ATEM Mini Extreme CUT/AUTO buttons don't work

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mothergrid

ATEM Mini Extreme CUT/AUTO buttons don't work

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 am

Hello everyone,

I'm facing a problem with my ATEM Mini Extreme and hope you can help me:
The ATEM is set to Program/Preview mode, but the CUT and AUTO buttons on the machine itself don't work, it looks like the real buttons are inA/B direct mode.

I can control it perfectly with the CUT and AUTO buttons in the software and also with a Stream Deck.

I already updated the Atem Software Control and the firmware of the ATEM, but nothin helps.

I appreciate any hints that help me solve this problem, thank you!

Here's a video that might help understand my issue:

adamtow

Re: ATEM Mini Extreme CUT/AUTO buttons don't work

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 2:05 pm

What if you go to the ATEM Setup application, tap on the config button (looks like a menu inside a circle, next to the ASC button). In the screen that appears, you’ll be able to switch between Cut Bus and Program/Preview.

Update: Added screenshot

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 09.07.20.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 09.07.20.png (235.62 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
Last edited by adamtow on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

Howard Roll

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 2:47 pm

Unlike every other switcher in the known universe, those buttons on the Mini only select the transition type, they don’t invoke the transition.

Probably because there is no way to access the PVW bus from the AMP’s hardware.

I know, don’t get me started.

Good Luck

robertsmu

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:36 pm

I don’t know what Howard is talking about, but those buttons indeed “invoke the transition”.

Frank Engel

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 11:43 am

Not sure about the Extreme models, but the smaller Mini models default to "Cut Bus" mode. In that mode, the CUT and AUTO buttons are used to switch between a straight cut and some other type of transition, and you actually invoke the transition by selecting the input you want to transition to. The buttons for selecting the input immediately impact the program output and do not go through preview.

If you use ATEM Setup to change the Mini to use "Program Preview" mode then they work as they are supposed to - the input buttons change the preview and the CUT/AUTO buttons actually perform the transition.

At least, that is how it is supposed to work. The OP already indicated he is in "Program Preview" mode so it should be working as intended; if it is not, and the switcher was indeed set for "Program Preview" then it sounds like a bug has been discovered. I would make sure your software is the most current version available, try changing the setting back and forth, making sure it has been saved to the Extreme, and if that doesn't resolve the problem, contact support directly for assistance rather than going through the forum.

codedeltajames

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 2:13 pm

Frank Engel wrote:The OP already indicated he is in "Program Preview" mode so it should be working as intended; if it is not, and the switcher was indeed set for "Program Preview" then it sounds like a bug has been discovered.

My suspicion is that they have changed the setting in Atem Software Control (which only affects the virtual panel, not the actual mixer), not Atem Setup.

While I can't confirm if the Atem Mini Extreme comes set up in Program/Preview mode by default as we've already made sure that setting is applied on ours, I can confirm it works the same as the rest of the Mini range when it's set that way.

mothergrid

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 am

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, I finally solved the problem in the ATEM Setup where I had to switch from Cut Bus to Program Preview. I had to directly connect my Macbook to the ATEM though to be able to reach this menu. Have a good one everybody!

Return to Live Production