ATEM Mini ISO + Zoom continues to make me feel like a moron

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

brandonwatson

ATEM Mini ISO + Zoom continues to make me feel like a moron

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 8:01 pm

I have the ATEM Mini Pro ISO, and I am recording hosted zoom calls direct from the ATEM Mini ISO USB-C to SSD.

Let me start with - I know I am doing this wrong/likely over complicating this. My brain goes in circles when I try to figure out how to make this work correctly.

I have an external microphone for improved audio - Blue Yeti Nano.

I have the following config with my ATEM:
* vid1 - GoPro9 (blue yeti direct 3.5mm line into this camera)
* vid2 - GrPro9
* vid3 - Surface Go (hosting the zoom call; the Go is a very underpowered device but it can do this one job)
* vid4 - main laptop (for taking notes during the zoom call; i also plan to use this laptop for SW demos)
* HDMI out - to a 24" monitor
* RJ45 - connected to router
* mic1 - empty
* mic2 - empty

I was completely new to any of this tech 2 months ago. I have read through the forums, used google, etc. I am fairly technical in general, but I just can't seem to figure out the right way to do this, nor the google query to get me to the right answer.

Main Ask: "best" way to get the audio from the zoom call onto the recording while still using my blue yeti.

My current solve for this is to have the zoom call hosted on a surface go. That has the USB-C to HDMI out to the ATEM. The hosted zoom call is set to use the ATEM as the speakers, and I have the mic on the Go muted.

So that I can hear the person I am interviewing and not get audio loopback I dial into the zoom call from my phone. I have a bluetooth earpiece for this.

I haven't figured out how to get the audio from the call to the ATEM without an echo except for having a macro to flip between which microphone is on (vid1 vs vid3). I have to remember to toggle between them so that I can do my speaking with the good microphone (i am also toggling to use vid1 as Program) to when I am "listening", in which case I toggle to vid3 as Program (which puts me pic in pic and candidate in large vid), and turn off mic on vid1 and turn on mic on vid3.

I would love someone to help me sort out how to use my blue yeti for all audio input, but allow my candidate to hear me on the zoom call, no matter which camera I have as Program.

Requirements:
* I must be using the USB-C out on the ATEM for recording - this is basically non-negotiable as the reason I bought the ISO was to have the diff vid feeds.

* I am fine with macros, but I would love to avoid macros that leave me with a gap in audio. My current setup (vid1 as Program) leaves the recording without audio from the candidate on the zoom call which vid1=Program. I cannot turn on the vid3 mic with the vid1 mic when vid1=Program because I get the echo of my voice on both sources.

* Recording via Zoom is a non-starter. The vid quality is terrible.

* I'm not opposed to buying more gear (audio mixer) but that's one more thing I know nothing about so I don't want to just buy stuff without knowing I can't solve my problem as it stands with the gear I have. This learning curve has been entertaining.

Katstreamer

Re: ATEM Mini ISO + Zoom continues to make me feel like a mo

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 5:06 am

Maybe I am misunderstanding your question, but if you are asking how to record your Zoom session and get the audio from your camera into the zoom, just record with Zoom. I use Zoom ALL day with my ISO and when I want to record I just record in Zoom. Of course the rendered file is 720 but that works and look fine for my needs; it is a Zoom meeting so what do you expect? The Zoom files are fine. Now having said that, I did create a video for our YouTube channel a few days ago that was a combination of both - external cameras and Zoom session.

I teach school and we needed to do a video for a virtual assembly. I recorded using Zoom, and in my desk (web) camera, which is a C100ii, I also recorded. Additionally for this project, I used a second C100ii for a profile/side shot. (I know, it is way over-kill for high school!) On the C100's I also recorded to their internal SD cards. Since my web cam for Zoom is a C100 I use the handle mic as it is very close to my face and I am talking directly into it. It sounds great. That feed goes directly into Zoom in addition to being recorded on the camera SD card.

I started the session with the two cameras and Zoom recording, I then did the hand clap to sync the audio in zoom and the cameras. Keep in mind I am recording in Zoom also, and on each camera, which is a total of 3 tracks of identical audio. In edit I used the Zoom audio as my master audio track. I put the three videos in Premiere, synced them because I have three matching audio tracks. After syncing I removed both the C100 audio tracks from the C100 files because they were not needed since the Zoom recording already had it. I only wanted the extra audio tracks from the C100's to use for syncing the video so I deleted those audio tracks after syncing the files in Premiere. I then just cut back and forth between me and the zoom participants video track since the audio was already finished. It was much easier than writing this paragraph. Using C100's and ATEM mini's of any model is almost idiot proof. It is also a perfect Zoom/web cam.

I hope I made sense.

You mentioned something about monitoring sound and the loop back. Here is how I deal with that at work. I often show YouTube videos to my students via Zoom. I do not use screen share when I do it because it doesn't look all that great. I use a second laptop and play the YouTube video there and feed it into my ISO as a camera input and just have the kids watch it that way. I can't here the audio doing it that way so what I do is join the zoom session on my cell phone and mute the web cam mic using the on/off switch on the ISO. I listen to the video on the phone but watch it on the laptop. It is a little out of sync but at least there is no loop and I can track with the video being played.

Those are my Zoom work arounds. The ISO makes it super simple to do Zoom, crazy simple.

Jim Simon

Re: ATEM Mini ISO + Zoom continues to make me feel like a mo

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 5:13 am

1. Cameras and Laptop into Mini Pro.
2. Mini Pro into Surface via USB. (Zoom will see it as a web cam.)
3. Surface HDMI out (Mirrored) to: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ideoassist
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to Live Production