Atem Mini Extreme ISO randomly stops recording

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

retailgeek

Atem Mini Extreme ISO randomly stops recording

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 pm

I've had my extreme for a week or so, but just trying to do my first recording, and it's very frustrating. I have it set to record ISOs, I have a USB-C SSD attached to the ATEM, and after about 10 minutes or so of recording, it just stops!?!?

I have plenty of capacity left on the drive. I've tried both a Samsung T5 1 TB drive, a Sandisk Extreme 2TB, and a Sandisk Extreme Pro 1TB. All three just randomly stop recording after 5-10 minutes. Any ideas what might be wrong and/or how I can troubleshoot?

The ATEM (via multiview) shows plenty of capacity on each of the drives. The drives do record the program and ISO output until it stops.

I was looking to put a video down today, and am totally bummed I can get it working. Thanks for any help!

-Jason

rstreber

Re: Atem Mini Extreme ISO randomly stops recording

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 pm

I used my AMEI all day yesterday with a T7 connected, and had no issues. I recorded many takes that were over 10 minutes long, and it seemed pretty rock-solid. My streaming quality was set to high, and the T7 was formatted for Mac OS extended. I was recording three inputs, so not a huge amount of data being written. How many cameras / inputs do you have connected?
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

Fornez

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 pm

make sure you are using the right usb c cable. As in not a cheap one you got off amazon

victorotsuka

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Hey guys, I will work with tomorrow an Atem Mini PRO ISO and I wanna know how much time can I record on a SSD of 120gb, and if It's possible to use a SSD with 430MB/s of write speed. Anyone can help me? :oops:

ishootyou.com

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 am

Same here :( AMEI stopped recording after about 5 minutes but without giving any hint on the multiview or device itself. Samsung T7 1GB
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

throwfirewoodatblackmagic

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 9:43 am

Same problem here. Multiple different cables and drives, sometimes the video just cuts and gets “jammed”, one cannot stop the recording (the red light stays on).
Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD8 ISO | ATEM Pocket Cinemas | FujiFilm XT2s | FCPX | LPX | MIDAS M32R Live | Apple Silicon

Jef_Medway

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 8:48 pm

I just have the same issue with my AMEI.
Does anyone found it how solve it or what is creating this error?

mightymatth

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 10:48 am

Also the same issue on ATEM Mini Pro. When recording to Sandisk Extreme 1TB (v1), it suddenly stops recording after a random amount of time (sometimes 20 min, sometimes over 1 hour, doesn't matter). Then, the record button is not activated, so when I click again to record, it doesn't start recording, but the record gets activated (red color). When I try to stop recording again, it doesn't stop and the red button stays activated whatever I click. It gets stuck for the entire session until I restart the unit.

I've updated the device to the latest software, using recommended SSD drive from the list, I've formatted the disk multiple times to exFAT (even on Windows and macOS), and it happens all over again... I cannot find anything that could solve this because I don't know where to start.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to try to identify the cause of this issue? I'm discouraged from breaking my recordings all the time. It's really frustrating.

beechyrb

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 5:43 pm

The same issue happens on ATEM Mini Extreme.

Things I have tried...
    Purchases a new Atem Mini Extreme
    Updated the device to the latest software
    Downgraded to random versions
    Tried multiple recommended SSD drives from the list (Sandisk, Samsung T7 & T3)
    Re-formatted the disks multiple times to exFAT

Nothing seems to solve this issue and it is super frustrating. I think we need a software update to fix this issue.

mediastorm

PostMon Dec 19, 2022 2:44 pm

Same here as well today. Our Extreme ISO has worked flawlessly, using the Samsung T5 multiple times. Today it just stopped after 20 mins or so, no warnings, nothing. I was switching and operating it as normal, but when trying to stop REC...no go.

This must have some kind of fix, or to be able to at least get a warning of some kind. As long as I know it has issues, I might be able to stop the session I am recording at least....!

Best,
Kurt
Norway

JamesMMP

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 11:48 pm

Same thing happen to me today while recording a live stream. Is there a fix??

avhjunior

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 1:27 pm

I'm a new ATEM mini extreme user and posts like this or others where it stops streaming or cache fills give me pause. Esp. when it's been working fine and then it stops working and we don't know why.

