Nikon D7000 for ATEM Mini camera

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Rev320

Nikon D7000 for ATEM Mini camera

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 2:27 pm

I have a Nikon D7000 DSLR camera I want to use as a camera with my ATEM Mini Pro ISO. When I connect it to a monitor using a HDMI cable, the live video shows.

However, if I connect the camera to my ATEM, the camera shuts off the live view on the camera. I can scroll through and see pictures on my SD card, but cannot show live video.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to make this work?

Thanks,

Ian Tindale

Re: Nikon D7000 for ATEM Mini camera

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 4:44 pm

I used to have a D7000 a long time ago. It doesn’t have clean HDMI, so is effectively useless for this sort of thing and was what prompted me to get rid of it, all my SB flashes, most lenses and move over to (in my case) Sony.

sonorific

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 pm

I have a D7100 and a D7200, both of which have clean HDMI. Not sure if the D7000 does.

The following is assuming similar/same menu structure on all of the Nikon D7x00 series cameras. It's possible that some of these settings may not exist on the D7000:

1st place to start is turn off device control in the setup menu so the camera isn't looking for an external controller when connected to HDMI. Setup Menu/HDMI/Device Control

If the D7000 has clean HDMI output, this is where you would find the setting to enable live view without any text overlays: Setup Menu/HDMI/Advanced.

Rev320

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 3:52 am

Thanks a million. Turning off Device Control is just what I needed.

I found a couple of YouTube videos that talk about changing the firmware to give a clean HDMI. I am not sure I want to do that unless there is a Nikon authorized update that will allow the viewing of those settings to be turned on and off.

Ian Tindale

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 9:36 am

sonorific wrote:I have a D7100 and a D7200, both of which have clean HDMI. Not sure if the D7000 does.

It doesn’t.
sonorific wrote:If the D7000 has clean HDMI output, …

It still doesn’t

Frank Engel

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 9:39 am

Not familiar with this camera specifically, and without a clean HDMI output it probably isn't going to be useful regardless, but getting back to the original question: just a hunch, but wondering if the issue is related to negotiation of video format between the camera and the display? In particular, is the frame rate of the camera set to match the frame rate of the ATEM?

The ATEM Mini should be able to convert the incoming signal from the camera to the required frame rate, but if between them they are negotiating and decide on a frame rate which differs from the video format of the camera, wondering if the camera might then be disabling the video functionality. Again, just a guess...

Howard Roll

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 11:46 am

sonorific wrote:1st place to start is turn off device control in the setup menu so the camera isn't looking for an external controller when connected to HDMI. Setup Menu/HDMI/Device Control

Most likely, we already know that the AMP is broadcasting on the CEC+ channel.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production