ATEM Mini HDMI inputs random problems

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bumble

ATEM Mini HDMI inputs random problems

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 6:30 pm

I just bought an ATEM Mini and I am facing really weird problems.

The problem is random and I cant determine whats going on.

I am connecting 2-3 DSLR cameras and 1 laptop or TV with hdmi cabels.

I am facing random glitches, white dots, flickering, stuttering etc etc.

Sometimes only the input 1 works and other inputs dont.
Sometimes everything works perfect.
Sometimes for example the camera in input 1 is working great and on input 3 its flickering or its making random glitches and vice-versa.
Sometimes there are black screen on other inputs.

Iam using the latest software. Also I have brand new hdmi cabels from 1.5 and up to 5m. And all the cables are acting differently. Sometimes 1.5m works, sometime dont. Sometime the 5m cable work, sometimes dont...

I noticed when I put a sony camera in input 1 its just working its doesnt matter the output setting in the camera.
When I put the same camera with the same cable for example in other inputs, there are white dots all over the screen. And I figured out that when I change the output setting in 1080i the white dots doesnt appear anymore.

Its really awkward and random.

Steve Kanefsky

Re: ATEM Mini HDMI inputs random problems

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 7:43 pm

Different behavior on HDMI Input 1 is expected because it uses a completely different kind of HDMI chip than the other inputs.

I would still guess the most likely issue is with the HDMI cables. You mention that they're brand new but not much else (active vs passive, brand, gauge, type of connector on the camera side, etc.) Brand new is probably only relevant to the extent it means you don't know if they work or not :)

I would try the highest quality and shortest HDMI cable you can get your hands on, and if that works reliably then you know where the problem is. Also make sure that the connectors are firmly seated on both ends and perhaps try to connect the equipment in a different location to see if it's related to any other nearby equipment that might be causing interference.

Bumble

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Steve Kanefsky wrote:Different behavior on HDMI Input 1 is expected because it uses a completely different kind of HDMI chip than the other inputs.

I would still guess the most likely issue is with the HDMI cables. You mention that they're brand new but not much else (active vs passive, brand, gauge, type of connector on the camera side, etc.) Brand new is probably only relevant to the extent it means you don't know if they work or not :)

I would try the highest quality and shortest HDMI cable you can get your hands on, and if that works reliably then you know where the problem is. Also make sure that the connectors are firmly seated on both ends and perhaps try to connect the equipment in a different location to see if it's related to any other nearby equipment that might be causing interference.

Which HDMI cables are recommended to work best with the ATEM?

And why sometimes the same cable just works and sometimes dont? And the same cable work in one port and in other dont?

For example the same cable works just perfect with BMD Web Presenter all over the years before and with ATEM Mini depends on your luck.

Its really frustrating.

cienistogrzywy

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 9:50 pm

Steve Kanefsky wrote:Different behavior on HDMI Input 1 is expected because it uses a completely different kind of HDMI chip than the other inputs.

What are the differences between HDMI Input 1 and the others? Could you explain?

Bumble

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 12:01 pm

I figureout something.

Well the HDMI output which is connected with external recorder is all good, no dropping frames, no glitching.
On the other hand the usb c output which is connected on laptop and OBS the video output is glitching on all 4 inputs.

This doesn't happens on another laptop.

Its probably something related with the windows itself.

What could be?

Greiffenberg

PostFri May 07, 2021 6:50 pm

I’ve been testing this a lot, with BMD SDI to HDMI converters.

It seems that the Atem Mini line (including Extreme) actually can’t handle 1080p above 30 frames on all inputs.

It seems that only inputs available as direct out (1 for the 4 input and 1+2 for the extreme 8 input) can handle 1080p60 without flickering or glitches. This is also decklink hdmi outputs directly into the Atem.
UNLESS you use active hdmi cables, then it seems to work on all inputs.

Non-active hdmi cables is a bit un-logical in my tests, as it seems that 2-3 meter cables works better than shorter 0.5 meter cables (works as in a flickering picture is coming through on all inputs).

My conclusion is that Atem mini is actually not ready for 1080p50 and above.

MediaElectric

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:57 pm

I have two input cameras, a SONY A6400 (which will not work unless it goes into Input 1) and a SONY A7sii. On the A7Sii I could not get a clean signal. There were little dots flickering in different positions, which sometimes also became red dots and even blue dots. I changed output frame rates, I powered on and off. I changes order of powering on. What seemed to fix things and stabilize the signal was the addition of an HDMI splitter (an AVINAIR 1x2 4K splitter) between that A7sii and the ATEM. The line is now clean. Posting this as one of the things to try if anyone encounters this problem.

Return to Live Production