Cameras do not retain ATEM settings

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

EliseRitschard

Cameras do not retain ATEM settings

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 4:55 pm

Hello,

I'm sorry if this question seems elementary, but I cannot seem to find the solution on here (or anywhere else).

We are running the ATEM Production Studio 4K with the Studio Camera 4K and the Micro Studio Camera 4K. I would like to have a base for camera settings that I restore every time I use the system. I have used the "restore settings" function, but it does not seem to retain the aperture settings.

I've tried adjusting the cameras and then turning on the ATEM, but it reverts the cameras to a default. I've also done it the other way around, by turning on the cameras and then restoring my saved file, but it's always darker (higher f-stop) than I set the last time. As it is right now, I have to turn on the cameras, turn on the ATEM and restore previous settings, and then go over to the cameras and fix the f-stop. Is there a way to retain camera settings when I turn on the cameras and then the ATEM?

We would like to mount one of the cameras in our venue (likely the Micro), but I need to be able to completely control the camera and it's settings from the ATEM software. I understand that color correction will change depending on the situation, but adjusting the camera's starting settings from the camera every time really isn't an option.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

David_Anderson

Re: Cameras do not retain ATEM settings

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm

I believe you have to adjust ALL the settings in the software. So if the camera is set to 4000K then you need to set the software to 4000K. The same goes with aperture, shutter speed and gain. Basically when you have your cameras set, match the settings of the cameras with the software. When you save the configuration it will save those settings otherwise anything that you didn't set in the software will resort to the original camera setting.

Hope this makes sense.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

Steve Kanefsky

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 10:38 pm

David_Anderson wrote:otherwise anything that you didn't set in the software will resort to the original camera setting.
Actually the frustrating part is that it won't revert to the camera setting but to its own default values. The camera will remember its settings from the last time you set them (regardless of whether they were set through the ATEM or on the camera itself or using a Bluetooth app) but ATEM Software Control will override the camera settings with default values.

ATEM Software Control also won't remember its own camera settings even while it's left running if you turn the ATEM and/or the cameras off and on again. I will often leave ATEM Software Control running but power down the ATEM and the cameras. Then when I power everything back up the cameras remember their settings just fine but a moment later ATEM Software Control will reset everything despite having saved the configuration and the startup state. Only by reloading a saved camera configuration will it then send the saved settings to the camera. The workaround I use is to save my settings to a file and then create a macro which is assigned to a button so I can quickly reload the saved settings whenever ATEM Software Control resets them.

It's not the ATEM itself that's resetting the cameras because if you aren't running ATEM Software Control and you start everything up then the cameras will retain their saved settings and the ATEM won't reset them. They get reset either when ATEM Software Control is running and you start up the ATEM and/or cameras, or when the ATEM and cameras are running and you start up the software.

Hopefully I've described all the behaviors accurately. I'm doing it from memory but I think I'm remembering all the behavioral oddities correctly.

David_Anderson

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 11:13 pm

Based on the last production I did with 3 Ursa's we had to make sure we had a text entry for every value in the camera. When we restored them, they all came back to what we had left them at.

If a camera was set to 4000K and we don't make a setting in the software on the ATEM that is 4000K then it's a crapshoot when you start up the cameras again because whatever they were last set at, they will start at that point. If you save EVERY value in the ATEM software when you do the restore it feeds all the data to the cameras.

Hope that helps.

Best,

David

Steve Kanefsky wrote:
David_Anderson wrote:otherwise anything that you didn't set in the software will resort to the original camera setting.
Actually the frustrating part is that it won't revert to the camera setting but to its own default values. The camera will remember its settings from the last time you set them (regardless of whether they were set through the ATEM or on the camera itself or using a Bluetooth app) but ATEM Software Control will override the camera settings with default values.

ATEM Software Control also won't remember its own camera settings even while it's left running if you turn the ATEM and/or the cameras off and on again. I will often leave ATEM Software Control running but power down the ATEM and the cameras. Then when I power everything back up the cameras remember their settings just fine but a moment later ATEM Software Control will reset everything despite having saved the configuration and the startup state. Only by reloading a saved camera configuration will it then send the saved settings to the camera. The workaround I use is to save my settings to a file and then create a macro which is assigned to a button so I can quickly reload the saved settings whenever ATEM Software Control resets them.

It's not the ATEM itself that's resetting the cameras because if you aren't running ATEM Software Control and you start everything up then the cameras will retain their saved settings and the ATEM won't reset them. They get reset either when ATEM Software Control is running and you start up the ATEM and/or cameras, or when the ATEM and cameras are running and you start up the software.

Hopefully I've described all the behaviors accurately. I'm doing it from memory but I think I'm remembering all the behavioral oddities correctly.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

Steve Kanefsky

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 11:24 pm

When you record a macro and adjust individual camera settings the macro will only record values that were touched but if you save camera settings to a file the file will contain all the camera settings whether you touched them or not. Then if you record a macro where you restore settings from that file the macro will contain all the camera settings.

