Recording BUG? ATEM EXTREME ISO

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ishootyou.com

Recording BUG? ATEM EXTREME ISO

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 5:08 pm

We experienced a serious issue today with the EXTREME ISO. Using a T5 with 1TB we ran a 45 minute Zoom session. Throughout the event the ATEM software gave a positive readout with correctly showing the recording time counting up, REC button red and drive flashing . At the end I pressed the stop button but the drive just kept flashing with the REC button still lit and a red ISO RECORDING readout on the multiview.
After ten minutes I disconnected the drive to find out that only about five minutes of the event had been recorded!

Drive was Mac formatted and connected using the cable it came with. Compatible according to BM.

Did others experience this, too?
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

Jefbox

Re: Recording BUG? ATEM EXTREME ISO

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 10:01 am

I've got a ATEM Mini Pro ISO (latest firmware) and I'm using a Lacy Rugged Mini 1TB (formatted as EXFAT).
When I hit record, after a few minutes it also starts flashing red.

Fortunately till this moment my recordings has been good, but it's not a comforting thought that it could be corrupted or partly recorded.

ishootyou.com

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 7:20 pm

Jefbox wrote:I've got a ATEM Mini Pro ISO (latest firmware) and I'm using a Lacy Rugged Mini 1TB (formatted as EXFAT).
When I hit record, after a few minutes it also starts flashing red.

Fortunately till this moment my recordings has been good, but it's not a comforting thought that it could be corrupted or partly recorded.

Exactly. I just can't trust this device and in the end will have to connect a recorder to the 2nd hdmi out so I can at least have the PGM footage. My Mini Pro ISO records flawlessly tho.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

ishootyou.com

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 11:30 pm

UPDATE

I did a test tonight recording 5 video sources to an AMEI. REC button started to flash quickly after about 2 hours. Pressing stop did nothing, so I unplugged the drive (Samsung T5 500GB MacOS formatted) and plugged it into my Mac. All the material until the error occurred had been recorded, even the Resolve file was fine.

However, this MUST be addressed by BM. Has anyone actually tried to record 8 sources?
------------------------
ishootyou.com

rstreber

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 3:54 pm

So far, I've had no similar problems with the extreme Iso, although I haven't done any takes longer than about 20 minutes. I'm recording to a T7.
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

ishootyou.com

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 4:15 pm

rstreber wrote:So far, I've had no similar problems with the extreme Iso, although I haven't done any takes longer than about 20 minutes. I'm recording to a T7.

How many sources? If it's only 2 or 3 there isn't much data to be processed.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

rstreber

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 4:35 pm

I was doing 3 inputs plus separate program audio using each mic input as a balanced line input for L/R stereo off of my mixing console. I'll be doing some work soon that will have six video inputs, so we'll see how it goes...
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

redrob

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 6:26 pm

*Reliability* in the field is paramount to using this in production environments.

Backup/safety recordings should be for when the unexpected happens.

The actual device needs to be in the "functions as expected" category.

ishootyou.com

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 9:03 pm

redrob wrote:*Reliability* in the field is paramount to using this in production environments.

Backup/safety recordings should be for when the unexpected happens.

The actual device needs to be in the "functions as expected" category.

It is one of the main selling points to be able to record each input separately. I should not be asking too much. Looks like quickly tossing out new products to meet the new demands didn’t do BM any good. Me neither. „You get what you pay“ strikes it once more I guess.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

rstreber

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 9:53 pm

I'm always recording in-camera if only as a precautionary measure, because I'm nervous about the Atem's recording reliability. Even if I have no intention of using the braw footage, I just like the reassurance that there's some kind of redundancy in place.

Curious, how does the Atem handle dropped frames when doing iso recording? Is that something that could potentially cause a disruption?
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

ishootyou.com

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 5:50 am

rstreber wrote:I'm always recording in-camera if only as a precautionary measure, because I'm nervous about the Atem's recording reliability. Even if I have no intention of using the braw footage, I just like the reassurance that there's some kind of redundancy in place.

Curious, how does the Atem handle dropped frames when doing iso recording? Is that something that could potentially cause a disruption?

I need the Resolve project file for editing, so in camera recording isn’t helpful. Also, in many cases there is an additional feed from a computer (presentation) that also needs to be recorded.
As I said the ISO recording is a main selling point so it should work, dropped frames or not. There is no option how to handle dropped frames as in other BM products. Really a big bummer. I wonder what will happen if more users get to experience this.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

Jefbox

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 8:38 am

ishootyou.com wrote:..As I said the ISO recording is a main selling point so it should work, dropped frames or not. There is no option how to handle dropped frames as in other BM products. Really a big bummer. I wonder what will happen if more users get to experience this.

