Video call quality

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

WahWay

Video call quality

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 2:39 am

This is a beginners question. The video is fine in my end, everything looks good. Go on MS Teams or Zoom meeting, other people in the other end see markedly drop in video feed from me. First thing I considered is network speed, then if more people join in the meeting the video quality drops even more. I see this happening in very fast ethernet at work too.
Is there a way of maintaining the video call quality so everyone can see you clearly?

David_Anderson

Re: Video call quality

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 1:17 pm

Video quality is almost always related to bandwidth. Have you run a speedtest?

Best,

David

WahWay wrote:This is a beginners question. The video is fine in my end, everything looks good. Go on MS Teams or Zoom meeting, other people in the other end see markedly drop in video feed from me. First thing I considered is network speed, then if more people join in the meeting the video quality drops even more. I see this happening in very fast ethernet at work too.
Is there a way of maintaining the video call quality so everyone can see you clearly?
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

Derfla

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 3:55 pm

WahWay wrote:This is a beginners question. The video is fine in my end, everything looks good. Go on MS Teams or Zoom meeting, other people in the other end see markedly drop in video feed from me. First thing I considered is network speed, then if more people join in the meeting the video quality drops even more. I see this happening in very fast ethernet at work too.

Is this with your own personal Zoom account? If so, which Zoom plan do you have? I ask because the business plan for example allows for more bandwidth. In fact, you can adjust it to 720p or 1080p in your portal settings. I don't think you can do this with the free account. I'm not sure about Teams since I don't have a private account.

WahWay

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 5:15 pm

I use MS Teams but occassionally Zoom which is a free account. The other day I joined a Zoom meeting hosted by someone else, all video calls I see are rubbish as usual. I connected my 1st gen Web Presenter to an Atomos Ninja Blade and played a video clip and someone in the other end instantly recognise the person on my video from 8yrs ago who changed a lot since so I assume he can see much better on his end than I'm seeing them. Is it because he has a paid Zoom account with higher bandwidth?

At work we have a superfast fibre ethernet but videocalls are always consistently bad because their recording of the meeting is just as bad as how it was when I attended the meeting.

Return to Live Production