The issue is that it shouldn't be necessary to explicitly restore the camera settings at all because ATEM Software Control shouldn't be resetting them in the first place. As far as resetting them it will reset the settings as I described regardless of how you originally set them.

David_Anderson

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 3:24 am

Agreed shouldn't be necessary but that's how it works. I did a 3 day production and saved all camera settings at the end of each day. At the beginning of the next day we restored those saved settings. The intent of my post was to answer the OP's question.

Best,

David

Steve Kanefsky wrote:When you record a macro and adjust individual camera settings the macro will only record values that were touched but if you save camera settings to a file the file will contain all the camera settings whether you touched them or not. Then if you record a macro where you restore settings from that file the macro will contain all the camera settings.

The issue is that it shouldn't be necessary to explicitly restore the camera settings at all because ATEM Software Control shouldn't be resetting them in the first place. As far as resetting them it will reset the settings as I described regardless of how you originally set them.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

Steve Kanefsky

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 3:29 am

David_Anderson wrote:Agreed shouldn't be necessary but that's how it works. I did a 3 day production and saved all camera settings at the end of each day. At the beginning of the next day we restored those saved settings. The intent of my post was to answer the OP's question.
That's fine but I wanted to point out that in my experience it's not necessary to "have a text entry for every value in the camera" as you described it. If everything is working the way you like after only changing one setting, then you can just save your camera settings in a file (which will save all your settings whether you've changed them or not) and then create a macro that restores that file.

Note however that the way it seems to work isn't that the macro records the loading of the file so that you could change the settings in the file later without changing the macro. Instead what it seems to do is sort of bake the settings from the file into the macro so I've found that if I want to change the settings I have to re-record the macro to load them from the saved file even if the file name and location are the same. Still a far easier process than recording a macro where you actually make all your setting changes directly into the macro because in that case any setting that you don't click on won't be saved as part of the macro.

EliseRitschard

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm

Steve Kanefsky wrote: The workaround I use is to save my settings to a file and then create a macro which is assigned to a button so I can quickly reload the saved settings whenever ATEM Software Control resets them.

Thank you for clarifying that it's the Software Control that's resetting the cameras to defaults. Could you explain this macro solution a little bit more? How does it differ from using the "File > Save As > .xml file" setting? I'm fairly new to live streaming so I'm not familiar with macros. (Hurray, COVID making a web designer into a live streamer.)

Thanks!
Elise

Mark Foster

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 6:46 pm

unfortunately not all camera values are stored in the XML : -(

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

PeterSprague

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 4:32 pm

Hi All, I've noticed this behavior and wondered if you all are having the same problem.

When I do a "Restore" cam settings on my ATEM, all of the cam settings (BMD Pocket Cinema 4K) get restored except:
White balance
Tint
Those 2 items don't get restored.
Is it supposed to work like this or am I doing something wrong?
thanks, Peter

hcmobilemedia

PostTue Feb 15, 2022 10:03 pm

PeterSprague wrote:Hi All, I've noticed this behavior and wondered if you all are having the same problem.

When I do a "Restore" cam settings on my ATEM, all of the cam settings (BMD Pocket Cinema 4K) get restored except:
White balance
Tint
Those 2 items don't get restored.
Is it supposed to work like this or am I doing something wrong?
thanks, Peter

I have this same problem, can't seem to get the ATEM to keep my white balance/tint settings on our studio 4k pro cameras, even if I change it in Software Control. Power off/on resets both. I bought a hardware switcher so I wouldn't have to deal with a software-based solution. The "W/Bal" button on my ATEM Switcher doesn't even work, which makes me wonder what I'm missing.

Sometimes, the tint value will jump up to 40,000 or more for no reason. Cameras, Ethernet Studio Converters, ATEM Switcher and Software, etc. all with latest updates as of today. Using ATEM TV Studio Pro HD.

Currently my only "workaround" is to set my Camera IDs to 9, which disables Tally and Control. Hardly a workaround, but I can't figure out what else to do. Cameras still receive Reference/Timecode from the ATEM with this method, fortunately.

PeterSprague

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 2:48 am

Hi Anthony, thanks for your note and I was able to confirm with BMD tech support that this is a bug that they'll fix in an upcoming software update.

So, glad that we aren't making it up.

all best, Peter

hcmobilemedia

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 2:53 pm

PeterSprague wrote:Hi Anthony, thanks for your note and I was able to confirm with BMD tech support that this is a bug that they'll fix in an upcoming software update.

So, glad that we aren't making it up.

all best, Peter

That's good news. Thank you for sharing that.

What did they say specifically would be fixed? Just the White Balance/Tint not saving/restoring in Software Control?

PeterSprague

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 2:55 pm

Yes just white balance and tint being restored. I went through and tested all of the other parameters and they work as they should.

all best, Peter

cshuptrine

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 10:47 pm

I am experiencing the same problem with two new Studio 4K Pro cameras and a Studio Pro HD switcher. At the moment the only solution I have been able to come up with is manually modifying the .xml file. I have been able to get the white balance to store successfully, but I have still not been able to store the Tint successfully.

Was this ever addressed in a software update?

