ATEM Setup Stuck in Connecting State

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Linden deCarmo

ATEM Setup Stuck in Connecting State

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 10:27 pm

Updated my switcher software from 8.5.3 to 8.6.2. The setup utility sees both our 2 M/E and the ATEM CCU Panel. It updated the CCU Panel firmware. However, When I click on the ATEM 2 M/E it reports connecting and is stuck in that state. Tried three different PCs and they all hang in connecting and never connect to the ATEM.

This was with Ethernet. Tried USB and the had the same results (although I didn't try a USB 2.0 port which others report success with). My guess is no firmware update is necessary but I'd like for setup to connect so that I know I've got a functional setup. Power cycled the PCs and the ATEM and that didn't help.

Should connections to the 2 M/E work with ethernet or is USB required?

Edit: Tried it with a Macbook and the results are the same as Windows. Just shows Connecting, but never connects.

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM Setup Stuck in Connecting State

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 9:02 am

It feels like BMD is stopping support on the old 2me panels.. As those panels also report that you can not conenct them anymore to the Atem minis....

It's a shame that BMD is stopping the support on these panels so soon due to there new panels are on the market.. :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Linden deCarmo

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 1:52 pm

I've opened a support ticket with BlackMagic. Let's see what they say on this Connecting issue.

Are you referring to the ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K potentially being end of lifed for support or the ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 10:15 am

2ME atem control panel.

But also the Atem 2ME and 4ME seems to be "done" at bmd.. As there are NO updates more that fix things..

My 4ME Broadcast now has a 7hour, 55minutes and 28 seconds Offset between the timecode you punch in on the Atem software and what is embedded by the Atem.. This is since 1 of the 8.X fw updates.. :roll: :|
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Linden deCarmo

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 4:34 pm

The BlackMagic rep in the ticket says the "Connecting...." freeze from ATEM Setup isn't expected with the 2 M/E. Diagnosing with them now. ATEM Software Controls works fine with the 2 M/E and so does the CCU panel. Its only ATEM Setup that's broken.

Would be interesting to find out if anyone else has this issue with the 2 M/E Production Studio 4K and ATEM Setup.

But also the Atem 2ME and 4ME seems to be "done" at bmd.. As there are NO updates more that fix things..

My guess is if there's no chip shortage or virus lockdowns, we'd likely have a new ATEM models that replaced them. We still might have replacements on Thursday (although as you said in the other thread, unlikely due to the chip shortages).

Linden deCarmo

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:30 pm

BlackMagic tech support believe we have a hardware issue with the 2 M/E which is causing ATEM Setup to hang while connecting. The odd thing is the ATEM Software Control app, the CCU Panel, JustMacros, Bitcompanion and Cerevo tally are able to connect to it and all ATEM Software Control functionality works. Its just ATEM Setup that can't connect.

Would really like to know if someone else with a ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K could verify that its working properly with 8.6.2.

From a history standpoint, we're upgrading from 8.5.3.

Matt Certa

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 4:04 pm

you might not be crazy. I cant connect to my 2ME prod studio 4K either via ethernet or USB. I know I connected in Setup with 8.6.1

Linden deCarmo

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 7:04 pm

Matt Certa wrote:you might not be crazy. I cant connect to my 2ME prod studio 4K either via ethernet or USB. I know I connected in Setup with 8.6.1

Aha! I'm not going crazy. Thanks for helping restore my sanity. I will let Black Magic Tech Support know that its not just me experiencing the issue.

I specifically asked them to test 8.6.2 in their lab on the 2ME prod studio 4K and they said it worked.

Return to Live Production