ISO is NOT ISO! - Help

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rmbeng

ISO is NOT ISO! - Help

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 1:39 pm

Please help us as a community.
The ISO recordings are only Video ISOs!! The audio is totally corrupted, as all ISO recordings have Program mixed audio tracks. What you have to do is go into the Audio ISO folder to find the, let's say' CAM 3 audio. The problem is is that there is no easy way to re-sync the ISO audio with the ISO video clip because as the audio track on the ISO video recording does not have the same waveform to reference to, because it is corrupted as a program audio mix. What's up with that? and can you tell us all how to fix this terrible oversight by Black Magic?

Incase you need an actual example of what we are doing (I doubt you do) below, is what we are doing and how we discovered this big issue. I do hope that we are just doing something wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion the we are up the creek without a paddle. That said I have a hard time believing the BMD does not understand the term ISO so, perhaps I am worried for nothing. Anyway here is the scenario.

So what we are doing is a 3 camera staged shoot with movie directors commenting on movie scenes. Basically, ATEM inputs 1, 2 and 3 are Cameras (Not BMPCs) and the 4th input is a feed from the video projector that shows a variety of Movie clips for comment. We just did our rehearsal and brought the project file into resolve, We did a re-syncing of the 3 cams using waveform alignment and all is fine, but when we went to replace the movie clip with the high res input from the projector we realized that the audio was not ISO, but the mixed program out audio. So we went to the Audio ISO folder to grab the Audio for the variety of film clips that was commented on and there is no way to sync them because there is not uncorrupted audio to use for waveform alignment.

BennoZ

Re: ISO is NOT ISO! - Help

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Finally someone else who discovered this big problem of the Atem mini’s. I already told BM but the answer is: “Yes, that’s how it works”, so it looks like they won’t fix this. Please tell BM your problem too!!!
By the way there’s also slight delay in audio in the ISO-recordings which creates an echo, especially input 2, 3 and 4 are about 11 ms delayed, channel 4 a little more. (3-8 in the Extreme)

rstreber

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 9:42 pm

I haven't had a chance to check this yet, but is this indeed true? The isos don't actually record the discrete audio from their sources but only the program audio? This question came up in the thread about external timecode, and it was insisted that in most scenarios it wasn't necessary because the isos would have unique audio that would allow them to be sync'd by waveform. If that's not actually true then it would be that much more frustrating that external TC isn't possible...
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

jallen0

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 9:45 pm

In that example the external audio needs to be sync'd from the in-camera files, not the ISO files. But yea, no external timecode control sucks.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

jallen0

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 1:39 am

I am getting my ISO extreme in a few days and have already sold my Mini Pro ISO so I cannot check your issue. However on page 52 of the manual it states:

"Audio input files from each input as well as the microphone inputs are also recorded. These are placed into a sub folder called Audio Source Files. These files are in broadcast WAV format and are professional stereo audio files that exclude any processing or EQ from the built in ATEM Mini audio mixer.

So this means the files are clean and you can use them to create a whole new audio mix using professional audio software. The audio tiles also include timecode so they are synchronized to the video files."

Are you saying this is not what is happening? If that is true you need to open a support ticket.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

randyd

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 am

I think what they are saying is that the audio files are available but they are not sync'ed to the video files. This makes it hard to synchronize to the video.

The audio files synced to the video files are the program audio only. So you need a sync point in all of the files and resync them manually.

Frank Engel

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 8:55 am

jallen0 wrote:The audio tiles also include timecode so they are synchronized to the video files."

This is the key. If the files include matching timecode they can be synced using the timecode without a matching audio reference - and that is actually much more reliable than trying to sync the audio from the two sources.

Howard Roll

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 2:02 pm

Place the audio and video files in the same bin, open the pair you want to sync and link them from the audio pane using the link button on the bottom right of the pane. The audio and video files are the same length and have the same start, one click and done.

Good Luck
link.png
link.png (25.28 KiB) Viewed 814 times

Return to Live Production