BMPCC 6K Pro output issues with Constellation

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Evan Vickers

BMPCC 6K Pro output issues with Constellation

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 7:01 pm

OK, quick overview of my setup:
ATEM Constellation running at 1080p59.94.
Main cameras are combo of URSA and Micro Studio cams.
We added 3 BMPCC 6K Pro's for our stage cams with the plan to be able to control them via software control.
We have the Bi-Directional converters, and the control part works.

My issue starts with the video output.
By default, running the camera at 6K (BRAW), I get bars at the top and bottom of the image from the camera (because the full 16:9 6K only goes to 50fps), and I loose all control to change output settings beyond the BRAW options while the SDI-in for the control signal is connected to the Bi-directional converter. But I can control the exposure, etc from the software control.

If I disconnect the SDI-In, I can change settings on camera again to UHD to get 59.94 and no letterbox (and a heck of a crop factor I'm not a fan of, but whatever), but obviously I loose software camera control.
With the SDI-In disconnected I found I could get a proper output image by changing to ProRes (since apparently I can't have BRAW on the UHD setting). I was really happy, until I realized that as soon as I plug the converter in it switches over to the letterboxed 6k BRAW again.

I understand part of the issue is that I am running 59.94, and at 6K (16:9) the camera can only do 50 fps, but why is UHD not possible with BRAW? Why does the camera switch to BRAW when camera control is connected?

Am I missing a setting in-camera or switcher that would allow me to get un un-letterboxed 16x9 image at 1080p59.94? I was pulling my hair out the other day trying to figure out what was going on.

Return to Live Production