New Web Presenter 4K, why no HDMI 2.0 input?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Christopher Dobey

New Web Presenter 4K, why no HDMI 2.0 input?

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 7:32 pm

With the 2020 Tokyo Olympics streaming in 2160p59.94 and broadcasting in 2160p59.94 HDR, it's fantastic to see the high frame rate, hi resolution format being used to its full extent.

Since so many cameras can output 2160p59.94 over HDMI 2.0, how come Blackmagic has decided to go with 12G SDI input only for the new Web Presenter 4K? The ATEM Mini Pro works so well for offloading the computer CPU encoding demand to hardware but is capped at 1080p60. I hope then there will be an ATEM Mini Pro 4K or Web Presenter 4K HDMI as it would be a perfect fit for a current production where a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G is working fine, but the computer has to do all the encoding/streaming instead of the unit and is more likely to drop frames.

Blackmagic - is there any fan noise rating for the Web Presenter 4K? for the original Web Presenter I ended up unplugging the internal fan and mounting a silent PC fan on the side perforations since the noise was annoying in a quiet studio environment.

Thank you!
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: New Web Presenter 4K, why no HDMI 2.0 input?

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 7:29 am

guess you'll need to splurge on one of those :D
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... TERAMIN-02

Christopher Dobey

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 6:02 pm

Thank you for the response Raphael, a converter is certainly an option but the added complexity, cabling, and latency is not ideal.

Do you happen to know how much latency in milliseconds the Teranex Mini would add to the chain? 'Zero latency' is mentioned in the manual, but only in reference to the added latency of the HDMI instant lock feature.

"The HDMI instant lock feature can introduce a small delay in video and audio, so if you need zero delay in your converted output you can bypass the HDMI instant lock feature by deselecting the checkbox."

Here we have a discussion of Teranex Mini latency but it's mentioned in frames and the frame rate is not specified, which is anywhere from 80ms latency in 60p to 208ms in 24p. I'm focused on knowing the delay for 2160p59.94.
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Raphaël Jacquot

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 6:49 pm

Christopher Dobey wrote:Thank you for the response Raphael, a converter is certainly an option but the added complexity, cabling, and latency is not ideal.

Do you happen to know how much latency in milliseconds the Teranex Mini would add to the chain? 'Zero latency' is mentioned in the manual, but only in reference to the added latency of the HDMI instant lock feature.

"The HDMI instant lock feature can introduce a small delay in video and audio, so if you need zero delay in your converted output you can bypass the HDMI instant lock feature by deselecting the checkbox."

Here we have a discussion of Teranex Mini latency but it's mentioned in frames and the frame rate is not specified, which is anywhere from 80ms latency in 60p to 208ms in 24p. I'm focused on knowing the delay for 2160p59.94.

there should be no real delay, probably a couple pixels tops

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 5:37 pm

The new Web Presenter 4 K appears to have been designed to be paired with the ATEM SDI program out, adding live streaming to these switchers. Also, it can be used directly with any SDI out camera, like the Ursa Mini/Broadcast series, and the new BMD Studio Camera 4K Pro. The HDMI Pocket cameras have the ATEM Mini for streaming solutions, and the new WP4K adds streaming to the pro end of the BMD line. BMD tends to make niche products for a specific app,I stink, instead of a muliti-solution platform like the previous WP, which had both HDMI and SDI inputs, but didn’t work very well in some applications.

I think making products for a specific application, done well is a good approach, as multi-solution devices are always a compromise, and not always the best solution. I prefer having a product that does what it was designed for without any compromises to make it more universal. I think the new Web Presenter 4K with SDI only in/outputs is spot on. If you need to switch between different types of inputs, then add a video switcher.

Perhaps BMD will add a HDMI 4K version if demand looks like it would support one. I would welcome one to use with a single HDMI style camera for live streaming where only one camera is needed. That said, my Micro Studio camera is normally the camera I reach for in this situation, and will be adding the new SDI WP 4K to use with this camera for streaming.

The HDMI version would be nice to use with a camera like the Nikon Z6, which I also have, but Nikon has a software streaming solution available for it. The BMD Pocket Cameras do not output UHD, so a 4K WP is overkill for them, but an HD version would work with them, and would cost less also.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production