Help needed with remotely controlled interview setup

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Christian Schmitt

Help needed with remotely controlled interview setup

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 2:58 pm

Hi,
because of COVID my work became more decentralised. To not have to travel to a regular site of operation all the time, I was thinking about the possibility of remotely operating a BMSC4pro and an ATEM(xxx) via the WWW?

The Problem:
I regularly need to record interviews (classic stand-up corporate talking head) in a city I'm not living.

The idea:
Installing a fixed interview set-up in a small room.
Control Iris and Focus and audio levels remotely via web.
Have a (mildly tech savvy) colleague from another department in the other city as a help for anything that needs in person adjustment, like tripod height and framing.
Record an h264/5 to a cloud service (if possible, otherwise just to USB/SDcard and the colleague does an upload after).

The solution:
Well, is there any?
I'm open to almost anything:) I will go as far as mounting an iPad on a tripod for realtime "coaching" of the colleague via Teams:)
This is not for CNN or a high-end corporate video, but the outcome should look professional - opposed to just doing it via Teams/Zoom/Webcam.

Anyone of you doing sth like this with Blackmagicdesign products?

Tim_Partridge

Re: Help needed with remotely controlled interview setup

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 1:25 am

Take a look at this https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131574&p=717629, including the link given.

I recall people have mentioned timeout issues over long distances but can't find a post.

Controlling focus remotely might be challenging if there is any network delay.

Regards,

Tim

Return to Live Production