PeterSprague

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 3:00 pm

Hi and yep the tech guys know about this bug and will address it in an upcoming update.

I hope soon, best, P

hcmobilemedia

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 3:24 pm

cshuptrine wrote:Was this ever addressed in a software update?
No updates on the support page at the moment. There was a camera update on February 9th, but I believe that had more to do with a timing issue in the Ethernet Studio Converters.
cshuptrine wrote:I am experiencing the same problem with two new Studio 4K Pro cameras and a Studio Pro HD switcher.
I had the Studio Pro HD and the Studio HD switcher (the smaller one) at the same time for a brief period, so I had a chance to mess around with both to try and solve the issue. No success with the Studio Pro HD unfortunately, but the Studio HD was a different story:

I WAS able to get it to stop resetting the white balance & tint, but only if I kept it disconnected from ATEM software control. And I don't necessarily mean unplugging the ethernet from the switcher. I just mean manually setting the IP address in Software Control to something other than the switcher. As long as Software Control didn't see the switcher, I could power cycle all I want and the white balance/tint would remain the same. This way I could also still adjust switcher settings while my cameras are off by quickly changing the IP address back.

That wasn't the case on the Studio Pro HD, even though I had both switchers updated to the same software version, which show as 8.1.1 after updating them using version 8.6.4 of Software Control. Seems like the WB/Tint reset is just built right into the switcher itself. Usually the higher end equipment requires (and is made for) more manual adjusting.

I even tried manually setting the white balance from the switcher, which can be rather tedious. It's just an up button with 50K increments and no way to go backward. Have to go all the way up to 10K just to loop back around, again in 50K increments. Great switcher but kind of a useless button. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about how that works.
Last edited by hcmobilemedia on Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan Reck

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 8:38 am

Has this issue been resolved in the meantime?

I have the same problem here: ATEM ISO Extreme, 1x BMPCC 6K Pro and 2x BMD Studio Camera 4KPlus. Mapping is correct and the live camera controls in Atem Control work. The BMPCC 6K Pro has all its settings saved just fine if I save an .xml file from ATEM control and restore that after the system has been turned off. However on the Studio4KPlus it only saves and recalls part of the parameters...

JochiPochi

PostMon Apr 25, 2022 6:40 pm

So far under version 8.7 released today (4/25/2022) the XML settings still don't save White balance nor tint.

Can someone share how to manually edit the XML file to store white balance?.

My workaround currently is to use macros for setting the camera white balances.

This post was helpful:
(I'm not allowed to post URLs so search reddit atem_camera_control_parameters for some macro insights)

I really wish BlackMagic would address this issue though, the experience using this cameras is very frustrating.

Markfrench

PostThu Jul 14, 2022 5:49 pm

PeterSprague wrote:Hi and yep the tech guys know about this bug and will address it in an upcoming update.

Any progress on this? It doesn't seem like the last few updates have addressed it. This is a HUGE issue. I'm surprised they haven't made a quick fix for this in the YEARS it has been an issue.

1. Save my camera settings
2. Let me paste camera settings from one camera to another
3. Have buttons in ATEM software for preset custom settings (C1, C2, C3, etc.)

It doesn't seem like an issue that should take years to acknowledge and fix.

PeterSprague

PostThu Jul 14, 2022 5:51 pm

They still haven't fixed it yet!

And yeah it does seem like it would be an easy thing to fix and I do like your ideas about saving camera settings.

Keep bugging them and maybe we can get them to fix it.

All the best, Peter

JoeVoorhees

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 12:32 pm

September 2022... This is still a problem. Is this ever going to be addressed? Camera settings used to work flawlessly, now not so much.

Stefan Reck

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 9:02 am

8.8 is out and still no sign of a solution. It's really frustrating.
To me the root of the problem seems to be that the startup state saving routine uses a slightly different XML parameter format than the one the macro routine is using. Why is that? And why does it only save a very limited, seemingly arbitrary set of parameters?
My current workaround is generating a macro that stores all the camera settings and executing this on startup. It's a pain in the a** to do it this way though. After I have set up the cameras I have to start recording a macro and exercise each and every camera setting slightly to make it record in the macro. Afterwards I have to manually review the exported XML file to make shure I didn't miss anything. I'm currently working on having some sort of external software record and replay my mouse movements to make that easier to do, but I'm not sure if this is going to work with the way the ATEM camera control GUI is set up...

PhilPritchard

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 5:35 am

Hi All, any updates on this. Our Atem Extreme is playing havoc with camera settings!

Phil.

hcmobilemedia

PostFri Feb 24, 2023 3:26 pm

Just wanted to highlight a related post in case anyone hasn't seen it. I know it doesn't mention the exact switcher everyone is talking about but may still be helpful. This is a quote from a Blackmagic Design employee, Gary Adams.
"If you want the full designed functionality of the ATEM Television Studio HD or HD Pro, please install version 7.5.2. The media and saving the Startup State will work correctly."
You can see the full thread here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110658&p=869440&hilit=studio+4k+pro#p869440

Return to Live Production