Serious stability issues with ATEM Mini Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

singingzoologist

Serious stability issues with ATEM Mini Pro

PostMon May 03, 2021 4:21 pm

First, thanks, kind soul, for taking a moment to help out a fellow streamer!

I get paid pretty well to do a live stream, so it really sucks when the sound is garbled and/or the video goes out. Both just happened to me.

Problem 1:
My video feed just went completely black at the end of a stream (has happened a couple other times). Could this be a temperature thing? Is there another explanation? I unplugged the ATEM and plugged it back in and all was back to normal, but that's not something you want to do while on a stream. Perhaps there's another way to reset the ATEM?

Problem 2:
Sound was garbled beyond recognition on Zoom (had selected "use original sound" which bypasses Zoom's signal processing). When I unselected "use original sound" and brought the level down, it got a bit better but it was not the quality that we expect from our ATEMs.

I THINK I just need to keep the output from hitting red at ALL. As a musician, I would normally go for hitting red a bit (still below 0dB) when I'm really cranking it, but I think it's different with this unit and/or with live streaming. Any input on this? I've also had the sound just go out too. That's a big deal.

These issues are primarily recent developments, after adding a StreamDeck and the Companion app, which allows me to more easily activate macros. Could that be the root cause? FWIW, this combo (StreamDeck and Companion) promises a lot but they are prone to sudden, mysterious failure. They will be working fine and then just stop about 50% of the time.

Here's my setup:
ATEM Mini Pro, Win10 laptop, ethernet connection, using USB to connect ATEM as a webcam, on Zoom

Thanks again, I'm always amazed a people's generosity with their knowledge on these forums!
Let me know if you need more.
Lucas Miller
www.singingzoologist.com
Youtube.com/user/biorhythms
ATEM Mini Pro

Return to Live Production