ATEM mini extreme ISO and reframe of 4K cameras

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JJ Falsetta

ATEM mini extreme ISO and reframe of 4K cameras

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 6:22 pm

Hello. Does anybody knows if the hdmi inputs of the mini extreme ISO can feed in clean 4K so to do some zoom in and reframe? I used to do this on OBS studio to get additional “fake” camera points. Thank you

Tim_Partridge

Re: ATEM mini extreme ISO and reframe of 4K cameras

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 7:26 pm

As far as I know the Mini series only takes in 1080 resolution, not 4K

Nor (in case you were wondering) do I know of a way of getting a pocket cinema camera to send an arbitrary 1080 crop of its sensor to its output.

Regards,

Tim

abba2566

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 11:59 am

I'm pretty sure there isn't by default. The only way I've thought of doing it, would be to send it through another device (like a HDMI splitter) and send one clean into your ATEM and then the other into a laptop with a capture card. Reframe in OBS there and then send it out (using an OBS projector) via another HDMI cable into the ATEM.

You could of course also just crop in on your atem feed in OBS, assuming that that's your final delivery method for a live stream and then cut between your cropped shot and uncropped, although you will always have to cut between those two shots as it's really hard to time a cut in OBS and on the switcher at exactly the same frame.

Both of these methods will lead to a reduction in quality though, if you're using a BMP camera, as I believe they both only support FHD over HDMI. If you're using other cameras that do support 4K over HDMI then, so long as the laptop capture card supports 4K the first method *should* work (I've never actually tried it.)

mac25h

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 7:57 pm

I'm in a similar situation.
Did you find a solution to this?

MarcusAlzona

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 4:42 pm

mac25h wrote:I'm in a similar situation.
Did you find a solution to this?

I too am in a similar situation. Currently, we use a DataVideo KMU-200 to take a fixed 4K camera signal and effectively turn it into 4 cropped “virtual” 1080p cameras. The KMU-200 also does the streaming as well, allowing the operator to switch between these 4 (touchscreen adjustable) 1080p virtual cameras, a 1080p version of the full 4K view, and an HDMI/PC 1080p input(slides or secondary camera).

Before we got the KMU-200, I utilized my ATEM Mini Pro with multiple temporary cameras set up for each event, which (as we all know) has a feature set second to none - and my preference would be to utilize an ATEM Extreme. However, to do so, I would need some way to take the 4K HDMI signal and split it into multiple cropped 1080p signals to feed into the multiple ATEM Extreme inputs.

We should be able to use a 4K 1-to-8 signal splitter to duplicate the main 4K camera for processing. However, while there may or may not be a way to do cropping of each distinct ATEM HDMI input, I’m assuming that the cropping is done post-down conversion from 4K to 1080p…..and so using the built-in ATEM crop, we would take a a 4K signal, turn into 1080p, then take a 600p-480p crop of that and upscale it to 1080p for the stream. As the current KMU-200 native cropping is already somewhat problematic for clarity during some lighting conditions, I am concerned about this 4K-1080-480-1080 down/upscale routing (if it’s even possible).

It also occurs to me that I could create an OBS setup with a computer with 4 1080p HDMI outputs, that rendered a different crop to each output, that is then fed to 4 of the ATEM Extreme inputs. However, this seems to be a much more complex solution, which could add significant risk for a non-technical volunteer operator.

Ideally, there would be a device that could take one 4K input and have multiple cropped 1080p outputs - or even one that just goes from 1 4K to a 1080p user-defined crop(and get one cropping device for each input).

Anyone know of such a device? Or perhaps if there will be a future ATEM with 4K input? :-)

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 5:40 am

I'm not sure that there are any low cost devices that do 4K region of interest scaling/extraction. In addition to the DataVideo KMU-200, I also mentioned a couple of other devices along these lines in this earlier thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153760#p818771

In addition to the ones mentioned in that post, there's also the Analog Way VIO 4K, Roland VC-100UHD, or Panasonic even has an 8K ROI system for this (https://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/product ... era_system). These devices are all in the several thousand dollar range though, unfortunately.

You might also take a look at video wall scalers, such as the Datapath Hx4 or Matrox Q2GH4K. These are more intended for setting the crop regions once (rather than doing live virtual camera moves) so they may not be as convenient for on the fly re-configuration. They may be a bit more affordable than devices aimed at the pro video market though, but are still not exactly inexpensive.

Return to Live Production