Strata pro dropouts.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Fred Rodrigues

Strata pro dropouts.

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Does anyone reliably use strata pro for Atem control? I have been using it but getting frequent dropouts. I wrote to the developer and was given a strange response. I should move my wifi router further away from the atem. To me this sounds like garbage. Without strata I always have a wifi router. Close to the atem and the wifi has so far not been seeping into the electronics and messing withe the atem or any of my gear. Apparently though when using the strata app (perfect wifi signal nothing else in the aground on the iAd) it crashes regularly especially if it is left idle for a few minutes the next touch crashes the app completely.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Fred
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Baz

Re: Strata pro dropouts.

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Yes same here.... and, then it won't reconnect and the only way to get it up again is to totally power cycle the iPad.

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Allen Freeman

PostTue Oct 01, 2013 12:16 am

I forked over the $50 for the Pro version a couple of weeks ago and was initially very pleased with it. But now I've tried to use it on three jobs and during every job the app has either spontaneously closed, or just frozen up and ceased responding. This afternoon it happened several times. Luckily I had my laptop connected and was able to dump the iPad and continue with the laptop.

Given its unreliability, I find the app useless.
~~
Allen Freeman
Penn's Hill Media
www.pennshill.com

Fred Rodrigues

PostTue Oct 01, 2013 3:24 am

Despite the insanity of the claim did anyone also get the suggestion to move the router a few meters from the ATEM? I want to get a refund for this app as so far it is unusable. I want to know if anyone did this. I feel like I have to try it before I ask for the money back.

I will also send this thread to the developer, maybe he can chime in with something more useful, maybe an explanation of how the wifi signals are seeping into the ATEM. Otherwise we can warn other users not to waste their money.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Dave Glennie

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Mmmm,

Can't comment really- I've been using it and had no problems at all with my iPad.....

My wi-fi router sits in the rack about 1m from my 2M/E

I know a lot of guys on the forum helped Beta test this app, and the developers are very approachable guys.

I make sure all my kit is NOT connected to the network via DHCP settings- everything is 'tied' using it own dedicated address.......no problems so far...

Hope you guys find a solution

Cheers, Dave
Hi-sat Broadcast
DSNG HD uplink trucks x 2, PDW-700 XDCam HD x 2, PMW500, HDW-750 x 5,
Way too much BMD stuff to list!!

Thomas Wong

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 8:35 am

my strata pro didn't crash. just if i don't touch it for a few minutes, it lost connection. And i need to exit the app and launch the app again.
BMCC 2.5k, Canon 5D mk3
Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II, Rokinon 14mm cine T3.1
Edelkrone Slider Plus v2, iFootage mini crane M1, Glidetrack Hybrid HD with Steadicam arm & vest, Atomos Samurai

Quinn Quality

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Mine drops out as well. In most cases i want to use the Strata Pro, i have not the intentions of touching my iPhone or iPod all the time to stay connected. I need permanent connection for tally purposes. Help Strata geniuses!
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Roach

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:14 am

Hi,

I am just picking up my atem and I am planning on using the Strata Pro with my ipad. I figured to get a solid connection I would connect it to my laptop with my laptop connected to the Atem. Am I in dreamland on this idea or can this be a solution?

Has anybody had successful results with Strata? I figured this was the way to go since I don't have the cash to buy a control until right now but now I'm feeling a bit skeptical.

nhtech

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Try this it worked for me.

Make sure ATEM is on it's own dedicated network and switch with static IP's for the ATEM Switcher and whatever other gear (Tally, Panel, computer control, etc.) get a wireless ap/router, I'm using a Airport express, turn it to bridge mode only and give it a static ip in the same range as the ATEM devices. Connect your iPad to the wireless network and give it a static IP.

for our situation our ATEM 2 Switcher is 10.0.0.121, our ATEM 2 Panel is 10.0.0.122, Tally/GPI box is 10.0.0.123, I have a Mac Mini as 10.0.0.124, the Airport express is set at 10.0.0.125 and the iPad is set at 10.0.0.120. Since the switch to this setup, strata pro has not frozen/crashed or lost connection in anyway. Prior to this I was having the same issue, but prior to this our equipment was on the same network as our other tech gear, and our Airport Extreme was giving out dhcp addresses to all wireless connections (ATEM Gear was always static).

I'm not sure if the correction occurred because our iPad is now static or because we completely separated the network, but it works.
ATEM2 Switcher
ATEM2 Panel
ATEM Tally
SmartView
Smartscope Duo
ATEM TV
Hyperdeck Studio Pro
Intensity Extreme
Ultradeck Studio Thunderbolt
Ultradeck 3d
Broadcast Router
Video Hub Master Control