atem mini pro audio problem distorted

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Barbero59

atem mini pro audio problem distorted

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi,

we’ve a problem with the mic on atemi mini pro.

The atem mini pro is connected to an audio matrix Nexia biamp cs with standard shiedeld stereo cable.

The problem is very simple: the sound is very disturbed and distorterd. We tried to lower the input sensibility to -58 as suggested on this forum, but the problem persists.

How we can resolve the problem?

And also we would like to know the specifics of mic 1 and 2: impedance, pinout, levels etc.

Thank you!

tpchmara

Re: atem mini pro audio problem distorted

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 12:50 am

What have you got the nexia set to output, vs. the ATEM to input?
The ATEM defaults to mic levels - you can change this to "line" input (using the Software Center): we have used a simple Mackie audio mixer as input to our ATEM Mini Pro without any difficulties and with no unusual configurations for input sensitivity: it sounds like your ATEM is currently set to expect mic-level input.
Hope this helps...
Tom

TimHeerebout

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 6:02 pm

I agree with Tom. Sounds like you need to change your input from Mic to Line.

gillesvds

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 2:19 pm

Did you solve the problem ?
I experience the same trouble.
Sound from the stereo output of a MixPre 3 to the Atem mini pro mic1 input set in line mode.
Sound very distorded like an underwater voice...

eMilty

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 8:27 am

Professional audio equipment typically uses balanced audio connections. When it has an XLR or 1/4 inch (6.5 mm) Jack connections it is most likely a balanced output. You can NOT directly connect that to the ATEM Mini as it has an unbalanced audio connection.

What you need is a balanced to unbalanced audio converter. They are also sometimes called line isolators. These are available in various forms. Some are passive (meaning they don't need power), some are active. Typically they are in the form of a small box with connectors on both ends. There are also adapter plugs with passive converters build in. There are also rackmount converters with 4 of 8 channels.

Tobermory

PostWed Feb 02, 2022 9:34 am

I agree with the solutions found here, I had to install a ground loop or "hum" eliminator" to solve other problems. But an alternative that also worked for me, using an MG10XU audio mixer or a computer as the audio source is to use a second HDMI monitor output from the computer, directly into the ATEM Mini as an input, and just pull the audio from that. You have to set the audio output on the computer to "BMD HDMI". So the audio is connected from the audio mixer via USB to the computer and then linking to the ATEM Mini via the HDMI connection.

Return to Live Production