UpDownCross HD converter SD output recognized as 4:3

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

cvmarty

UpDownCross HD converter SD output recognized as 4:3

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 10:00 pm

Hi guys,

So I am giving the output of my 1080i50 of my mini monitor via SDI to my Mini UpDownCross HD to down convert it to 576i so i can send it for broadcast. The downconverted picture is very good, but monitors recognize it as 4:3 and not 16:9. The 576i SD output though of a friends tricaster is automatically recognized by monitors as 16:9. What am I missing? Is there any metadata that must be embeded to the signal so it can be recognized as 16:9? This is a signal that will be widely spread through a modulator to a campus, where I cannot tell people to force their tv sets aspect specifically to 16:9 if they are in auto. The HD signal is recognized without problems.

Best regards!

cvmarty

Re: UpDownCross HD converter SD output recognized as 4:3

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 10:19 pm

Ok,

it looks like I am going to answer my own question. Please verify this if possible.
It all depends on the WSS and AFD signal that is added to the output video, that describes what kind of video is this so the decoder/television can automatically adjust to it. WSS has a bit that is added to the SD video signal telling it is 16:9 or 4:3.

Unfortunately there is no option for this in the UpDownCross HD converter but there is in the Terranex converters. You must have a Terranex converter that inserts WSS (Wide Signaling) data into the video.

eMilty

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 6:22 am

You can change the aspect ratio of the SD output only through the Blackmagic Converters Setup utility (free download from their website). Download the utility, connect the device via USB and you can change it. It will remember the setting even after powering it off.

Howard Roll

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 3:03 pm

Do you mean 16:9 letterbox or 16:9 anamorphic? Both formats are 720x576 pixels, with different PARs (pixel aspect ratos). If one is going back out to 4:3 displays select letterbox, for 16:9 displays use anamorphic.

Good Luck

cvmarty

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 5:04 pm

Hi again guys!
I posted a reply to myself but never got published. Don't know why...

After some research I found the root of the problem. Yes, I changed the output to 16:9 from the USB settings of the converter but this did not do the trick. The problem was not the final video output, but that the tv sets set to auto aspect ratio, would recognize the SD signal as 4:3 and squash it.

Its all about an embeded signal in the video called WSS (Wide Screen Signaling). This signal is not added by the UpDownCross converter, but I found out that the Terranex converter adds this signal to the video, so it can be recognized as 16:9 to the TV Sets. So I guess I will have to move to to Terranex AV and put aside UpDownCross HD converter for some other task in the future.

Thank you for your responses! :)

Return to Live Production