Can I set up a bluetooth foot pedal to switch CAMs? How?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jazzstream

Can I set up a bluetooth foot pedal to switch CAMs? How?

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 pm

Brand new! My name is Henry Robinett. I ALWAYS use my real name on forums and for some reason decided to use jazzstream. If I can change it I will.

I got a ATEM Mini Pro a couple of weeks ago. I have yet to really use it because I have to put an ethernet/HDMI port in a couple of rooms. I have a recording studio and want to do live streams.

As a guitarist I want to use a blue tooth foot-pedal so I can choose CAM shots on the fly with my foot. I got an airturn Quad 200. I have no idea how to set this up, if it can be. The support guy at airturn doesn't know either. Anybody know if this is possible and how? Macros?

Phil999

Re: Can I set up a bluetooth foot pedal to switch CAMs? How?

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 am

my guess is that this is going to be quite difficult - there's no direct Bluetooth connectivity to the ATEM Mini Pro. As a workaround you could try a tablet running Strata Pro. This app connects via Wifi to the network where you can have the ATEM Mini Pro connected as well. The app is very reliable and bi-directional (indicating the current state when controlled elsewhere). It could be used with toes, although this would be not very precise. A custom built switch array for the touchscreen could be a solution.

Howard Roll

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 12:37 am

Connect the pedal to the host computer and use the configuration software to emulate the keys on the computer that you'd use for switching. If the hot keys are 1-4, configure the pedals to emulate 1-4. They're pedals not switches so you might be able to create multiple behaviors (cut, mix, wipe) from a single pedal.

Good Luck

Phil999

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 11:17 am

good idea Howard. Still needs a keyboard emulation software between, but possibly the better solution. I have used such keyboard emulation software to control other software with a joystick. It works well and reliable.

ishootyou.com

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 4:36 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Connect the pedal to the host computer and use the configuration software to emulate the keys on the computer that you'd use for switching. If the hot keys are 1-4, configure the pedals to emulate 1-4. They're pedals not switches so you might be able to create multiple behaviors (cut, mix, wipe) from a single pedal.

Good Luck

As far as I know there are no hotkeys assignable to ATEM Mini buttons. I recently gave a guitar lesson and put the ATEM on the floor switching cameras with my foot :lol:
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

Phil999

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 8:51 pm

no hotkeys? Well then ...

What I heard is that one can control the Minis with MIDI (bi-directional). So one would need to translate the Bluetooth pedal signals into MIDI and route them to another control app that talks to the Mini. I've not done this, but it should be possible.

ishootyou.com

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 9:49 pm

Phil999 wrote:no hotkeys? Well then ...

What I heard is that one can control the Minis with MIDI (bi-directional). So one would need to translate the Bluetooth pedal signals into MIDI and route them to another control app that talks to the Mini. I've not done this, but it should be possible.

I did that using a Korg Nanopad. In short: configuration is a bigger pain than restringing a 12string on a countryside bus ride in India. Don’t try. There is a software called Companion I use to map macros to a Streamdeck, but a Streamdeck wouldn’t help you either as it is a button controller. The iRig Blueboard (2nd gen) would be ideal with its 4-button layout and midi functionality but...sigh.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

Howard Roll

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 1:24 am

ishootyou.com wrote:As far as I know there are no hotkeys assignable to ATEM Mini buttons.

How much research have you done?

hotkeys.png
hotkeys.png (130.44 KiB) Viewed 107 times

Good Luck

ishootyou.com

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 6:38 am

Howard Roll wrote:
ishootyou.com wrote:As far as I know there are no hotkeys assignable to ATEM Mini buttons.

How much research have you done?

hotkeys.png

Good Luck

Howard, I will be wearing the iron idiot mask today. I plead not guilty however as I myself had been told so somewhere here. Turns out that macros are the only thing that can't be triggered via key commands, hence the need for a Streamdeck. Anyhow, this of course unleashes a whole lot of possibilities.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

Phil999

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 10:06 am

o yes. And it seems that controlling ATEM's via MIDI has become easier with a software called Central Control (Windows only). I will check that out, there's a one month trial.

https://centralcontrol.io/devices/

Edit: it appears that the ATEM Minis are not supported

Edit2: they are supported, as it turns out after contacting the developer. This is good news. What I haven't got sorted yet is the mapping. I will create a separate discussion thread about Central Control when I created a working Lemur template for the Mini's.

Edit3: after a few tests finally a success. I control the ATEM Mini Pro with a MIDI controller. And it is bi-directional, meaning when I hit a button on the Mini, the MIDI controller button lights up as well. This looks very promising, also for TouchOSC and Lemur surfaces.

Return to Live Production