ATEM Mini ISO causes Zoom to run poorly

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mpowers873

ATEM Mini ISO causes Zoom to run poorly

PostTue May 11, 2021 7:13 pm

If I run the USB out of the ISO to the computer and then launch Zoom, Zoom runs like a dog. Everything is slowed down to painful levels. The video looks good, but Zoom doesn't respond well to any mouse clicks i.e. change view etc. There are huge pauses and then Zoom might respond.

However, if I run the HDMI out of the ISO through a device to change it to USB, Zoom responds perfectly. I'm using an av.io from Epiphan.

I ran the ISO into two different computers and launched zoom. Both computers experience the same slow Zoom responses. So the problem is with the ISO. I recorded from the USB port into an SSD and found the video to be perfect on all four cameras. So the port is working. But not properly with Zoom.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Mike Powers

tkerby

Re: ATEM Mini ISO causes Zoom to run poorly

PostThu May 13, 2021 7:54 pm

I've had similar problems with other cameras in the past and Zoom. Key things to check:

1 - Original Ratio and HD checked to match native output of camera/ATEM so Zoom isn't scaling
2 - Turn off Zoom mirroring (although it wont make much difference)
3 - Ensure touch up appearance is off in Zoom for the camera
4 - In the advanced settings, turn off denoise
5 - In the advanced settings, turn on hardware acceleration

mpowers873

Re: ATEM Mini ISO causes Zoom to run poorly

PostSat May 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Thanks tkerby - I will check my settings on Zoom as you suggest. But I don't think the setttings are the problem. As soon as Zoom begins, I can click on settings or view and there's a 5 sec lag before Zoom responds to these clicks. I always think of hardware as the problem last. But that's where I'm beginning to go. The USB out works fine for recording to an SSD from the ISO. But when I connect the USB out to the computer so Zoom sees it as a web cam, the problems begin and stay. Zoom does not respond to mouse clicks as it should. There's a huge lag. Even trying to exit the meeting lags noticeably.

I'll call tech support at Black Magic. Unfortunately the tendency in the industry is for the hardware guys to say it's a software problem and vice versa.

The problem manifests itself on all my computers i.e. zoom runs like a dog when the ISO is seen as the web cam. Still searching for a solution.

Mike

Return to Live Production