on the SDI input. If no video is detected the HDMI output will become a loop out of the HDMI input and can be used for remote monitoring. Additionally, any video and audio connected to the converter’s HDMI input will be transmitted on the SDI output.

Howard Roll

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 3:19 am

Utilizing the Bi-Directional Converters as TX/RX pairs should yield a bonus monitor channel in both directions, which is very cool.

The next iteration of the converter could be a fibre module that's HDMI/SDI agnostic but...

Good Luck

Mike Neyens

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 10:28 am

Hi! Do any of you guys know if the BiDirectional converters will also support LUTs?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 11:57 am

Mike Neyens wrote:Hi! Do any of you guys know if the BiDirectional converters will also support LUTs?
No, looking at the manual, it seems like only the one directional converters have a LUTs page in the Setup Utility software for loading and enabling a LUT. So you would have to use either the new SDI to HDMI 3G or HDMI to SDI 3G converter for this feature:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 5772810000

The SDI to HDMI 3G model does include an option for enabling the LUT on the loop-through SDI output, so you could use this converter as a kind of pass-through LUT box for SDI signals somewhere in the chain, if needed.

Return to Live Production