Exactly this, I've even returned my normal ATEM Mini Pro and bought the ISO version, specifically for that option. I've also experienced dropped frames in some of the ISO recordings.

pgdharman

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 1:09 pm

Similar issue for us this morning. ATEM Mini Extreme ISO with 8.6.1 firmware and HFS+ format (journaled) Samsung T5 500GB streaming to YouTube. Three sources: two cameras plus ProPresenter7.

The stream was ok, but 23 minutes in the recording stopped. The ISO REC section showed a 1/4 red arc, the REC button was red, and the disk light was green.

At the end of the stream, the STOP button did nothing, and the REC button stayed RED, so I unplugged the drive. The REC button stayed red, and the disk light went out (actually, slightly red due to the REC button being on).

The only way to clear the fault was to power cycle the ATEM (by unplugging and replugging the power - why is there no switch?!), at which point it was possible to record once more.

We normally do a post-production edit of the stream for retention. This week we will have to download and edit YouTube's recording.

It seems a number of people have experienced this issue in this forum/thread and in the Facebook groups. We never had these issues with the ATEM Mini Pro ISO.

My first AMEI had to be returned in the first week due to a hardware quality issue with with some of the buttons (which were jamming down, and not springing back up).

This is only my 2nd week with my replacement AMEI. If the stability cannot we improved, I will have to return this unit too, and go back to using the AMPI.

This has really undermined my confidence in BMD.
Last edited by pgdharman on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Foster

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 4:04 pm

do you mean APFS format?

this format is not supported

only
HFS+ (macOS extented)
or
EXFAT
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

pgdharman

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 4:20 pm

Mark Foster wrote:do you mean APFS format?

this format is not supported

only
HFS+ (macOS extented)
or
EXFAT

Yes, you are right, of course.
Sorry, rather tired.
I've edited my post.

ishootyou.com

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:29 pm

OK so here's what we found out after HOURS of testing.

1) BM support is not existent. Still no reaction to our inquiries both as "normal users" and retailer after TWO WEEKS.

2) There is a workaround. We found out that not only the ATEM Mini Pro ISO / Extreme don't like MacOS (Journaled) formatted drives. The same applies for the Hyperdeck Studio Mini and Video Assist 12G recorders. Recording works without problems so far with Samsung T5 drives and Sandisk Extreme SSDs that are ExFAT formatted. Wherever possible, format the drive with the device it's been used. Same applies for SD cards used with the Hyperdeck Studio Mini and Video Assist 12G models. Use ExFAT format and only use devices with a fast write speed. Sandisk SD cards work fine.

3) At least for the ATEM Mini series, it seems that the problem occurred since the last TWO firmware versions. We used MacOS (Journaled) formatted SSDs with the Atem Mini Pro ISO before without issues.

This information is based on our own tests and customer feedback.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

dougja

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 4:35 pm

pgdharman wrote:Similar issue for us this morning. ATEM Mini Extreme ISO with 8.6.1 firmware and HFS+ format (journaled) Samsung T5 500GB streaming to YouTube. Three sources: two cameras plus ProPresenter7.

The stream was ok, but 23 minutes in the recording stopped. The ISO REC section showed a 1/4 red arc, the REC button was red, and the disk light was green.

At the end of the stream, the STOP button did nothing, and the REC button stayed RED, so I unplugged the drive. The REC button stayed red, and the disk light went out (actually, slightly red due to the REC button being on).

The only way to clear the fault was to power cycle the ATEM (by unplugging and replugging the power - why is there no switch?!), at which point it was possible to record once more.

We normally do a post-production edit of the stream for retention. This week we will have to download and edit YouTube's recording.

It seems a number of people have experienced this issue in this forum/thread and in the Facebook groups. We never had these issues with the ATEM Mini Pro ISO.

My first AMEI had to be returned in the first week due to a hardware quality issue with with some of the buttons (which were jamming down, and not springing back up).

This is only my 2nd week with my replacement AMEI. If the stability cannot we improved, I will have to return this unit too, and go back to using the AMPI.

This has really undermined my confidence in BMD.

