ATEM mini pro will not stream to YouTube. OBS will

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rituraj_tiwari

ATEM mini pro will not stream to YouTube. OBS will

PostTue May 11, 2021 10:23 pm

Folks: Just got my brand new ATEM mini pro and started setting things up. Live stream to YouTube didn't work. Contacted support and they essentially washed their hands off of this saying "We unfortuatenly, do not provide any networking guidance" and directed me here. Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Here is my setup process:
  • Connected ATEM to the same wired ethernet network as the laptop
  • Installed ATEM software control application
  • Launched ATEM Setup. Updated firmware to latest
  • Launched ATEM Setup, ensure ATEM was on DHCP
  • Copied the YouTube streaming key and followed live stream setup steps.
  • When I go On Air, the light blinks red and soon the cache is full. YouTube shows no data.
Debugging with alternative setup:
  • Installed the OBS application.
  • Connected ATEM Pro to laptop via USB
  • Added the ATEM as a video capture device in OBS
  • Created stream using the key
  • Started the stream
  • Stream shows up on YouTube
The laptop and hence OBS are on the same network as ATEM pro. This is clearly an issue with ATEM's live streaming capabilities. Am I missing something obvious?
Last edited by rituraj_tiwari on Tue May 18, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rituraj_tiwari

Re: ATEM mini pro will not stream to YouTube. OBD will

PostWed May 12, 2021 6:17 pm

After further debugging, convinced that ethernet capabilities of the ATEM Mini Pro are junk. Spent an hour with a buddy who is a networking genius. Connected several different devices upstream of the ATEM to try and get some diagnostics. Some takeaways:
  • The device has ZERO network diagnostic abilities. You have to fumble around outside the device to figure out what is happening. There are no logs or anything of that nature on the device that can tell you what is going wrong.
  • The technical support team will not touch anything related to networking with a 10 foot pole. The last guy I spoke to, when offered the above diagnostics simply said: "maybe there is something in your routing that is blocking the ATEM". He did not offer any options on what sort of blocking could exist. My network is simple: Ethernet switch that connects to an ISP-provided router which goes to the Internet via Gigabit fiber.
  • ATEM did not negotiate DHCP. It did not show up in the list of DHCP clients on my router.
  • When I assigned it a static IP, it still could not stream up to YouTube.
  • Network-based (meaning non-USB) control of the device worked in all instances via ATEM software control application
  • Packet capture shows ATEM and the software application basically communicating via LAN broadcast. ATEM simply assumes an IP address.
  • One config worked briefly: I shared by Wifi network via my Thuderbolt display's ethernet adapter. This allowed ATEM to go online briefly. This option stopped working on future tries.

I am disappointed that such a promising device fails on such a basic capability.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 13, 2021 3:39 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rituraj_tiwari

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:27 pm

Thanks Jim. Related, perhaps in terms of symptoms. The proposed solution of DNS does not apply. This was in my home network and I have confirmed Google DNS is available.

ATEM's networking stack is garbage, diagnostic abilities non-existent and technical support woefully unaware of this key function in the era of network streaming. I returned my device for a full refund and ran the show with OBS software instead.

Return to Live Production