Studio Camera 4k Freeze and Coloured Lines On Display

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Larry_KHCC

Studio Camera 4k Freeze and Coloured Lines On Display

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 3:46 pm

I hope the forum can help me isolate the issue I'm experiencing. With 2 BMD Studio Camera 4ks. There are 2 issues actually.

1) After about an hour of operation, the LCD display on the camera will suddenly show vertical lines. This also shows up on the ATEM TV Studio HD and goes out the program feed as well. The funny thin is if we switch the camera view to program everything looks fine. See below for images.

2) 3-4 Times on Sunday the camera would hang/freeze. The image on the LCD display would freeze and the only fix was a power cycle.

Is this a known issue? Do I have 1 (or maybe 2) defective cameras? What's going on here. Is there a fix for this in 7.3?

Note: We've been using these cameras since covid started without issue. Also, we just moved the cameras, and our entire broadcast setup, to another room. The issues only started after we set everything back up.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Larry B

Funny Lines 1

Funny Lines 2

Program View (As seen on 10" LCD Display)

RichardJolly

Re: Studio Camera 4k Freeze and Coloured Lines On Display

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 5:06 pm

Hi Larry, I've had 2 x Studio Cameras HD and 2 x Studio Cameras 4K for several years. I have never experienced the lines, but experienced isolated instances of the whole camera, monitor and (usually OF) output freezing and requiring a power cycle. The instances have been too far apart to have been a concern. We typically run the cameras for about 9 hours at a time, for one, two or three consecutive days, but only about twice a month (conferences).
One other note about the cameras. All the 12V 2.5A "wall wart" PSUs supplied by BMD failed to power them at all after a while and I replaced them all with small 12V 5A PSUs (with separate IEC leads) found on e-bay, similar to this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132353184783 ... SwY7pZt13~

I also used 14V broadcast camera PSUs temporarily. I came to the conclusion that, in the absence of a physical microswitch in the socket, the camera sensed the input DC voltage and switched to it, but as the original PSUs aged their voltages dropped to below the sensing threshold. I have no evidence, however, that this was linked to the freezing, but you might try a 14V broadcast camera PSU as a test.
I also have 2 x Micro Studio Cameras, but never experienced any freezes with those.

Larry_KHCC

Re: Studio Camera 4k Freeze and Coloured Lines On Display

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi Richard, thanks for your reply. The hanging problem hasn't happened since my original post but the funny lines showed up again yesterday.

Glad to know that the cameras can run continuously for 9 hours. Our runtime is about 1/3rd of that once or twice a week. It's unfortunate too as the cameras are only 16 months old and out of warranty I believe :cry: .

BMD Support, any thoughts?

Return to Live Production