Have you (or anyone else) been able to resolve these issues? I had the exact same thing as pgdharman when using 2 brand new T5 1GB SSDs. Happened a few times over a few days, seemed to be more likely when there were more inputs to record and more movement happening in the video streams (i.e. higher data rate to record)

Not had to use it since - been hoping for a firmware update before I need to use it again, but no updates since early April :(

awfulTHEmovie

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 8:49 am

hello there,
we had the same issue twice in 3 months use on different atem iso hardware.
all two times the same error behaviour with the "not stoppable rec button" and broken recording after around 15minutes.

first setup:
atem iso mini, all inputs connected, exfat samsung t5 ssd
second setup:
atem iso extreme, 4 inputs connected, exfat samsung t5 ssd (different to the first)

luckily we had all attached cameras backuped with direct recording.
but the atem devices lost reliance completely to us now.
awful.at

rstreber

PostThu Jul 01, 2021 2:20 pm

I still have not seen this issue using T7s, but I have had random unreliable behavior with in-camera recording occasionally not triggering for reasons that I cannot figure out (as mentioned in another thread.) So, sadly, that's not necessarily a bullet-proof backup plan either. I guess you just can't expect everything in a product that does so much for so little :/
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

Jefbox

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 7:01 am

Yes, I still have this issue unfortunately.
I'm hoping they'll soon fix this or at least comment on this issue :(

dougja

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 9:37 am

FYI all, I just got this email!... (have not tried it yet)

Hi Doug,

Thank you for contacting Black Magic Support team,

Please accept our apologies for the delay in response. We are currently experiencing a high volume of requests and working at a reduced capacity due to the ongoing Covid 19 pandemic. We appreciate your patience and will do our best to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this behaviour, I'll do my best to assist you with this.

The best thing to try now would be updating to our new firmware 8.6.2 and see how you get along with this.

Kind regards,

Josh
ATEM Customer Support - Broadcast Support

eMilty

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 11:16 am

We've seen this problem reported here in this forum multiple times and it seems that HFS+ support is still buggy. Format your drive as ExFAT and it will most likely work flawless. I personally never had any issues with my ATEM Mini Extreme and a 1TB Samsung T5 drive formatted ExFAT.

R2theP

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 12:10 pm

I Also have experienced issues recording on the mini Extreme. Using a Samsung T5, ExFat formatted. Ran a test and recorded 5 hours without problems. Recorded during a live program and had 2 stops in 2,5 hours, completely at random.

Any thoughts, comments or tip?

Joe Womble

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 3:32 am

I was having all kinds of issues getting the recordings to work on my AMEI with 2TB T5 drive on Big Sur 11.5 with a souped up 16" MBP. Red Record light started flashing at 9 - 20 minutes in. Sometimes ISOs would continue to record, but Program always stopped. Put off upgrading to 8.6.2 because I use the Mix Effect app A LOT and it had not been fully blessed yet. Went ahead and upgraded to 8.6.2 and I'm currently testing....video and audio on all 8 sources. 6 hours 15 minutes and counting, no hiccups so far. 5 Hours left on the T5.

Terry Cox

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 4:58 pm

Using a new Extreme ISO here with a SanDisk Extreme drive. I have had recording failures on all sessions with both HFS+ and ExFAT formats and I also get regular failures in the webcam connection.

I got a generic 'reflash your firmware' response from support and then they stopped responding.

Looks like there is general hardware issue with all the ISO models.

Terry Cox

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 5:08 pm

I'm confused by this response, since 8.6.2 doesn't include a firmware release for ATEM Mini.

dougja wrote:FYI all, I just got this email!... (have not tried it yet)

Hi Doug,

Thank you for contacting Black Magic Support team,

Please accept our apologies for the delay in response. We are currently experiencing a high volume of requests and working at a reduced capacity due to the ongoing Covid 19 pandemic. We appreciate your patience and will do our best to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this behaviour, I'll do my best to assist you with this.

The best thing to try now would be updating to our new firmware 8.6.2 and see how you get along with this.

