MixEffect app for controlling ATEM switchers on iOS & iPads

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

adamtow

MixEffect app for controlling ATEM switchers on iOS & iPads

PostFri May 07, 2021 12:24 pm

My app, MixEffect, for controlling Blackmagic Design ATEM switchers on iOS and iPadOS is now available on the App Store! Thanks to everyone who has been beta testing this over the past two months.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mixeffect/id1555812675

If this is the first time you're hearing of MixEffect, the app functions as a near-complete replacement for the ATEM Software Control app on macOS and Windows. It features a scalable interface for running on small screen iPhones and iPod touches to big screened iPad Pros.

On top of this, MixEffect adds a number of features that are geared toward working pros:

- SuperSource: Visually create, edit, save, and share presets. Enjoy automatic and animated transitions from one SuperSource to another. No macros needed!
- Macros: colors, icons, and filtering.
- Streaming: Easy editing of your streaming services and servers. Mark your favorite servers and streaming profiles. Import and Export the Streaming.xml file for ATEM switchers.
- Automation: Control your switching using Siri and Shortcuts.

The app is free to download and comes with a 30-day trial of MixEffect Pro. The basic version allows you to change program/preview, set transitions, perform cut/auto, and use the fader bar. Go Pro with a single in-app purchase of $49.99 to access Macros, Audio, SuperSource, Streaming, DSK, USK, Automations via Siri and Shortcuts, and more.

I am constantly updating the app and a number of features lined up for the next release, including Companion / Stream Deck support.

More information can be found on the MixEffect website: https://mixeffect.app

Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

Mark Foster

Re: MixEffect app for controlling ATEM switchers on iOS & iP

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:23 pm

companion / stream deck support are very good news ; -)
bought it yesterday, the pro version after beta testing
Last edited by Mark Foster on Fri May 07, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Andy Coulthurst

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Looking really nice - great to see , even Constellation support!. Looking very much like I'll buy ( after about 3 minutes of testing ).
Good Job!

adamtow

PostFri May 07, 2021 7:16 pm

Andy Coulthurst wrote:Looking really nice - great to see , even Constellation support!. Looking very much like I'll buy ( after about 3 minutes of testing ).
Good Job!

Thank you! I don't have a Constellation, so if you find some oddities, please let me know!
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

adamtow

PostFri May 07, 2021 7:18 pm

Mark Foster wrote:companion / stream deck support are very good news ; -)
bought it yesterday, the pro version after beta testing

Thanks! I have preliminary documentation on how Companion/OSC/Stream Deck support will work with MixEffect here:

https://mixeffect.app/docs/osc

You'll have to use the generic-osc module for now until I or someone in the Companion community writes up a proper module.

dclaar

PostMon May 31, 2021 12:31 am

Can this be used in conjunction with the mac app? For example, the mac person controlling the cameras and the iPad person controlling audio?

Linden deCarmo

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Hi Adam,

From what I've read, the ATEM protocol is very timing sensitive and can result in orphaned sessions if too many packets are dropped. I've tested other ATEM iOS apps using WiFi in the past and this has been very problematic. How reliable is MixEffect when used over WiFi? Do you suggest the use of wired connection (lightning to ethernet etc.) with MixEffect?

adamtow

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Linden deCarmo wrote:Hi Adam,

From what I've read, the ATEM protocol is very timing sensitive and can result in orphaned sessions if too many packets are dropped. I've tested other ATEM iOS apps using WiFi in the past and this has been very problematic. How reliable is MixEffect when used over WiFi? Do you suggest the use of wired connection (lightning to ethernet etc.) with MixEffect?

You're going to get the best results with Ethernet, but I routinely use the app over Wi-Fi with my iPhone 11 Pro Max with no problems. My iPad Pro 12.9" (2018) experiences more disconnects over Wi-Fi, but I think that's more to do with the iPad's hardware (numerous reports of flaky Wi-Fi on that model). A restart of my iPad (and sometimes the switcher too) typically resolves this problem.

MixEffect is free to download, and it allows connecting and basic switching. So, you can test the app out with your switchers before deciding to go Pro.

adamtow

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 6:04 pm

dclaar wrote:Can this be used in conjunction with the mac app? For example, the mac person controlling the cameras and the iPad person controlling audio?

Late reply, but yes, one person can be using the ATEM Software Control app on the Mac, and another person can be using MixEffect from the iPad at the same time. There's generally a limit of 5 controllers that can be connected to an ATEM switcher simultaneously.

SchwobaDubbidu

PostTue Apr 12, 2022 8:15 am

I tried this app live yesterday.

On the ATEM Mini series, we probably all miss the DSK button and a control of the stills media player. This app could help. So I created some macros to fire them from the app.

However, when I was live, the app reacted slow, or not at all, to my macro „button“ pushes. Is my iPad crap, or is it my network, or is there an issue with the app?

Another thing is: Actually I would be happy with a reliable prev/next function for the stills player, which it apparently doesn't have, and a DSK button. Any ideas on that?

I think the app can be a very good alternative to the StreamDeck/Companion solution which requires a PC or Mac, and since you don't want to pile these up in a small setip, you'd use only one of those and if that crashed, you'd be in trouble/out of control…

dexter_ck

PostWed Apr 13, 2022 8:28 am

SchwobaDubbidu wrote:I think the app can be a very good alternative to the StreamDeck/Companion solution which requires a PC or Mac, and since you don't want to pile these up in a small setip, you'd use only one of those and if that crashed, you'd be in trouble/out of control…

You can install Companion on Raspberry, which is small enough, and can be mounted in case permanently.

adamtow

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 1:02 pm

MixEffect developer here:

What kind of iPad do you have? Running macros from the app shouldn’t be slow at all.

There is a media panel that you can add to your switcher pages that displays a next/prev button.

SchwobaDubbidu wrote:I tried this app live yesterday.

On the ATEM Mini series, we probably all miss the DSK button and a control of the stills media player. This app could help. So I created some macros to fire them from the app.

However, when I was live, the app reacted slow, or not at all, to my macro „button“ pushes. Is my iPad crap, or is it my network, or is there an issue with the app?

Another thing is: Actually I would be happy with a reliable prev/next function for the stills player, which it apparently doesn't have, and a DSK button. Any ideas on that?

I think the app can be a very good alternative to the StreamDeck/Companion solution which requires a PC or Mac, and since you don't want to pile these up in a small setip, you'd use only one of those and if that crashed, you'd be in trouble/out of control…

jim.chase

PostMon Dec 19, 2022 8:36 pm

I have a ATEm 4 M/E Constellation HD. The ability to use SS1 or SS2 from the MixEffect interface is great but how do I get my streamdeck to use SS2? I don't see an option to chose which supersource a button uses in Companion.

adamtow

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 4:21 am

jim.chase wrote:I have a ATEm 4 M/E Constellation HD. The ability to use SS1 or SS2 from the MixEffect interface is great but how do I get my streamdeck to use SS2? I don't see an option to chose which supersource a button uses in Companion.

The MixEffect Module for Companion should let you choose the SuperSource to use in the drop-down menu. Make sure the switcher is set to the Constellation 4 M/E in the Connection tab.

Return to Live Production