ATEM Mini Pro Suspicious fan noise

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

nicduch

ATEM Mini Pro Suspicious fan noise

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 7:18 am

Hello everyone!

I just received my new ATEM Mini Pro and the fan is making a weird noise:

when the firmware update starts:

Is this the normal fan noise?

I already have an ATEM Mini and an ATEM Mini PRo in the past and I don't remember this problem

Steve Kanefsky

Re: ATEM Mini Pro Suspicious fan noise

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 9:59 am

It's hard to tell because mics can be much more sensitive than what your ears would normally pick up, but I wouldn't worry about them being extra loud during a firmware upgrade. The fan speed is controlled by the firmware based on temperature so often during a firmware upgrade the fan controller isn't operating normally and the fans run at full speed. Apple will warn you for example that the fans on your MacBook may run momentarily at full speed before you install a firmware upgrade.

Also, even under normal operation I would give the fan at least a short time to break in before passing judgement on the noise level.

justabrowser01

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 6:51 pm

Steve Kanefsky wrote:It's hard to tell because mics can be much more sensitive than what your ears would normally pick up, but I wouldn't worry about them being extra loud during a firmware upgrade. The fan speed is controlled by the firmware based on temperature so often during a firmware upgrade the fan controller isn't operating normally and the fans run at full speed. Apple will warn you for example that the fans on your MacBook may run momentarily at full speed before you install a firmware upgrade.

Also, even under normal operation I would give the fan at least a short time to break in before passing judgement on the noise level.
Mine is similar but seems a little quieter. When starting up sounds like an engine (obviously not as loud, lol). Is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeltaWaterBravo94

PostWed Jan 04, 2023 6:34 pm

My Church ATEM Mini Pro runs the fan on a faster and somewhat louder speed during updates which triggers an auto power cycle. If it's only happening during an update, I'd think that's considered normal.

Return to Live Production