ATEM Mini Pro USB-C Audio output is suddenly 30dB too hot

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

crazzell

ATEM Mini Pro USB-C Audio output is suddenly 30dB too hot

PostSun May 09, 2021 6:28 am

Hi, first time posting here, and I have an issue for which help would be appreciated...

I've been using an ATEM Mini Pro in a live production environment successfully for a couple of months, and having been using the line-level mode of the microphone inputs to take take a broadcast mix stereo feed from the venue's mixer into the live stream. I've made double sure the 3.5mm microphone jacks are set to accept line-level signals, and indeed the input level shown on the multview monitor confirms that the input is at the desired (non-clipping) level, and that the ATEM thinks the output level is also at the desired level with acceptable headroom below 0dBFS.

The problem has now arisen that the Windows PC taking the ATEM input via USB-C sees a signal at that shows as -20dBFS on the PGM levels bar graph on the multi-view monitor as being hard into clipping and I need to turn the Fairlight mixer's output program down by about 30dB to get the digital audio level seen by the PC low enough to be usable.

So to summarize, -12dBFS at the line input to the ATEM, has to be turned down by 30dB in the Fairlight output level controls of the ATEM to appear at -6dBFS seen by the PC (measured using multiple clients, such a Reaper, ProPresenter, vMix). If I keep the PGM audio at its usual levels, i.e., without this heavy attenuation in the Fairlight mixer tab, then the sound is hopelessly distorted in any application that accepts audio from the ATEM's USB-C input. It seem that there is suddenly 36 dB of digital gain that wasn't there the week before!

The ATEM Mini is at version 8.6.1 and has been working without issues until just this evening, when things when horribly wrong as we were getting ready to go live.

I will take my MacBook back to the venue and check whether I see the same issue with a different computer taking the USB-C Audio and Video. It could be that Windows has been updated on the machine causing the audio component of UVC video sources to be word-misaligned or something like that. It is hard to imagine the ATEM itself doing this, but I will have to entertain that possibility until I swap computers as a diagnostic.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? Can you suggest any trouble-shooting tips or things I can try to help resolve it?

Thanks in advance,

Charles Razzell.

Return to Live Production