Streamus Interuptus

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jim Simon

Streamus Interuptus

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 5:00 pm

I've been using the Mini Pro for a few months now, largely with great success. But twice I've encountered an issue I don't know how to explain, or solve.

At a facility for an upcoming event, the Mini Pro seems able to connect to the network just fine, but it cannot reach the streaming destination.

Checking that same Ethernet jack (and using the same sable) with a computer, there are no logins or passwords required. The Laptop connects to the Internet without issue. Speedtest reports 30 Mb/s upload. It also streams to the same destination through OBS just fine.

So what might cause the Mini Pro to fail where the Laptop works? I don't get it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

David_Anderson

Re: Streamus Interuptus

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 11:28 pm

Look at what the primary and secondary DNS servers are on the laptop. The AMP is probably seeing the primary DNS which may not be able to resolve to the streaming host.

Bring a 30.00 router with you and run your own network and then NAT to the host network.

Best,

David

Jim Simon wrote:I've been using the Mini Pro for a few months now, largely with great success. But twice I've encountered an issue I don't know how to explain, or solve.

At a facility for an upcoming event, the Mini Pro seems able to connect to the network just fine, but it cannot reach the streaming destination.

Checking that same Ethernet jack (and using the same sable) with a computer, there are no logins or passwords required. The Laptop connects to the Internet without issue. Speedtest reports 30 Mb/s upload. It also streams to the same destination through OBS just fine.

So what might cause the Mini Pro to fail where the Laptop works? I don't get it.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 1:02 pm

That's a bit over my head. I'll take that to the IT guy. Thanks, David.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 06, 2021 9:08 pm

I had the chance to test this today, and it didn't change anything. :cry:

Anyone else have any ideas why the ATEM's can't stream while all other Internet activity works just fine?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Pedro Ruiz Mateos

PostThu May 06, 2021 10:16 pm

I have stopped using my equipment, until they are reliable again, it is not reliable for me, atem mini pro, atem mini extreme and web presenter hd, they are in quarantine :evil:
Pedro Ruiz Mateos
ATEM Constellation 8k, 2M/E, HD.
ATEM Studio HD, ATEM mini, mini Extreme.
2 Ursa Brodcast G2, 1 Ursa Brodcast G1, 6 Studio 4K PRO, 6 Studio HD, 4 Micro Studio 4k G1 & G2, etc.

MambaFiber.com

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:04 am

BMD design strikes again. The Mini's have a hard coded DNS server address, 8.8.8.8 (google DNS) which in their opinion should always work. However many IT departments in locking down their network block this and a list of other common DNS servers, so that they can route you through their DNS services (probably for content filtering purposes).

Your laptop gets all of its IP info from the DHCP server, which includes the correct DNS info and will have no problem accessing the web. Since the Mini's are hardcoded they only get an IP and gateway, but not the DNS and then cannot resolve your streaming destination. If you stream to an IP address and not a name this won't be a problem, but how often does that ever happen?

They need to reconsider this approach, but as usual waiting for BMD "upgrades" I wouldn't hold my breath...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Jim Simon

PostSat May 08, 2021 8:15 pm

That is useful information, Greg. Thank you.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to Live Production