Atem Mini Input Problem

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

LukasPB

Atem Mini Input Problem

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Hello,

I have a problem.
I would like to use a Samsung Flip 2 as input on a Atem Mini (a digital flipchart). This has an HDMI out, I have set the settings to 1080p.
The Atem Mini does not recognize the signal correctly and only shows distorted patterns and colors. What could be the reason?

When I connect the Flip 2 to a monitor, it displays the image correctly, so the output seems to be working.

Thank you

LukasPB

Re: Atem Mini Input Problem

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 3:05 pm

In the meantime I've tried to use an HDMI amplifier and splitter between Flip and Atem, unfortunately none of it helped.

With a cheap HDMI capture stick, it works fine, only the Atem Mini seems to have problems with the signal.

I also tried to set different input frame rates with the help of the software, but that was not successful either.

Anyone else have an idea?

Thanks!

sonorific

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 pm

Do you have (or have access to) a frame rate converter/scaler? When things don't work, you're pretty much flying blind without one, because you can't see any details on the output of your device. Something like a Decimator MD-HX will give you info about your device's output and, if necessary, you can convert to a frame rate that the ATEM Mini supports. Even the less expensive MD-LX will give you useful info about your device's output when connected to a computer, although it won't let you do any conversion.

LukasPB

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks for the answer! Unfortunately, I do not have such a device available. According to the internet, the output signal is 60fps, which the mixer should support, but I don't know if that's really true, Samsung does not provide any information on this either.

sonorific

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 1:13 am

Have you tried connecting the flip chart to input 1 on the ATEM Mini? Alternatively, have you tried connecting ONLY the flip chart to the ATEM Mini - power off, disconnect all other devices, connect flip chart to input 1, then power on? Absent a frame rate converter, methodical troubleshooting is your best bet.

LukasPB

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 am

I will try that. I think if nothing works I will try another switcher and see if it is compatible.

Many Thanks

andisailer

PostMon May 03, 2021 10:02 pm

Hey there, did you have any success with the Flip?
I've got the same problem connected to an Atem Constellation via a bidirectional 3G converter, just getting green diagonal lines. Unfortunately don't have a Decimator.

kkta80

PostTue May 25, 2021 6:14 am

We also tried this with a Samsung Flip Chart. It seems like ours has only an HDMI input so we used a Windows wireless receiver which we also use in our meeting rooms for TVs. The Samsung FC has a transmitter for this standard integrated.
But it didn't work on the Atem Mini. We plugged the video receiver in a laptop and a charger by USB to have power supply but somehow the receiver does not start or boot. I believ a TV gives the receiver a start signal for booting and Atem does not.
Does anybody have an idea how solve this way?

Perel33

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 8:29 am

I have just managed to successfully achieve this with our Samsung Flip 2.

1) Upgrade the Samsung Flip's firmware to version 1171. Use the built-in update check of the Flip.
2) After doing this, under Settings > Picture > Screenshare (Wired) > Change it to FHD2.
This allowed the ATEM to see the screen in any of the ATEM inputs.

White seems to be a bit yellowish but I can certainly live with that.
Hopefully, this helps those still looking for an answer.

Sofia S

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 8:58 am

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the tip @Perel33.

Unfortunately, we still have no image on the Atem. We used an HDMI cable between Screen share output on the connectivity tray and Atem input.
What have we done wrong?
I am not a technical wizard, so beforehand I would like to apologize for any simple mistakes we have done while trying out your tip.

Best regards, Sofia

Perel33 wrote:I have just managed to successfully achieve this with our Samsung Flip 2.

1) Upgrade the Samsung Flip's firmware to version 1171. Use the built-in update check of the Flip.
2) After doing this, under Settings > Picture > Screenshare (Wired) > Change it to FHD2.
This allowed the ATEM to see the screen in any of the ATEM inputs.

White seems to be a bit yellowish but I can certainly live with that.
Hopefully, this helps those still looking for an answer.

jan@tablet-academy.de

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 2:34 pm

We also use our ATEM mini with our Samsung Flip. We do receive a HDMI signal on all inputs, but the color is very yellow. I was wondering if I could alternate the color inside the ATEM with some magic switch or dial.

Does anyone here know if there is a way to correct the color inside the ATEM?

I am also just a regular user of the switch wish for a lot....

andisailer

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 7:23 pm

I think the White Balance of the HDMI Out depends on the color temperature setting in the Flip menu. I have set ours to 3200k, since I'm white balancing the cameras to tungsten lights, but that renders the HDMI Out practically useless.
If you set yours to 10000k or what the highest setting is, you might see better results.

That being said, the chroma key in the Atem has some color correction options, maybe you could use that?

perrylawrence

PostFri Apr 08, 2022 6:58 pm

My solution after none of the above worked:

On Samsung Flip, go to export, screen share, then toggle from WIRED to WIRELESS then back again. Works like a charm.

It seems that the Flip latches the wired output signal somehow and toggling off then back on seems to work. At least for me.

RogerCain2020

PostThu Jan 18, 2024 2:32 pm

ATEM Constellation 8k / Video Assist same issue here.
Flip with extra Tray and HDMI Screenshare delivers Picture on every Monitor connected. But just get Black Screen on BMD Video Assit or BMD Constellation :(

Return to Live Production