ATEM Mini as a remote viewing solution

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

machone

ATEM Mini as a remote viewing solution

PostThu May 13, 2021 5:17 am

Hi all,

We're considering the ATEM Mini as a remote viewing solution as part of a WFH initiative.
Bear with me as I need to explain the situation a bit.

We've got a studio doing stop-motion photography, compiling the images eventually into video.
The owner/director of the studio lives far away and would like a way to see what her photographers are seeing.

In the studio, they run mostly Canon 5D Mk II's. They are connected to iMacs running Dragon Frame to capture images, eventually the images are pushed into After Effects and compiled into video, then uploaded to an onsite NAS, and mirrored offsite.

The idea right now is roughly:

1. Run wireless HDMI transmitters out of each computer. There can be up to 4x computers capturing 4x separate scenes at any given time.

2. On the receiver end, run into an ATEM Mini.

3. Output from the ATEM Mini into a dedicated streaming rig, where we'll have to have a capture card and OBS. Stream out.

4. Have a dedicated site-to-site VPN running to the owner/director's offsite location.

This means that the owner/director can control which camera she's looking at through the ATEM software.
And she would do the looking by going to the OBS live stream URL.

I was hoping the ATEM would let me bypass step #3, however it doesn't seem like that's the case.
So:

Question 1: is it possible to bypass step #3 above?
Question 2: if not, assuming we are getting a 1080p image, what kind of specs would be needed for a dedicated rig to stream out at 1080p at say, 30fps?

Jim Simon

Re: ATEM Mini as a remote viewing solution

PostThu May 13, 2021 3:26 pm

The Mini Pro and Extreme models can stream directly, no need for OBS.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

machone

PostThu May 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The Mini Pro and Extreme models can stream directly, no need for OBS.

But I think they stream directly only to specific services, correct? E.g. YouTube Live/Twitch. Prefer to avoid those services if possible. If the ATEM Mini Pro can stream locally and be accessed on a local URL, that would be ideal.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat May 15, 2021 6:53 am

You can grab directly the usb out webcam on camera obs and stream like you want. You connect at same time Ethernet of atem and assign a static ip to allow the boss to install atem panel and change camera (computer) from remote

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Sid Jervis

PostSat May 15, 2021 10:59 am

This may work for you, but with a mini it is a many to one solution, only the output of the mini gets streamed.
It should be possible to use an ATEM extreme to output its multi view page to the bridge.

ATEM Streaming Bridge is a video converter that lets you receive a H.264 stream from any ATEM Mini Pro and convert it back to SDI and HDMI video. This means you can send video to remote locations around your local Ethernet network, or via the internet globally.

On the BM site at /ca/products/atemmini/techspecs/W-APS-16

Trevor Asquerthian

PostSun May 16, 2021 6:55 am

machone wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:The Mini Pro and Extreme models can stream directly, no need for OBS.

But I think they stream directly only to specific services, correct? E.g. YouTube Live/Twitch. Prefer to avoid those services if possible. If the ATEM Mini Pro can stream locally and be accessed on a local URL, that would be ideal.

There's another thread with info on how to do this using NGINX as a rtmp server.

Further to that I just tried it and got it working on MBP connected to Atem via Ethernet/TB2.
Installed NGINX from Terminal using homebrew -
Code: Select all
brew install nginx-full --with-rtmp-module --with-debug

Amended nginx.conf in /usr/local/etc/nginx/ to #comment out the server section and ran using Terminal -
nginx

Then amended /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Switchers/streaming.xml - duplicated the facebook entry and amended name to
      <name>RTMP Stream</name>
and url to the ip address of the MBP running NGINX -
<url>rtmp://192.168.1.253/live</url>

Then restarted Atem switcher control and selected it from dropdown list for streaming using key "test"

Could then view it in VLC from any computer/phone on local lan via 'open network' in menu -
rtmp://192.168.1.253/live/test

Opened port 1935 for that IP address on my router and could then view the stream across the internet by using VLC and 'open network' - x.x.x.x is my public IP address -
rtmp://x.x.x.x/live/test

https://www.itsfullofstars.de/2020/01/nginx-with-rtmp-on-raspberry-pi-as-a-streaming-server-for-obs/ was the main inspiration / guide.
Last edited by Trevor Asquerthian on Sun May 16, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Frank Engel

PostSun May 16, 2021 10:29 am

There is also the option of using the streaming bridge on the receiving end; I believe this is exactly the type of situation it is designed for?

Mark Foster

PostSun May 16, 2021 11:59 am

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Frank Engel

PostSun May 16, 2021 12:18 pm

That appears to be the opposite of what the OP is asking for.

Jim Simon

PostSun May 16, 2021 2:11 pm

machone wrote:But I think they stream directly only to specific services, correct?
No, you can add your own web site. We do.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Howard Roll

PostSun May 16, 2021 3:18 pm

TeamViewer.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production