Request: Dante Support for ATEM Constellation 8K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

fankefang

Request: Dante Support for ATEM Constellation 8K

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 5:39 am

I have been using the Constellation 8K for over one year now, and it is a solid switcher for most of my work. I am using a Behringer X32 Rack with an optinal Dante I/O expension board to handle all the audios, which is also rock solid. Since BMD launched the Desktop Fairlight Console, I think it would be very nice to implement Dante into the Constellation switcher, so I can totally get rid of the Behringer digital audio mixer.

My microphones are all Shure ULXD serious, and the receiver is a Shure ULXD4Q with Dante capability.
The only option now if I want to sort this out is to use a Dante-MADI converter, which is kind of expensive and messy.

nathani

Re: Request: Dante Support for ATEM Constellation 8K

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 12:21 pm

This is not as easy as a firmware update, as Dante support relies on an Audinate module or silicon to be present on the PCB. A MADI - Dante converter would be your only solution.

The audio routing on the Constellation - especially output routing or lack their of - is a massive limitation which makes the MADI ports essentially unusable.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 10:35 pm

the audio mixer in the constellation only really outputs a stereo mix for now.
it doesn't have all the routing features you'd expect.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 11:12 pm

Raphael : Wait .. in manual is described , that Constellation is sending 4 audio channels of first 32 inputs into MADI .. OR no ? I need this feature as a deembeders ..
I have ordered Constellation , but we are waiting for it second month ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

fankefang

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 6:57 pm

nathani wrote:This is not as easy as a firmware update, as Dante support relies on an Audinate module or silicon to be present on the PCB. A MADI - Dante converter would be your only solution.

The audio routing on the Constellation - especially output routing or lack their of - is a massive limitation which makes the MADI ports essentially unusable.

Well, I think the software driver to enable computers to have 'virtual Dante Sound Card' prove otherwise. :)

fankefang

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:the audio mixer in the constellation only really outputs a stereo mix for now.
it doesn't have all the routing features you'd expect.

Yeah, Constellation should have at least 4 stereo buses, so the 4 M/Es could have their own mix. But a Dante driver can let me get the Dante microphones into the switcher much more easier.

fankefang

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 7:59 am

I purchased an RME Digiface Dante, which can act as a converter between Dante and MADI. It works pretty beautifully for me now, and I found out that the MADI output channels from the Constellation switcher are the audio channels from those SDI inputs. There is NO program audio output from the MADI output connections, which is a pain in the ass.

David Hutchinson

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:30 am

fankefang wrote:I purchased an RME Digiface Dante, which can act as a converter between Dante and MADI. It works pretty beautifully for me now, and I found out that the MADI output channels from the Constellation switcher are the audio channels from those SDI inputs. There is NO program audio output from the MADI output connections, which is a pain in the ass.

Manual says MADI2 out ch32 has program on it?

fankefang

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:43 am

David Hutchinson wrote:
fankefang wrote:I purchased an RME Digiface Dante, which can act as a converter between Dante and MADI. It works pretty beautifully for me now, and I found out that the MADI output channels from the Constellation switcher are the audio channels from those SDI inputs. There is NO program audio output from the MADI output connections, which is a pain in the ass.

Really? OK I will try if that true right away...

fankefang

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:49 am

David Hutchinson wrote:

I tried, and YES! YOU ARE RIGHT!!! The MADI 32 is a stereo program out!!!

Thank you dud! You really perfected my system!!!

David Hutchinson

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:59 am

But with RME digiface Dante you can only have 1 MADI input from Constellation which is limiting if you want the camera ch1/2 inputs too.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:02 am

fankefang wrote:
David Hutchinson wrote:

I tried, and YES! YOU ARE RIGHT!!! The MADI 32 is a stereo program out!!!

Thank you dud! You really perfected my system!!!

good to know that works !

Return to Live Production