Kind regards,

Josh
ATEM Customer Support - Broadcast Support

dougja

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 2:51 pm

I've just attempted to update with the latest software and also realise there is no 8.6.2 firmware, so not a very helpful response from support on reflection. :/

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 10:26 am

dougja wrote:I've just attempted to update with the latest software and also realise there is no 8.6.2 firmware, so not a very helpful response from support on reflection. :/

8.6.2 and 8.6.3 are both in the support section of the website.. Common.. ;)

atem downloads.png
atem downloads.png (36.95 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

thomas.hoste

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 4:03 pm

Hi folks,

Joining this subject...problems at a customer! Yesterday I've send this to support:

We've installed a BM Iso Pro (4 inputs) and we have issues with recording to SSD. I've read hours on the internet already, I use a Samsung T5 ExFAT formatted, original usb-c-cable (no hub in between), firmware 8.6.1 (latest). We had a session with multicam iso recording (2 inputs): one GoPro 4K 50fps + one Panasonic PTZ 1080p50. The ATEM records in 1080p50. After about 1h the REC button starts flickering (dropped frames) and I had to hard-reset it. In another session without iso-recording (just the stream itself), my STOP-button didn't respond anymore (at the end of the show) and I saw activity on the SSD (writing?). I've waited 10minutes, pulled it out...and I miss the last 10min of the show.

Testing the ATEM at my company (with other cams, but hey...): I can't trigger the problem so far!! Doing some weird up- & downstream combination with a pic-in-pic and mix of two inputs...full ISO recording...no a glitch!
I have all spareparts myself (another ATEM, SSD, usb-c cables...) but how can I test accurate and fast?

Three thoughts:
- Can it help to lower the GoPro-input from 4k>1080p? Never had a problem with it on my own BM ATEM Extreme ISO...
- I always stop recording in the break of a show (first part was perfect!) and mostly I check the recording on my laptop. Then I attach the SSD back to the ATEM without rebooting it. Could that be an issue?
- I think the SSD of my customer came pre-formatted ExFAT. Could it help to reformat it myself? Of course I can do this now, but my customer really wants to know the exact reason.

Thanks a lot!

Thomas Hoste (Belgium)

redrob

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 5:52 pm

EVERYONE HERE -- Please Submit A Bug Report to BMD

This is a critical failure of a key function of the unit, and needs to be escalated within BMD.

Description: On the ATEM Extreme ISO, on certified/approved drives, recording to a connected drive (regardless of how it was formatted) abruptly stops in a non-recoverable way; when this happens, either the physical light blinks red, or the software control "recording amount" flashes red -- the stop button is non-responsive, and the only way to continue recording is to power cycle the unit, undesirable mid-stream.

Requested Solution Options (at least):
  • Add system logging for recording and streaming functions. When an error condition (handled or unhandled) occurs, this can help figure out the cause.
  • On recording, improve error handling -- clearly, some condition (or conditions) are causing the unit to behave in an undesirable way -- locking up and failing the recording feature. Improve the error handling so when it occurs the record function can at least be stopped and re-started.
  • Identify the bug which is causing this specific lock-up, and fix it.

Related Solution Request:
  • Improve error handling for streaming.
    Add system logging so when a cache-filling situation occurs, we can know what caused it
  • Fix the bug which is not well-handling the streaming condition that causes cache-fills to occur mid-stream. This is a prolific problem for many ppl, that caches are filling mid-stream while Internet speeds continue to be high, and other streaming tools are doing fine.
  • Improve support for the backup-streaming method (USB-connected Modem or wired Ethernet); when the cache fills beyond a certain user-settable threshold (e.g. 40%), auto-switch to the alternate connection method and continue streaming

thomas.hoste

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:52 pm

Hi folks,

Unfortunately we didn’t found a solution yet for our ATEM-problem. Here is a very short movie with the problems:

Remark: both camera’s (Panasonic PTZ & GoPro Hero 10) are set 1080p50 on hdmi-output. The ATEM records in 1080p50. So CPU-calculation due to synchronization shouldn’t be an issue?

What did we try?
- ATEM of the music club + SSD Samsung T5 (2TB) of the music club (formatted exFAT) = flickering REC button (movie part 1) >> we have footage on SSD after a hard reset of the ATEM
- ATEM of the music club + my own T5 (2TB) (also changed the usb-c cable) = REC button hangs (movie part 2) >> we have barely some footage on SSD after a hard reset of the ATEM, recordings lost
- my own ATEM extreme ISO + SSD Samsung T5 (2TB) of the music club = flickering REC button again >> we have footage after hard reset

So I don’t think it’s the ATEM of the club (my own ATEM has the same issue) and it’s not the SSD T5 (2TB) of the club (my own identical SSD has the same issue, both formatted).

