hot swapping supersource presets?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tony B

hot swapping supersource presets?

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 8:02 pm

I am building and saving a mini template library of super source presets for our various productions. (ATEM 2 M/E)

The ATEM super source tab, under palettes, has 4 built in preset buttons that will "hot-swap" in real time.

Is there a way to change these to the custom presets I have built?
I would ideally be able to have 8 such presets, but 4 is a fine start.

I know it can be done by saving the ATEM settings xml via FILE menu, but if there is a better way to import presets, I would love to know. (importing settings during a broadcast makes me nervous)

I am looking into https://justmacros.tv/ but seems it might be over my head, or more robust than needed.

Anyone used justmacros? Good or bad experiences?
www.hinckleyproductions.com

editmix

Re: hot swapping supersource presets?

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 1:23 am

Tony B wrote:I am building and saving a mini template library of super source presets for our various productions. (ATEM 2 M/E)

The ATEM super source tab, under palettes, has 4 built in preset buttons that will "hot-swap" in real time.

Is there a way to change these to the custom presets I have built?
I would ideally be able to have 8 such presets, but 4 is a fine start.

I know it can be done by saving the ATEM settings xml via FILE menu, but if there is a better way to import presets, I would love to know. (importing settings during a broadcast makes me nervous)

I am looking into https://justmacros.tv/ but seems it might be over my head, or more robust than needed.

Anyone used justmacros? Good or bad experiences?
No clue how to override the preset buttons. Companion appears to be the most popular solution I have found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Morrish

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 7:54 am

JM was awesome in its day but unfortunately is no longer maintained. Doug Johnson has done some awesome work with SS and JM. See

I have built a Windows PowerShell equivalent (almost) that allows the same scripting capability but is similar effort to get up to speed with using it. Advantage of my solution is it uses a more modern interface (VSCode from Microsoft) with IntelliSense for commands and debugging as well as support for all the latest ATEM's including Fairlight audio features.
I have even ported Doug's JM code to PowerShell and know of people using it. https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2018/1 ... owershell/

You can save the state of current SS layout using File>Save As which generates an XML file of the various values. You can disable all other parameters except SS then you can create a file for each layout and then import them later.
It looks like this:
<SuperSource artFillInput="3010" artKeyInput="3011" artOption="Background" artPreMultiplied="False" artClip="50" artGain="70" artInvertKey="False" borderEnabled="False" borderBevel="In" borderHue="0" borderSaturation="0" borderLuma="100" borderWidthOut="0.5" borderWidthIn="0.5" borderSoftnessOut="0" borderSoftnessIn="0" borderBevelPosition="0.5" borderBevelSoftness="0" borderLightSourceDirection="36" borderLightSourceAltitude="25">
<Boxes>
<Box index="0" enabled="True" inputSource="0" xPosition="-8" yPosition="4.5" size="0.5" cropped="False" cropTop="0" cropBottom="0" cropLeft="0" cropRight="0"/>
<Box index="1" enabled="True" inputSource="0" xPosition="8" yPosition="4.5" size="0.5" cropped="False" cropTop="0" cropBottom="0" cropLeft="0" cropRight="0"/>
<Box index="2" enabled="True" inputSource="0" xPosition="-8" yPosition="-4.5" size="0.5" cropped="False" cropTop="0" cropBottom="0" cropLeft="0" cropRight="0"/>
<Box index="3" enabled="True" inputSource="0" xPosition="8" yPosition="-4.5" size="0.5" cropped="False" cropTop="0" cropBottom="0" cropLeft="0" cropRight="0"/>
</Boxes>
</SuperSource>

It might also be possible to record each layout as a macro but that is VERY tedious (although you can do it once and then edit the exported macro file.

Advantage of scripting is you can recall any layout with the press of a button (XKeys, Stream Deck, Midi, or app on a mobile device).
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Tony B

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 5:00 pm

Awesome...guess its time to bust out the IDE again.

One more question.
Is it a stable approach to import/export SS presets from the File menu (.XML)? If you only save SS, it appears to only allow you to import that as well.
This only allows one "look" to be brought in, but it does work quick enough for many transitions.

This will have to be my solution until I have a week with no productions to properly setup and vet the system.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 7:00 pm

I'm a fan of JustMacros and Companion as well. I would offer that using the built in macro capability will let you store many Supersource setups and will switch instantly. As it was stated, it could be tedious to build a lot of macros, but some forum users in the past suggested a very nice way of making supersource macros. Simply setup each supersource as you would and save to XML. Then record a macro and import only the supersource settings from the XML and stop recording. (or you could add any changes on top of that if you want). That method quickly makes supersource macros. One part that can get tricky is switching between multiple supersource live where the image in the boxes may change a frame late. In that case a frame pause may need to be added after changing box inputs and importing the xml. Learning to edit XML files would be very useful for more complicated setups. Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

dpictMEDIA

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 9:58 pm

I suggest doing some youtube time here: A2Z productions. They have some unique SuperSource transitions that they will hand out for free. You can also get a good education on this subject at Doug Johnson Productions via youtube also. I use Just Macros all the time and it is very powerful .... but it is not a quick point and click answer to say the least.
Aric Mackey

Tony B

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 10:03 pm

I did find both of those sources before I started this thread. I was initially hoping for something a bit more simple. But those definitely look like they are exactly what I need. Just hope I can put in the time and get it to work and be stable

Thanks

David Hutchinson

PostSat Jan 30, 2021 5:00 pm

you might find this interesting

Return to Live Production