switch different bg pictures with one press of a button

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

fft2911

switch different bg pictures with one press of a button

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 4:40 am

Hi,
I have a ATEM Mini Pro, an ATEM Mini Pro Iso and a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. I use the Mini Pro for accessing the Camera and Chroma Keying and the pro ISO takes the HDMI output of the mini Pro and does PiP when I want people to see me and my Desktop in an online Demonstration.
Basically the System is one "big" Webcam to my Mac. I do this, to have it seperated from my Mac, and not to take computing power away from my mac. It works very well, except one little ting, that bugs me from the beginning:
I was hoping to have different backgrounds for the Chrome key (Media Pictures) with one press of a button. How many? 2-3 would be great, the more the better :-) But I never got an idea, how this can be handled _WITHOUT_ using the software. The idea behind ist, that if a topic I talk about is importand, I want to press one button on an Atem, to change my Backgound picture, to make it visible for the people, that it is now importand, and afterwards I want to switch back again with a single press of one button on an ATEM. I wonder how this could be achived. Does anyone here have a tip for me? I saw the ATEM Mini Extreme and noticed, that it could be an idea, but reading the manual I cannot find a description, that I see as a solution.

Any help welcome. Many thanks in advance.
Juergen

adamtow

Re: switch different bg pictures with one press of a button

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 2:16 pm

You’ll probably want to create a macro to switch between the backgrounds. Since the ATEM Mini Pro and ATEM Mini Pro ISO do not have buttons that you can reassign to a macro, you’ll need to get something like a Stream Deck (https://www.elgato.com/en/stream-deck) and run Companion (https://bitfocus.io) on your Mac. This will give you the buttons you want to run macros on your ATEMs.

fft2911 wrote:Hi,
I have a ATEM Mini Pro, an ATEM Mini Pro Iso and a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. I use the Mini Pro for accessing the Camera and Chroma Keying and the pro ISO takes the HDMI output of the mini Pro and does PiP when I want people to see me and my Desktop in an online Demonstration.
Basically the System is one "big" Webcam to my Mac. I do this, to have it seperated from my Mac, and not to take computing power away from my mac. It works very well, except one little ting, that bugs me from the beginning:
I was hoping to have different backgrounds for the Chrome key (Media Pictures) with one press of a button. How many? 2-3 would be great, the more the better :-) But I never got an idea, how this can be handled _WITHOUT_ using the software. The idea behind ist, that if a topic I talk about is importand, I want to press one button on an Atem, to change my Backgound picture, to make it visible for the people, that it is now importand, and afterwards I want to switch back again with a single press of one button on an ATEM. I wonder how this could be achived. Does anyone here have a tip for me? I saw the ATEM Mini Extreme and noticed, that it could be an idea, but reading the manual I cannot find a description, that I see as a solution.

Any help welcome. Many thanks in advance.
Juergen
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

fft2911

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Sounds awesome... And I already have Stream Deck :-) Many thanks!
New to Blackmagic since Nov 2020 I own a ATEM Mini Pro ISO and a Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

fft2911

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 5:34 pm

Hi. Just installed companion, got it to run, and it works like a charm. I also found a profile in the streamdeck app, to switch to companion by pressing a button on the stream deck.
Does anyone have an idea, of I can switch the profile back from compaion to streamdeck, when I am done with companion? At the moiment the only solution I see is klicking in the streamdeck app to use the default streamdeck profile. Is there a way to have a companion instance/connection where I can chance the streamdeck profile with.
many thanks for any help
Juergen
New to Blackmagic since Nov 2020 I own a ATEM Mini Pro ISO and a Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Return to Live Production