Remote Record Start for Video Assist

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

watched.live

Remote Record Start for Video Assist

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:59 am

I have a series of PTZ 4k60 12g cameras that feed into my main production where I can record video on my HyperDeck Extremes, however I would like to have an additional recording at the camera location, however I want to be able to remote start and stop the recording without moving to each camera. I don't see documentation from my camera that I could trigger a record signal off the SDI signal, so the Video Assist behavior of triggering off of the SDI signal may not be sufficient.

The 7" models of Video Assist have the LANC connector on them, and can have the recording triggered that way, however I've not seen a reasonable route of passing a remote signal to the LANC to then pass on to the Video Assist ($469 for a Skaarhoj ETH-LANC Linc seems higher than reasonable).

Has someone figured out a way to reliably trigger the recording on a remote Blackmagic recorder? The UltraStudio 4K mini also doesn't have a ethernet connection, and a HyperDeck Studio 12G is too large for my remote locations. A Video Assist 7" 12G HDR would fit into the form of my remote "islands", but I'd have no way to control it.

Howard Roll

Re: Remote Record Start for Video Assist

PostTue May 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Hyperdeck panel is designed to control/gang multiple Hyperdecks.

http://hyperdeck.iamjeffamato.com

Good Luck

watched.live

Re: Remote Record Start for Video Assist

PostTue May 18, 2021 6:22 pm

The issue there is that both the HyperDeck Extreme 8K and HyperDeck Studio 12G are too large physically for the remote location (not to mention the 8K would be ridiculously more than needed). The HyperDeck Studio Mini only goes up to 2160p30 (not 60).

I don't see a way for the HyperDeck Panel to interact with an UltraStudio, but I can't find full documentation on the program either without purchase. If it could, then as solution could be to place a Raspberry PI with each UltraStudio and HyperDeck Panel on each PI.

Return to Live Production