consensus on RELIABLE SSD for Mini Extreme ISO?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rstreber

consensus on RELIABLE SSD for Mini Extreme ISO?

PostSun May 09, 2021 3:12 pm

This question seems to come up so often with lots of different and often conflicting user reports, but it would be great to try to build up some kind of consensus as to which SSDs are working most reliably with the Mini Extreme ISO, including info like what format, how many inputs recorded successfully for how long, etc.

I bring this up because I'd been having no issues using a 1TB Samsung T7 (formatted Mac OS Extended) for a couple of months now. However, I had one recent project where I discovered upon opening it in Resolve that there were random dropped frames across all inputs. I was able to work around the problem, but it was alarming.

Reading various user reports for most of the SSDs on the BM approved list, I've seen everything from "this drive won't record for more than 10 seconds" to no issues encountered. it would be great to hear from users here both positive and negative experiences. Or maybe a sticky could be made or this subject could be added to the FAQ?
Last edited by rstreber on Mon May 10, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

rstreber

Re: consensus on RELIABLE SSD for Mini Extreme ISO?

PostMon May 10, 2021 3:14 pm

I guess a follow up question is are there any drives rated for 1k mb/s read-write speeds that can be recommended (besides the T7)? Or should we just stick with T5s and the like? For example, has anyone here had experience with Sandisk Extreme Pros or Extreme V2s?
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

terrproductions

PostTue May 25, 2021 7:59 pm

I bought a 2TB drive to use on a mini extreme iso, it worked at home for the 10 mins I tested it. However, when I got to the shoot it refused to work. I tried formatting it, and everything and just couldn't get it to work. I'm wondering if it has to do with the cache. If I power up and record it seems to be fine but if it's been on for a while maybe it doesn't work. I'm going to test this further.

Also when I started researching why it's not working, it turns out the 2TB version is not compatible with the devices. I'm torn between returning it to the shop and swapping it for a 1TB to be safe.

Also, I partitioned it down to 1TB and got a 25min test done at home. I'm so confused. I had it in exfat every time.

rstreber

PostTue May 25, 2021 10:40 pm

What brand? What model? Are you talking about a Samsung T7, or something else?
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

Return to Live Production