Bug in the Atem Mini Extreme (ISO) hardware

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

PeterMRB

Bug in the Atem Mini Extreme (ISO) hardware

PostSun May 16, 2021 10:56 pm

Dear all,

I assume a bug in the firmware is causing the preview of Key1 being disabled once switching back from the program to the preview status via the 'CUT' transition button on the device.
Since this doesn't happen when using the 'CUT' transition from the Atem Software Control application, I assume it is a bug in the firmware of the Atem Mini Extreme (ISO). It is the ISO this bug has been discovered in.

The steps to reproduce this bug are as follows:
1. Turn on the PVW BKGD + KEY 1 in the Atem Software Control ('ASC' hereafter);
2. Cut to PGM using the ASC app
3. Cut back to PVW using the ASC app
The result of step 2 and 3 are as expected. Key 1 stays on screen and is ready to go live via the CUT transition of the ASC app.

Now repeat step 2 but CUT to PGM via the hardware panel of the Atem Mini Extreme (ISO).
Okay, so far so good.
Now step 3, CUT back to PVW via the hardware panel of the Atem Mini Extreme (ISO).
Ouch! Key 1 has been disabled by the firmware of the hardware.

Repeat steps above with Key 1 and Key 2 enabled (or all four of the KEYS at the same time).
The result of cutting to PGM via transition button on the device is as expected.
However, when cutting back to PVW via CUT on the device, KEY 1 and KEY 2 are being disabled by the firmware of the device. This does not happen whan cutting between PGM and PVW via the ASC app.

I hope the next firmware update will have solved this problem as described.

Thank you in advance!

Happy streaming,
Peter
Peter M. Riemslag Baas

watched.live

Re: Bug in the Atem Mini Extreme (ISO) hardware

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:38 am

That is a setting in the configuration of the ATEM Mini (Extreme, Pro, ISO) that you can configure connected to the USB port with your computer using the "ATEM Setup" utility. See the "ATEM Mini Setup Settings" section in the ATEM Mini Manual.

I don't have a ATEM Min Extreme ISO with me, but after changing the "Picture in Picture Keyer" setting, the Cut and Auto hardware buttons behaved the same way as the software controls.

Frank Engel

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:28 am

This is not a bug.

The ATEM Setup application has options which control this behavior for the physical control surface on the ATEM Mini series.

With the software control surface it is controlled by the buttons in the "Next Transition" section, as on the larger ATEM control surfaces - but that section is not available on the ATEM Mini series so they make it a global setting in the ATEM Setup application instead and choose to ignore the buttons on the software control surface.

Jim Simon

PostTue May 18, 2021 3:20 pm

I thin there is a bug here, though.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140514
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

PeterMRB

PostWed May 19, 2021 10:24 am

watched.live wrote:That is a setting in the configuration of the ATEM Mini (Extreme, Pro, ISO) that you can configure connected to the USB port with your computer using the "ATEM Setup" utility. See the "ATEM Mini Setup Settings" section in the ATEM Mini Manual.

I don't have a ATEM Min Extreme ISO with me, but after changing the "Picture in Picture Keyer" setting, the Cut and Auto hardware buttons behaved the same way as the software controls.

Thank you Brian. Indeed, it is not a bug but a setting to be adjusted using the Atem Setup app after connecting USB-c from the device to your computer.
It is somewhat confusing though that the software controls act differently by default from the hardware controls. I'd expect this to be similar by default and adjust it if needed. Of which I can't yet imagine circumstances in which I would like this to be.
But hey, it's solved, so once again, thanks for your reply!
Regards,
Peter
Peter M. Riemslag Baas

Frank Engel

PostThu May 20, 2021 1:08 pm

PeterMRB wrote:
watched.live wrote:It is somewhat confusing though that the software controls act differently by default from the hardware controls.

The software control panel mimics the layout of the control surfaces for the larger ATEM switchers. The "ON AIR" buttons along the top of the "Next Transition" section allow you to snap the upstream keyers on and off. The corresponding buttons below them determine what happens when you transition (cut/auto): the ""BKGD" button causes the preview and program selections to be swapped, while the buttons corresponding to the upstream keyers cause the keyers to be toggled on/off.

Thus, if the "KEY 1" button is turned on in that section, then each time you transition, the keyer turns on or off. If it is not turned on, the keyer stays as it is.

If the keyer is on and you want to cause it to go out with the transition, you can activate the "KEY 1" button and when you cut/auto the keyer will turn off (if you use "AUTO", you can have it transition out along with the background...); the complications is that the "KEY 1" stays on, and if you then transition to some other input, the keyer will come back on with it as well (unless you first turn "KEY 1" back off).

The ATEM Mini series' physical control surfaces do not have a corresponding button, so they opted to handle this differently for the physical control surface.

With the default setting, the keyer will transition out when the input is changed, but will not transition back in. With the other setting, it stays on. This is quite limiting compared to the software control surface, where I might want the keyer to come in with a background source, keep it on for a few changes of that source, then have it transition out with another. On the ATEM Mini physical control surface, you would need to manually switch it on and off separately, so it wouldn't be in sync with the background source transitions changing.

wagnercs

PostSun May 23, 2021 12:03 am

watched.live wrote:That is a setting in the configuration of the ATEM Mini (Extreme, Pro, ISO) that you can configure connected to the USB port with your computer using the "ATEM Setup" utility. See the "ATEM Mini Setup Settings" section in the ATEM Mini Manual.

Thank you. I was suffering with the Atem Extreme ISO because of that. Just made the adjustments on the Atem Mini Setup Settings and everything went fine.

Just one contribution: if the ATEM is connected on your network (via ethernet cable), there is no need to use an USB cable.

Cheerss
Wagner

PeterMRB

PostSun May 23, 2021 2:20 pm

Frank Engel wrote:
PeterMRB wrote:
watched.live wrote:It is somewhat confusing though that the software controls act differently by default from the hardware controls.

The software control panel mimics the layout of the control surfaces for the larger ATEM switchers. The "ON AIR" buttons along the top of the "Next Transition" section allow you to snap the upstream keyers on and off. The corresponding buttons below them determine what happens when you transition (cut/auto): the ""BKGD" button causes the preview and program selections to be swapped, while the buttons corresponding to the upstream keyers cause the keyers to be toggled on/off.

Thus, if the "KEY 1" button is turned on in that section, then each time you transition, the keyer turns on or off. If it is not turned on, the keyer stays as it is.

If the keyer is on and you want to cause it to go out with the transition, you can activate the "KEY 1" button and when you cut/auto the keyer will turn off (if you use "AUTO", you can have it transition out along with the background...); the complications is that the "KEY 1" stays on, and if you then transition to some other input, the keyer will come back on with it as well (unless you first turn "KEY 1" back off).

The ATEM Mini series' physical control surfaces do not have a corresponding button, so they opted to handle this differently for the physical control surface.

With the default setting, the keyer will transition out when the input is changed, but will not transition back in. With the other setting, it stays on. This is quite limiting compared to the software control surface, where I might want the keyer to come in with a background source, keep it on for a few changes of that source, then have it transition out with another. On the ATEM Mini physical control surface, you would need to manually switch it on and off separately, so it wouldn't be in sync with the background source transitions changing.

That makes sense, Frank. Thank you for your explanation.
Peter M. Riemslag Baas

Return to Live Production