Sony a6400 > ATEM Mini Pro only working in HDMI 1

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rogerwilco

Sony a6400 > ATEM Mini Pro only working in HDMI 1

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 2:16 am

Hi all,

I have an ATEM Mini Pro and a few sources plugged into it: Sony a6400 into HDMI 1, computer screen into HDMI 2, a GoPro into 3. I was testing a longer than usual cable (40') with the Sony into HDMI 4 and received no signal.

I swapped cables for a tested one and still no signal. So I switched the input from HDMI 4 to HDMI 1—received signal just fine. Switched to the longer cable, still fine. For some reason HDMI 4 wasn't receiving signal. I sent an inquiry to BM support but after then thought I should try more troubleshooting.

I started swapping cables and inputs and, long story short, all cables and all sources work in every input EXCEPT for the Sony a6400, which will only work in HDMI 1.

Does anyone know if there might be an issue I'm overlooking, other than a busted Mini?

rogerwilco

Re: Sony a6400 > ATEM Mini Pro only working in HDMI 1

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 6:55 pm

A friendly bump to double-check there is no one else who has had this issue. I haven’t heard from BM support in a few days so am hoping to find an answer here.

To clarify some troubleshooting, I have:

- a laptop connected to a USB > HDMI converter, 15’ HDMI cable. This works in all inputs.
- a GoPro connected via 25’ or 40’ micro HDMI > HDMI cable. This works with both cables in all inputs.
- a Sony a6400 connected via 25’ or 40’ micro HDMI > HDMI cable. This works with both cables in HDMI 1 only. Black screen with either cable in the other inputs.

The last I heard from support they mentioned testing with a shorter, properly spec HDMI cable, which I don’t own so will order one to troubleshoot. That said, I don’t know why the longer lengths would work in HDMI 1, and in all other inputs with the different sources.

ManchesterV

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 7:45 pm

We use fiber cables for anything HDMI over 7.5m.

You may get away with 10m even 15m copper cables at 1080i but not at 1080p with ATEM switchers.

If you have a cable that's on the cusp (as yours seems to be) then you can put an HDMI splitter in line (or a monitor loop through) to reclock the signal.

You can get active cables but fiber cable costs have dropped a lot recently. We use them with the Mini. 20m is around £20.00.

For info. Input 1 has a different circuit/electronics than 2/3/4 because it can be used as a low latency input intended for gamers/computer feeds.

All BMD switchers are fairly intolerant of slightly iffy HDMI signals. This applies across the range in my experience. Almost always it's cable related.

undersaczlowien

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 10:08 pm

It is quite interesting, because I got the same problem running with GH4 :) Works only on input 1 :D

rogerwilco

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 12:52 am

ManchesterV wrote:We use fiber cables for anything HDMI over 7.5m.

You may get away with 10m even 15m copper cables at 1080i but not at 1080p with ATEM switchers.

If you have a cable that's on the cusp (as yours seems to be) then you can put an HDMI splitter in line (or a monitor loop through) to reclock the signal.

You can get active cables but fiber cable costs have dropped a lot recently. We use them with the Mini. 20m is around £20.00.

For info. Input 1 has a different circuit/electronics than 2/3/4 because it can be used as a low latency input intended for gamers/computer feeds.

All BMD switchers are fairly intolerant of slightly iffy HDMI signals. This applies across the range in my experience. Almost always it's cable related.

Thank you! This is a super-informative post and very helpful.

I thought the 25' HDMI was slightly out of spec but I looked it up to double-check and Category 2 HDMI is rated for a max of 50 feet. The 40' cable I knew would be iffy, but for the 25's to be unusable in the ATEM at 1080 is pretty disappointing. I've run those to the Roland switcher and they've been fine so I didn't think to give them a second thought. For me the semi-good news is I can get away with my current setup and will just factor in the fiber costs when adding a second Sony.

MrHotter

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 2:23 pm

Did you try changing the HDMI out settings on the A6400 from auto to 1080p?
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

rogerwilco

PostSat Jan 30, 2021 6:33 pm

MrHotter wrote:Did you try changing the HDMI out settings on the A6400 from auto to 1080p?

^^^^^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE

@MrHotter, this is a great suggestion and I honestly never thought to try this since the signal was being received at 1080. Switched this from "auto" to 1080p and—hot damn—working with both lengths (Micro HDMI > HDMI 25' & 40') of cable in all inputs.

Thank you so much for chiming in!

beefymarketing

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 2:00 am

I'm experiencing the very same issue, with some exceptions...I'm getting quite a bit of flickering and I've tried a number of cables with micro to HDMI adapters. Can you tell me what 25' cable you recommend that you had success with? I can't seem to find a good option.

rogerwilco

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 pm

beefymarketing wrote:I'm experiencing the very same issue, with some exceptions...I'm getting quite a bit of flickering and I've tried a number of cables with micro to HDMI adapters. Can you tell me what 25' cable you recommend that you had success with? I can't seem to find a good option.
My two 25' micro > HDMI cables are Cable Matters, purchased through Amazon. These are high-speed but not optical or active. They work on all inputs. For the most part everything I've purchased under the Cable Matters brand has been solid and inexpensive.

The 40' cable I was using is a custom/no-name copper high-speed HDMI cable I purchased on eBay. That works only on HDMI 1 and occasionally stutters but it's only really noticeable when panning.

I also have a 40' active cable by Monoprice that is working well so far on all channels. It's a little thick/heavy for what I want to use it for but not sure if that's an active thing or a Monoprice thing. I've looked into fiber cables but they've been out of my price range.

I did get an email from Blackmagic which recommended doing runs over 12' with SDI cables and converters on both ends.

Return to Live Production