I’ve bought my own ATEM + 2x SSD T7 (2TB) in March 2021: we never had an issue with a T7, despite all the bad comments on the BM-forum (till January 2021, maybe a firmware update solved this issue…didn’t found info about this online). Tomorrow we have another try and I’ll work with my Samsung T7 (2TB) on the ATEM of the club.

A colleague of mine told me to lower the fps from 50>25. This could theoretically avoid the problem, but I want movies in 50fps.

Three unsolved questions so far:
- why is a T7 not in this list: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59032 ? Why is a (slower) T5 still recommended? I have T5’s to connect to my BM Pocket Cinema 6k cam directly, for the ATEM I’ve always used a T7 myself.
- Why is a 2TB never listed? Benchmarks give +/- the same read/write results for a 1TB or a 2TB version, or am I wrong here? A T7 is much faster than a T5, that’s sure.
- why did the ATEM + SSD T5 of the club worked for hours (!!!) without a glitch at my company’s place?? Could this be related to 1) specific local camera input (??) or 2) local power grid failure (????).

I'll keep ya all posted!

Mark Foster

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 5:37 pm

the T7 has a different memory structure and should be avoided with video files!
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

thomas.hoste

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 10:06 am

Hi,
Thanks! The strange thing: yesterday we've recorded for hours (multicam ISO) on this setup with a ... T7 (non-touch) 2TB! No problem at all! I have the same experience on my ATEM Extreme ISO with T7 2TB (despite the negative advice, I know). Meanwhile I found a confirmation that this disk works fine since a firmware update: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=126512

So we've found a solution (yeah!). Maybe the 2TB version of the T5 is the problem (indeed, they recommend explicit a 1TB-version).

Next weekend we have another try with the T7, but I'm pretty confident about it.

Thomas

rstreber

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 4:12 pm

After another few months of reliable operation, I'm just reporting that I've had no issues with 1TB T7s formatted Mac OS with the AMEI recording long sessions. Usually recording isos and program four cameras, sometimes more. That's probably not helpful at all to those of you having problems, but just adding my experience to the record.
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

AllanRM

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 5:47 pm

FWIW:

I own a ATEM Mini Pro ISO and have been using it with a Samsung T5 for the last couple of months. This friday I was recording a livestream when the recording button started flashing red.

Since I hadn't experienced this before I started googling the issue which lead me to this thread.

First of all; I do recognize, that the title is regarding the Extreme and I have the Mini - so it's not the same device.

Just wanted to let you know, that up until this friday (Jan. 14th) I've been using the Mini with multiple HDMI inputs (main cam, display output from laptop, and two additional cams) when streaming for up to 2 hrs or more without any issues. Have been using the same Samsung T5.

Today I had to streams. The first had issues, the second did not. Same setup and same duration (30 mins or so). First recording is around 19 mins - the same as on friday - the second was completed without issues (32 mins I think it was).

I haven't tried doing some testing or troubleshooting, but I have been considering recording on seperate devices (Ninja 2) and in camera as well.

Though I don't offer any solution or deeper insights, I just wanted to went my frustrations with the random nature of this - at least to me - sudden issue.

I'll be looking into doing some more systematic testing perhaps report back with my findings.

AllanRM

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 6:30 pm

Update:

Used (macOS) terminal, did a 'zerodisk' and formatted the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the built in disk utility.

Recorded a 1 hr session without any issues - did keep a close eye on the record button though.

To be honest, I find it rather annoying that I have to be this anxious when doing livestreams or recordings from now on.

The reasoning behind doing a full disk erase / factory reset was; perhaps the drive didn't fully delete files to keep program/erases on a minimum. I have no deeper understanding than this, but that's what I thought perhaps provoked the drive to not perform as new.

Usually I just offload the files onto my NAS, delete them from the T5 and then just assume the drive was consisting of available space only.

If the drive doesn't delete the files fully (erase the cells, I assume), the drive then will have to erase the cells before it can write. Doing double duty essentially.

Having to record 5 video streams and two analogue audio streams puts to much stress on the drive and then it can't keep up.

I know it's not a very scientific method and I'll reserve my conclusions until I've done some more testing.

But no issues today.

I'm doing another full drive erase right now and will be doing another live session tomorrow. If that also goes without any issues I think I'm pretty sure I'm onto something.

Also. Didn't check the firmware version - was too much occupied with keeping an eye on the rec button.

Finally, I own two T5 1 TB drives, and am thinking about filling the other drive with dummy files, then delete them and do some testing. Then I have some sort of A and B situation with a fully reset drive and a pseudo empty drive (files deleted, but no zerodisk afterwards).

