16 x 4k30 cmaera record option??? Hyperdecks or Cards

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

toomuchfuel

16 x 4k30 cmaera record option??? Hyperdecks or Cards

PostSun May 16, 2021 3:18 am

I need to record 16 x 4k30 cameras for 15-16 hrs/day/7 days/wk. I trialled vMix without much success running iso recorder.

I'm looking at Blackmagics Decklink Quad HDMI recorder PCi cards, but how many cards can be put into one machine, assuming the surrounding hardware can support the throughput?

Also can the Hyperdeck Studio Pro 2 record all four sdi inputs simultaneously or just one of the four?

Finally please advise what can record all 16 cameras, if frames or even files are lost, for my application this is not an issue. Budget is tight, thats more of an issue.

thank you in advance

toomuchfuel

Re: 16 x 4k30 cmaera record option??? Hyperdecks or Cards

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:01 pm

I've since found out that quad hdmi card needs 8 dedicated lanes and 99% of CPU's obly offer up to 16 lanes. vMix have also said its not possible as they need the gpu to operate. I'm also trialling Livemind.tv which seems to be more stable than vMix

Kirill Ageev

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:07 pm

You should consider the PCIe bandwidth to process raw capture data.
The solution from Softron offers 4 channels of 4K/30 capture on newest iMac Pro, so you need 4 of them plus capture cards plus license.
The Hyperdecks seem to be more affordable option, just don't put them together tigthly and ensure proper cooling.

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:50 pm

So i responded and followed your message on the Vmix FB group also were i already told you the 16 cams in vmix for that type of production was becoming a nightmare..

This is quite a big project to handle.. Especially with that much of data to store and with 16 cams going round the clock..

And no BMD does not have any Multichannel recording solutions.. Also consider that multichannel will fill up disks even faster.. And if it fails you loose multiple channels.. ;)

For the big brother type of shows there are dedicated ingest machines that capture max 4 cameras to disk and push out to a cloud storage..
That will fit a Vmix.. But trying to do 16 cams at 1 machine is just crazy.. Expect to invest at least 20/30K for your recording solution...

And btw dont look at the HDMI Quad card.. It has it's flaws.. Decklink 8K Pro will do.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

toomuchfuel

PostMon May 17, 2021 10:08 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:So i responded and followed your message on the Vmix FB group also were i already told you the 16 cams in vmix for that type of production was becoming a nightmare..

This is quite a big project to handle.. Especially with that much of data to store and with 16 cams going round the clock..

And no BMD does not have any Multichannel recording solutions.. Also consider that multichannel will fill up disks even faster.. And if it fails you loose multiple channels.. ;)

For the big brother type of shows there are dedicated ingest machines that capture max 4 cameras to disk and push out to a cloud storage..
That will fit a Vmix.. But trying to do 16 cams at 1 machine is just crazy.. Expect to invest at least 20/30K for your recording solution...

And btw dont look at the HDMI Quad card.. It has it's flaws.. Decklink 8K Pro will do.. ;)

What are the flaws of the hdmi quad card please? Also we may just record all ndi streams natively across four pc’s

Return to Live Production