I would think there are internal logs that have info (like error numbers) when something like this occurs. It would help to better characterize what's happening and compare with others if we knew how to access this info.

proamp

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 9:52 am

Same problem.

I think its ATEM hardware or firmware issue.

Before SSD record failure multiview output blinks for a second (turn black for a second then appear as normal)

SSD record failure every time after that blink.

It's real problem.

forart.it

PostFri May 05, 2023 8:53 am

Same issue here: after 30-45 mins, recording button starts to blink...
...at the moment the only solution we find is to completely stop and then restart recording.

Box we use: IB-1817MC-C31 + SNV2S/2000G

TrioStudiosTLV

PostWed May 31, 2023 10:48 am

Same issue here.
ATEM Mini Pro ISO recording to Samsung T5 1TB with the provided USB-C cable. Recording just stopped after 3 minutes (audio kept for 7 more seconds). No visual alerts what so ever.

This just cost me a whole session with a paying client with no way to recover what's lost.

Any OFFICIAL BLACKMAGIC SUPPORT is here at all? Looks like many users have this issue and this makes the whole ATEM system unreliable.

tjp740

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 6:44 pm

This is just what it does, and BlackMagic has no desire to fix it. You may have good luck using an SSD on their approved devices list, but who knows, you may have problems there too. When I asked for support on this problem, they asked me to send my unit in for evaluation. They insisted that it was working properly and refused to admit that it was doing what I said it was doing, even when I provided very specific instructions on how to reproduce the problem.

TrioStudiosTLV

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 9:55 am

Can you please write what you have found to be the way to reproduce the problem? So maybe I can focus on what I should do differently to minimize the chance of this happening again.
Thanks

tjp740 wrote:This is just what it does, and BlackMagic has no desire to fix it. You may have good luck using an SSD on their approved devices list, but who knows, you may have problems there too. When I asked for support on this problem, they asked me to send my unit in for evaluation. They insisted that it was working properly and refused to admit that it was doing what I said it was doing, even when I provided very specific instructions on how to reproduce the problem.

forart.it

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 10:43 am

BREAKING

The ATEM Extreme ISO we use succesfully recorded 5+ hours of 8 video + 2 audio streams using a "naked" (= withoud heatspeader enclosure, just board+cable) IB-1817MC-C31 into a MZ-V7S1T0BW.

According to our IT technician this should mean that ATEMs requires NVMEs with write cache (SLC) to work correctly.

If someone can confirm this with a counter-test, the issue is "solved".

Weston Woodbury

Re: Atem Mini Extreme ISO, HD8 ISO randomly stops recording

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 7:58 pm

Similar issues, sometimes, here. Came to see if anyone has insight.

Looks like the recommended list was made in 2021 and still not updated for the new HD8 ISO atem.... Bueller?

We have been using a "recommended" 2TB Delkin Juggler drive from this old list of drives. Occasionally, the Atem Mini Extreme ISO would do same behavior as others are experiencing -- either:

1) appearing to be recording without issues, then when you go to stop recording, the it's non functional. Won't "cut". Pull the card and usually there's a corrupt partial record (definitely not full file size, none of the videos will open).
or
2) the record button begins to flash, and has similar end results to above.

We got a HD8 ISO hoping it would help, with how hot the the Atem Mini's get, I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a overheating issue.

The issues actually got way worse. We were getting about a 20%-30% failure rate trying to record to the "recommended" Delkin on HD8. Tried formatting, tried a few different super speed cables that came with fast SSDs.

Eventually I tried some Glyph Atom Mini SSDs that I carry around for camera recording, and that has been flawless so far two days of many recordings in--even though they aren't on the recommended list at all.

Pretty interesting. Definitely wish there was at least a better feedback system as to if and when there are record issues. We understand it's a bonus feature that's very new and nearly experimental; that this is proxy record. So we record in-camera as well and record Program output separately just in case. But reliable feedback for write issues happening would sure be helpful. ;)

Wee! Cheap things + innovative new workflows for ya. :mrgreen: :ugeek:

Return to Live Production