Humming or buzzing sound from new ATEM Mini Pro ISO.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

bobster

Humming or buzzing sound from new ATEM Mini Pro ISO.

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 2:08 am

Just got an ATEM Mini Pro ISO.

It's making a humming or buzzing sound, which starts immediately when I power it up, with no cables attached except the power adapter.

It's on my desk, about 2.5-3 feet away from my head.

Holding it up to my ear, the sound seems a little louder from the right side, which makes me wonder if it might be from a transformer, since the power adapter attaches on that side. (It doesn't sound to me like fan noise, but I'm no electronics expert.)

I'm wondering if this is normal. In a room with a lot of ambient noise (a church, school, etc), it might not be noticeable. But I have sensitive ears and my room is fairly quiet.

I made this recording by holding the bottom edge of my iPhone 6s up to the rightnside vent:

https://tinyurl.com/y6epdy45

I sent it to Blackmagic support and asked if it's normal.

They didn't answer the question, which is exasperating - this isn't rocket science.

Instead, they offered to look at the unit if I sent it to them at my expense. That would be OK if it were out of warranty (or nearly so, but heavily used). But this is brand new.

Either the sound is normal or it's not. (And if I have a DOA unit, returning or exchanging through B&H would be faster and easier.)

Anybody else hear this sound from their ATEM Mini (any version)?

Thanks!

Bob

alezobic

Re: Humming or buzzing sound from new ATEM Mini Pro ISO.

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi Bob,

can't help you by saying if it is normal or not but I just purchased mine, literally unboxed and plugged in now, and it has a buzzing noise as well. Exactly as yours.

BR

bobster

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 5:30 am

alezobic wrote:Hi Bob,

can't help you by saying if it is normal or not but I just purchased mine, literally unboxed and plugged in now, and it has a buzzing noise as well. Exactly as yours.

BR

Thanks, BR!

I replied to the support email and asked if he'd listened to the file. He said (paraphrasing), "yes, that's why I suggested you send it to us.”

Thus, that level of sound is apparently not normal.

I returned it and bought another.

The new one is quieter. It does have the same hum/buzz, but at a lower level - so far, I haven't noticed it under the same use conditions as the previous one.

Wish I'd taken an SPL measurement on the original, but I didn't think of that till now.
Last edited by bobster on Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

howardtnyc

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 9:31 am

Mine was quite as a mouse until I installed the update. Now it buzzes.. Unfortunately it sits on my desk so I cannt leave it plugged in all the time as I used to

artemus

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 12:34 pm

howardtnyc wrote:Mine was quite as a mouse until I installed the update. Now it buzzes.. Unfortunately it sits on my desk so I cannt leave it plugged in all the time as I used to

Seems like there's quite a difference between different units. I've used two ISO's, one was quiet and the other sounded like it had a crap quality fan inside, making a constant ugly noise even when not under any load. Luckily we were far from the mics...

Maybe the popularity of ATEM Minis this last year has forced them to source cheaper parts for later units to keep up with demand?

Or, since yours went from silent to buzzy after the update, could this be a software issue? Any changes since?

Victory7

Re: Humming or buzzing sound from new ATEM Mini Pro

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 5:13 am

We are a late comer, recently acquired the Atem Pro.
Like many others we are having the annoying humming issue.
Is there any solution to the humming issue.
Please share your findings/solution.

Ueli Gisiger

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 11:07 am

Hi all,
same thing here. When plug-in the switch, a fan speeds up then down to a level that is noticable very easily. I have the ATEM and a "VideoAssist 12g" side by side. While the former is twice as loud with a "rrrrrrrrrr" with variations, the later produces a smooth typical fan "schhhhhhhhhh".

After one hour working on a video tutorial project, the "rrrrrrrrrr" became annoying.

Best
Ueli
Desktop: Windows 10 pro, i7, 32Gb, Nvidia P1000 4GB, Davinci Resolve Studio
Surface Pro 5: Windows 10 pro, i5, 16Gb, Intel GPU, Davinci Resolve
Any Software: newest versions
ASIO Audio: RME Babyface and Motu M2

SilkCharm

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 2:50 am

I have had exactly the same issue since I bought it on ISO launch (the non ISO one is fine, just the ISO buzzes). Our distributor on Australia has tried to tell me it's my setup (which doesn't buzz on the non-ISO) or that it's dirty power, or really anything other than take it back to look at it. I'm at my wits end. It's getting louder :(

JohnRiley

PostMon Mar 28, 2022 9:14 pm

I just purchased an ATEM Mini Pro. I am getting the same buzzing/humming/fan sound. Not sure exactly what it is, but is clearly audible. Is this normal?

bobster

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 12:11 am

JohnRiley wrote:I just purchased an ATEM Mini Pro. I am getting the same buzzing/humming/fan sound. Not sure exactly what it is, but is clearly audible. Is this normal?

Apparently not. As I reported above, my replacement is much quieter. I’ve been using it for over a year now, and I’m happy to report that it’s still quieter than the first one.

Express1382

PostMon Dec 25, 2023 12:45 am

wow... not what I was expecting out the box. Similar 'brrrr' noise to reported above from the unit with only a PSU connected. Its not loud enough to pickup on the mic but I can hear it in my quiet office environment.

Return to Live Production