ATEM Mini Series: MIC Inputs - Stereo signal

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ishootyou.com

ATEM Mini Series: MIC Inputs - Stereo signal

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 7:17 pm

I have no access to the hardware at the moment so I need to ask here instead of testing: If I connect a STEREO signal to one of the MIC inputs, will this:

1) be mixed down to a mono signal
2) result in a "normal" stereo audio recording with L/R channels

3) Is it possible to route a stereo signal coming in on MIC 1 internally to TWO channels?

I will be using a Rode Wireless Go II setup to record two speakers. The receiver outputs the signal via a stereo jack, one speaker on the left, one on the right channel. The idea is to be able to a) adjust both speakers during the live stream seperately via the ATEM's software mixer and b) to be able to edit both speakers in post as each one has it's own channel of the stereo recording.

I know the Wireless Go II transmitters are capable of recording on board. But being able to adjust levels via the software mixer would be great.
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

Cybershadow

Re: ATEM Mini Series: MIC Inputs - Stereo signal

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 4:18 pm

2 and 3 are both possible.

Each MIC input acts as an unbalanced stereo input by default. In ATEM Software Control, you can split each channel into two separate mono channels. However, you cannot control both channels individually with the ATEM's hardware buttons, only in pairs. The LEDs of the buttons (ON/OFF/AFV) only reflect the state of the left channel, so basically you have to use Software Control to make any changes.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

ishootyou.com

Re: ATEM Mini Series: MIC Inputs - Stereo signal

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 5:39 pm

Cybershadow wrote:2 and 3 are both possible.

Each MIC input acts as an unbalanced stereo input by default. In ATEM Software Control, you can split each channel into two separate mono channels. However, you cannot control both channels individually with the ATEM's hardware buttons, only in pairs. The LEDs of the buttons (ON/OFF/AFV) only reflect the state of the left channel, so basically you have to use Software Control to make any changes.

Yes, we were able to use it that way today. The odd thing is, however, that only the LEFT channels are fed while the RIGHT channels need to be muted. Despite only the left channels having audio, both left and right channels have an equal signal on the headphone and main out.I wonder why it doesn't simply feed audio to left and right :(
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

Return to Live Production