Mac Mini M1 on Atem Mini Extreme ISO - USB C -> HDMI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tintifax78

Mac Mini M1 on Atem Mini Extreme ISO - USB C -> HDMI

PostSat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm

Hi all!

I have troubles with my Mac Mini M1 connected via an USB-C HDMI Aapter to the Mini Extreme.
When I connect the HDMI to the Mini Extreme it works fine for about 20 minutes. After that the Picture flickers once, comes back shortly to get black without coming on again. The MAC Mini is still in „2 Monitor Mode“ - i can move the mouse over to the 2nd Screen (the Mini Extreme) and in the Monitor Settings there are still 2 Monitors visable. Reconnect the HDMI cable doesn‘t help - only reconnect the USB-C on the MAC Mini brings back the Connection.
If i change the settings for the BMD Screen on the Mac Mini (Resolution or fps) the Connection works for another 20 minutes.

I tried the same Setup on a Mini Pro ISO (Same Adapter, Same HDMI Cable) without any Problems.

Has anyone an Idea, whats could be wrong in my Setup?

Thanks!

Best regards
Gery

Tintifax78

Re: Mac Mini M1 on Atem Mini Extreme ISO - USB C -> HDMI

PostFri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm

Hi, me again!

In the meantime I tried a litte bit.
What I actually see is that the Mac Mini seems to cause this issue.
When I put a BM Converter (in my case the BiDirectional 3G) between the Mac Mini and the ATEm Mini Extrem the problem shows up though, but not so extrem. This means, the Signal is dropping still drops, but only for a few frames. A complete Black Out doesn't happen any more. But this solution is far from satisfactory.
Especially this happens also during use (e.g PowerPoint) So it can be a Problem with Screen Saver, wich I turned off first of all.

Can anybody help? Does anybody has the same problems?
Thank you!

greetings
Gery

adamtow

PostFri May 07, 2021 7:28 pm

What happens if you plug in an HDMI cable into the HDMI out port of the Mac mini instead of using a USB-C to HDMI adapter?
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

Tintifax78

PostSun May 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi Adamtow!

Thanks for your reply!
I´ve tried this in the meantime. It seams, that there are no issues when i connect the HDMI Out from the Mac Mini to the Atem Extreme.
But one reason for the Mac Mini was the possibility to split both Monitors like i need them. I do a lot of PowerPoint Presentations and split both Monitor Outs from the Mac Mini to get the Presenter View of PP to a Monitor on Stage as well.

The Internet is full of problems with the new Mac Mini M1 and USB-C to HDMI.
I contact my Mac Dealer and ask if he has an solution for this

Thanks!

Return to Live Production