If that turns out to be a repeatable situation with the expected results I'll be doing full drive erases from time to time.

Just sucks, that it'll eat up the drive life span down the road. But I guess, that's another problem for another time.

PaulPhilpy

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 10:41 am

I had similar behaviour the other day: ISO recording of a 3 hour session failed.

Blackmagic ATEM Extreme ISO, Samsung T5 2TB SSD (Formatted to ExFat as provided by Samsung). ISO Recording to the T7, the second USB-C was feeding a Mac for live-streaming of the session. 8 inputs used, the unit is provided with additional under-base fans for assisted cooling.

Everything looked fine. The ISO REC was on screen in red, time was increasing, remaining space decreasing.. there was no sign at all that there was going to be a disastrous issue.

After the session, our producer pressed "stop", but the ATEM refused to stop. So we left it for another 15 minutes, as it looked like we'd need to turn off or un-plug, so our thinking was let's leave it to lay another few minutes to the SSD so that corruption would occur at the end of the file, away from our recording.

We tried to stop the recording using the software control also. Nothing would stop it. So we unplugged the Drive - the ATEM was STILL showing as recording even with no SSD attached.

When we looked at the files, only 20 minutes was recorded! The whole thing was a complete disaster. Much annoyance, much stress, irritated client, and sadness all round for the lost effort by all, this thing just cannot be trusted.

Has anyone found a workaround? Is there a particular thing one should be looking out for?

Thanks all!

Paul

ishootyou.com

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 6:53 pm

AllanRM wrote:Update:

The reasoning behind doing a full disk erase / factory reset was; perhaps the drive didn't fully delete files to keep program/erases on a minimum. I have no deeper understanding than this, but that's what I thought perhaps provoked the drive to not perform as new.

Usually I just offload the files onto my NAS, delete them from the T5 and then just assume the drive was consisting of available space only.

If the drive doesn't delete the files fully (erase the cells, I assume), the drive then will have to erase the cells before it can write. Doing double duty essentially.

This isn't how things work. By simply formatting or deleting files they are not erased from the disk but marked as "can be overwritten". There is no extra process necessary as you describe.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

ishootyou.com

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 6:57 pm

PaulPhilpy wrote:
Has anyone found a workaround? Is there a particular thing one should be looking out for?

Paul

No, it still happens every now and then. What's worse, BM support ignore the issue and pretend it's not there. We stopped using ISO recordings and go with the in-camera recordings and an ATOMOS Ninja on the PGM out instead. This is not a professional product, period.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

ishootyou.com

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 7:00 pm

redrob wrote:EVERYONE HERE -- Please Submit A Bug Report to BMD

BM support doesn't give $hit. We contacted them numerous times a a reseller (!) and after a few useless copy/paste answers they don't even respond anymore.

This were products to meet the Covid-19 demands and BM made a fortune on them. These were never meant to serve a professional market.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

RyanH-Tech

PostWed Mar 30, 2022 12:26 pm

PaulPhilpy wrote:I had similar behaviour the other day: ISO recording of a 3 hour session failed.

Blackmagic ATEM Extreme ISO, Samsung T5 2TB SSD (Formatted to ExFat as provided by Samsung). ISO Recording to the T7, the second USB-C was feeding a Mac for live-streaming of the session. 8 inputs used, the unit is provided with additional under-base fans for assisted cooling.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have gone back and forth with this issue, it's so unprofessional - however, we started using these drives and even though they are spec'd well, they aren't on Blackmagic's Support List. You'd think that even though the 1tb Samsung's are on there they would work, but apparently there is something strange in the way that it stores media and are therefore not compatible with the ATEM's (atm...)

You can see the full list of 'supported drives' here:

blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59032

I have had some good luck with the Lacie Portable SSD's, however are more expensive and did get the error once with them.

Make sure you report the error to Blackmagic as it's a real concern and a show breaker.

Regards,

eMilty

PostWed Mar 30, 2022 12:49 pm

ishootyou.com wrote:This were products to meet the Covid-19 demands and BM made a fortune on them. These were never meant to serve a professional market.

This has nothing to do with "professional". The product simply does not deliver what is being promised. They promise ISO recording of all inputs. The website or manual does not mention any maximum recording time or that recordings may fail. If this was an Apple product there would definitly already be a class action lawsuite in the US.

ishootyou.com

PostWed Mar 30, 2022 12:52 pm

eMilty wrote:
ishootyou.com wrote:This were products to meet the Covid-19 demands and BM made a fortune on them. These were never meant to serve a professional market.

