When will the Studio Camera 4k finally get a software update

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

valentinpando

When will the Studio Camera 4k finally get a software update

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 am

This camera is more than 4 years old, but the software on it is still unfinished. There even is a hardware LUT Button on the front that is yet to be implemented! It just does not do anything, and the manual says "not implemented yet". When I saw it had a LUT button, I thought it must have LUT functionality. Otherwise, I might not have bought it.

Also, some menu points have a dropdown with only 1 option in it. Especially the setting for dynamic range needs the option to shoot in a flat profile (like other Blackmagic Cameras). You can only choose "Video", but not "Extended Video" or "Film". That would increase the image quality by a lot, and we are really missing that feature.

Blackmagic Design, PLEASE give us this update!

Tom_Bassford

Re: When will the Studio Camera 4k finally get a software up

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 7:10 pm

Haha haha
Yeah good luck with that.

Throw it away and buy one of the new cameras, they are also buggy and missing features.

It’s the BMD way..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

valentinpando

PostSat May 01, 2021 6:12 pm

Not statement, @blackmagic? This is really disappointing. I'd even say it's a fraud to have a button for a function but then not include the function on the camera.

Paid 8K for the 5 cameras, paid another 20K for our BMD Livestream setup. Kinda feel like I deserve to get an answer at least.

Xtreemtec

PostSun May 02, 2021 4:30 pm

You are calling out to blackmagic but this is a USER!!! Forum!!

Yes there are a few bmd guys for moderation and keep the forum clean. But almost never something mentioned here is done something with.

As others saying bmd does do much firmware updates to old products like 4+ years old. They just replace them with a new product the moment it’s ready!!

There are so many products that have buttons that do nothing or features that never been implemented. This is part of the philosophy release quick. Sell a lot and see what we can do afterwards in extras in firmware.

But a lot of features will never make it into end product due to not stable enough or others.

It’s not Sony that has it included all before release. But with Sony you pay 20x the price.

As for functionality. ALWAYS!! And I mean ALWAYS look into the Manual before buying something to be sure the function you “need” is included and supported!! Or get at least a demo to check if the features you need are there.

But buying all that gear and starting to complain at BMD for doing a bad job while you didn’t properly do your homework in the first place is the bad on your part!!

Also if bmd would make all this affordable gear you probably would not even be in this business as for that 20+k you would just buy 1 Sony studio cam without controller, CCU, and other needed hardware to get it running.

So don’t blame BMD. For no updates on old products.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

valentinpando

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:22 pm

Chill. Was not really hoping for them to answer here, but at least to my mails.

Including a hardware button and not making it clear that no such function exists is a bloody scam, period. You do not look up if the camera you want to buy can switch ISO levels when it has a button that says it can. And literally ALL Blackmagic Cameras can do LUTs. So don't blame me to think this one might just have the button on it for fun.

Even in the technical overview on the website they name the LUT button but do not mention it does not actually work.

@Kim Janson see the attached images.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 18.18.17.png
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 18.18.17.png (813.62 KiB) Viewed 831 times
blackmagic-studio-camera-4k (1).png
blackmagic-studio-camera-4k (1).png (39.55 KiB) Viewed 831 times

valentinpando

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:38 pm

Also, I don't finde 1800€ to be very cheap for a camera with that ******* color science. The highlight rolloff is horrible, the skintones are all orange. I new that, but expected to get it under control with a LUT and I kinda expected to be able to manage the dynamic range setting (but unfortunately that's not implemented, too).

A sony 4k camcoder with buildin powezoom would be the better alternative in retrospect. Not really a filmlike look, but better colors and cheaper considering price for lenses and zoom motors.

Return to Live Production