ATEM Mini Pro - Issues with stream key and OME Oven Media

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

GeorgeWilliam

ATEM Mini Pro - Issues with stream key and OME Oven Media

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 12:09 pm

Hi Fellow BM Users!

Lately i'm exploring new streamingplatforms and i have ran into ovenmediaserver (which seems to be awesome, sub-second latency and so on). When configuring the Oven Media Engine, i wanted to have some kind of authentication, to prevent rogue users from hijacking stream sessions. Oven Media handles authentication based on so-called SignedPolicies.

in order to use a signedpolicy, you need to change the streamkey from (for instance) "myendpoint" to "myendpoint?policy=longstring&signature=longstring".

In OBS this works flawlessly, However on the ATEM Mini Pro i cannot get this to work.

What have i tested on my own:
* Created a custom XML config with "just the url" of the streamservice, and adding the complete string as mentioned above in the stream-key field.
* Created a custom XML config with the entire streamservice url + the string as above.
* Created a custom XML config with the URL of the streamservice and part of the string above.
* Applied standard HTML encoding to any of the above options (so ? becomes %3F and so on).
* Replaced the Ampersand with both & as the HTML Encoded version %26 (as the Ampersand seems to generate some issues in the XML config.

I event went as far as to export the entire settings from the ATEM via the menuoption "File->Save and File->Restore" with any of the options above.

With every test i have ran PCAP's on the servers, and it almost looks like the streamkey field is not handled correctly if there is any "special" character in there.

Basicly i now have an issue where i have an seemingly awesome mediaserver (low latency is a must with my customers) but no way to use a BM ATEM Mini Pro with this server, other than use OBS as an intermediate which on its turn applies additional latency.

Can someone help me out, i know OME (Oven Media Engine) is not a very well known product yet, but their view on the world is refreshing and it does add a nice touch to sub-second latency streaming. I think BM is able to support custom authentication credentials, yet i have not found the correct way to add the policy and signature as requested by OME.

I hope someone over here has already looked into this, and knows what to do. Another option is to call in BM Support, but i feel like this way of auth is already supported since it does work for Wowza alternatives.

Return to Live Production