This has nothing to do with "professional". The product simply does not deliver what is being promised. They promise ISO recording of all inputs. The website or manual does not mention any maximum recording time or that recordings may fail. If this was an Apple product there would definitly already be a class action lawsuite in the US.

Totally agree. The fact that there never has been mention by BM leave alone a patch makes it clear that it must be hardware related. Devices sent in for repair are returned with "no fault found".
------------------------
ishootyou.com

PedanticDan

PostMon Apr 18, 2022 4:55 am

I recently upgrade from an ATEM Mini PRO ISO to an Extreme ISO.

I few minutes ago, I was trying to edit the first recording I made with the Extreme model. The recording was around five and half minutes, but is unusable. I had two video sources, a camcorder and the HDMI-out from my M1 MBP.

I'll try reformatting my T5, but I never had a problem with any recoding down with the PRO ISO model.

PedanticDan

PostWed Apr 20, 2022 2:24 am

The first surprise was that I found that the SSD was already formatted exfat.

The second was that files on the SSD were fine. My suspicion is that the files were damage in transit by FileZilla. I changed file transfer default mode from auto to binary, and files transferred fine.

tjp740

PostMon Apr 25, 2022 4:49 pm

Same frustrating problem here. Support refuses to acknowledge that there is any problem at all, even when I give them very specific instructions for how to reproduce the error on my unit.

Does anyone have any recommendations for ISO recording solutions that are anywhere near the price point of the Extreme ISO?

Avi Sliman

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 8:43 pm

CHECK YOUR DISK SPACE TO SEE HOW FULL IT IS.
I had a Huge event yesterday.
5 hours streaming and recording 6 Inputs using Atem Extreme pro ISO.
ALL looked perfect throughout the event and I even stoped the recording and restarted it during the brake.
When I got home I discovered that the recording folder does not even exist on my 1TB T5 SDD (which is Formatted as EX FAT).
I looked if the data is there by checking the disk remaining space and I discovered that the disk is almost full But still I couldn't see the media.

I then preformed a disk recovery using 2 different softwares and I could Thankfully recover the media from yesterday.
It was actually there on the disk so the software didn't have a hard job...
Still in recovery but it already looks very promising as the video files which was already recovered and playable and complete.

Nerve braking situation which I would love to prevent on my next job.

PJJPtx

PostThu Jun 16, 2022 10:58 pm

I had mp4 files that I could not open in VLC on Mac. I had originally downloaded via FTP. I connected the drive to my Mac via USB-C and they work fine. In my case, it appears that FTP of larger files is the issue.

I am using AMEI

zampaz

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 7:35 am

Hi,
Same issue for me some weeks ago with Atem mini extreme iso latest firwmare 8.6.1 and software 8.6.4
25p recording format
2 direct hdmi input, program and iso recording with a Samsung 1 TB T5 ExFat formatted
1 usb for recording on Disk the other usb to a pc for streaming with OBS
1h.30 minutes event and at the end...Recording not stoppable. no with button and no with pc based app.
Restarted the atem after waiting 15 min.
In the end i saved only 24 min of the show...in camera recording saved from problems. :cry:

So i decided to do some test recording all inputs and iso and i found the Samsung T5 -1TB is probaby not fast enough ( 450-500 MB/sec writing speed) for long recording.

No problem with the Sandisk Extreme portable 1TB SSD. (rated with 1000 MB/sec write speed)

Hope helps.
Cris

Timmmy

PostMon Aug 14, 2023 9:20 pm

Resurrecting this thread...

I've just had this happen with two separate devices and configurations and wondering if there's a fix, software update, etc I should do?

ATEM Extreme ISO Recording 4 inputs, Program at Vimeo Streaming Low setting on a SanDisk Drive 4TB 1050 MB/s SDPS11A-004T-GBANB

And

ATEM SDI Extreme ISO Recording the same 4 inputs at Vimeo Streaming High setting on a SanDisk 4TB Extreme Pro 2000 MB/s SDSSDE81-4T00-G25

Same show, happened to each device separately about an hour apart with otherwise no changes to the setup.

Blackmagic Hardware? Firmware? Same issues above where only a hard power cycle of the ATEM did anything.
Next

Return to Live Production