Would like more audio channels output on SDI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ola Haldor Voll

Would like more audio channels output on SDI

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 8:52 am

We really wish we could output more channels than the two mixed down audio channels from the ATEM mixer software. Basically we'd like to have audio pass-through on PGM SDI.

Right now we're recording a musical and have 2 channels voice and 4 channels orchestra cabled from the audio guys to the cameras close by their audio mixer.

Making our own mix on the fly is something we can't do, but we have plenty of time in post. Audio pass through with 8 channels to record on our KiPro would mean a lot for the future.

Robert Betzner

Re: Would like more audio channels output on SDI

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 am

Get an audio-embedder. They are cheap and you can ingest up to 16 channels of audio to the HD-SDI signal if you like. The one from BMD can embed 4 channels so you would end up with 6 channels if you buy only one:

1+2 ATEM
3+4 Embedder
5+6 Embedder

Cheers

pro

Quinn Quality

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 5:19 pm

You also could expand your gear with a audio multichannel recorder like the Allen & Heath ICE-16D multitrack-recorder + audio interface and record each channel on its own track from the audio guys and put the multitrack under the video in your editing software. That is, if you don't have problems with syncing the files. It works great for me and the price is very interesting for such a device. I always use it in my multi cam music and theatre productions. It also gives you freedom in placing the camera's where you like without cabling from the mixer. Additional cables are mentioned in the instruction of the Allen & Heath recorder and makes it useful to be able to hook up to any mixer at the production.
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Aleksander Steffensen

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 6:31 pm

I guess this is a feature that would be useful to others as well.. Still, these things always take a lot of time for BMD to implement, and I am sure it is not high on the list :roll:

The ICE-16 is a good choice for multi-track recording. If you're interested, you can contact me for a good price, Ola :) Though I guess you'd still have to deembed the audio from the SDI signals first...
Steffensen Multimedia
http://www.stmm.no

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:09 pm

Pro, are you shure, that an incomming audio signal really is pass trough ? I fear, that incoming audio is cutted off, when using the embedder...
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Quinn Quality

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks Aleksander for your +1 on the ICE-16. Do you also sell the multi cables for through ore insert? What would be the prices for an 8 multi cable . (don't worry for the shipment, i have an address in Norway for sending it to)
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Aleksander Steffensen

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Quinn Quality wrote:Thanks Aleksander for your +1 on the ICE-16. Do you also sell the multi cables for through ore insert? What would be the prices for an 8 multi cable . (don't worry for the shipment, i have an address in Norway for sending it to)

Not sure if I understand exactly what you're looking for, can you clarify? Are you thinking of using the inserts on an audio mixer to send the audio to the ICE and back again?

Edit: I think I understand what you need. Don't have any on-the-shelf products like that, but we could produce a custom cable for you. Let me know in a PM if you're interested in having one made. :)
Steffensen Multimedia

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 9:24 am

The inserts are the best points to get a pre fader signal

Aleksander Steffensen

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Thomas Seewald wrote:The inserts are the best points to get a pre fader signal

Yep, if you don't have direct out. But a regular insert cable wouldn't work, so you would have to tweak it abit.. Connect ring to tip on the mixer-side and disconnect the ring on the ICE-side.

But let's not capture the thread with this discussion ;)
Steffensen Multimedia

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Yep, if you don't have direct out
Unfortunately, a lot of "direct outs" are post fade .... ;-)

Jonas Bengtson

PostSat Oct 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Incoming signal is passed through IF you configure the embedder to not embed on the channels you want passed through. If you embed on for example 1/2 they will be overwritten but if you embed in group 5/6/7/8, 1/2 will be passed through.

Return to Live Production