Bidirectional micro converter + mini pro G1= problem

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alain Bourassa

Bidirectional micro converter + mini pro G1= problem

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 4:06 pm

We just received our ATEM EXTREME ISO
we own several pocket 6K and Ursa mini pro G1

we bought 2 Bidirectional converters to used them with the Mini pro with the switcher

But ....

when you connect them properly to the Mini pro you loose the viewfinder !
the camera seems to think that as soon as the micro converter SDI out is connected to the SDI In of the camera it has to force a program return in the viewfinder
and the result is a blue screen inside the viewfinder
also the tally light doesn't work on the URSA Mini pro with the micro converter
if I connect only the sdi out of the camera, the viewfinder is back but I loose the CCU control of the camera which was the reason to buy them

also the same thing on our big studio viewfinder , no video no tally :(

BennoZ

Re: Bidirectional micro converter + mini pro G1= problem

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 5:21 pm

Have you set the reference to internal on the Ursa? It should work, I have the same configuration.

To get the tally work in the viewfinder you have to set the overlay to 'On'. It took some time for me to discover this....

Alain Bourassa

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 6:18 pm

Reference : internal, program or external = same results blue screen in viewfinder

if only 1 bnc is connected I have picture on the VF screen
could be from the camera to the converter
or remote control from the converter to the camera sdi input
but both cable to have pictures AND remote = blue screen

Overlay on or off in the viewfinder menu = same results no tally lights

camera ATEM id at 5
bidirectionnal ID at 5
connected on hdmi 5 on the switcher

Alain Bourassa

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 6:31 pm

did one more test with a cfast card

when both coax are connected if I press record the led on the left side of the front rec button turns red but the vf tally stays off

if I disconnect any of the 2 SDi cable, either the out or the in, the picture comes back in the VF and the tally will turn red when I press record

really a software problem here

NicWassell

PostFri Nov 26, 2021 1:46 pm

Bumping this as I'm having the same problem right now. Does anyone know a fix?

BennoZ

PostFri Nov 26, 2021 1:54 pm

It looks like your tally light of the viewfinder is set to off in the viewfinder menu.
To see the tally in the viewfinder you have to set overlay to on and disable the overlays you don’t want.

Do you see return video if you press the return/program button on lens/body? You have to put an hdmi cable from program out Atem to HDMI in on BiDirectional 3G converter.

NicWassell

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 12:54 pm

BennoZ wrote:It looks like your tally light of the viewfinder is set to off in the viewfinder menu.
To see the tally in the viewfinder you have to set overlay to on and disable the overlays you don’t want.

Do you see return video if you press the return/program button on lens/body? You have to put an hdmi cable from program out Atem to HDMI in on BiDirectional 3G converter.

The tally and overlays options are on - the problem seems to be that connecting both sdi cables from the converter to the rear in/out ports knocks out the front sdi (as everything I read seems to say that a completely blue screen means that the viewfinder isn't getting a signal from the camera). Seeing as the signal is fine when either no rear cables are connected or just one of them is connected (or both are connected but there is no power supplied to the converter) it seems very much like a bug. I submitted a support request yesterday so we'll see what BM say.

(Also yep the pgm works when the hdmi from the ATEM Pro 'out' port is connected back to the converter so everything seems to be working as it should be in that regard. Just the viewfinder is not working)

BennoZ

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm

This looks like a faulty unit, I think BM will respond to you soon.

NicWassell

PostWed Dec 22, 2021 1:39 pm

Just an update on this. After going through several rounds of testing with Jake Cook at BM, I'm sending the Converter back under RMA to see if they can discover the problem. I will update further when I hear more.

Thanks

Johannes Jonsson

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 3:38 pm

NicWassell wrote:Just an update on this. After going through several rounds of testing with Jake Cook at BM, I'm sending the Converter back under RMA to see if they can discover the problem. I will update further when I hear more.

Thanks

Was it the original bidirectional converter you used?
Only bidirectional converter 3G and 12G lets the control data through to the camera.
The original bidirectional converter that is NOT 3G or 12G does not throughput the camera control data.
Johannes

Return to Live Production